Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default The Good (The New RT) The bad (my Health)

Its been a week know since I took a test ride on the new RT, I still have a smile on my face about that 20 minutes of fun.

I orderd my RS September 2007 after a great test ride arranged my my Local Dealer, who unfortuatly due to our current economic situation did not survive the down turn. I picked it up on my way home from a hospital stay (still with about a hundred stapes in my body holding me together) that was April 04 2008, I just couln't wait any longer. Since that date even with my restaints I ride the at every opportunity possible. It took a while to get used to coming of my Harley Ultra but even though the HD was great machine and I put on multiple thousand of miles, the extra safty of that third wheel was premium and although I took a Leman conversion out for a test it did not feel comfortable to me , too much push for my taste.

So a very happy 18 months have past and I became 'one ' with my RS. The only extras I purchased was a rear back rest and rack plus the obviouse must 'Ride On' and thanks to Lamonts promotion with the company its a great value for the money.

Now my criticism of the RS remains the same as it has always been, Minimal Passenger comfort and rear peg placement, having ridden on the back to see what if felt like I agree with my spouse the Ultra wins, no contest in this department. I soon got used to the quite exhaust and have grown to like it, my Sampsons are great for the HD but a loud was not for me.

Full foward 18 months and along comes the RT, looks kinda nice in the adds, can't wait to see it for real. I checked with the BRP website and find that a reasonably local dealship, in fact the one I get my maintainence stuff from were going to be offering test rides in the middle of November, I loged on and booked a ride right away, Midweek and lucky for me the availablity was right near the end of my two weeks of Medial testings as things were not going well for me at that time . My test ride at Elk Grove Powersports CA was booked at 10 am and the temps that day were looking good, no rain and about 45-50 degrees, my PE 2492 really likes this temp range and goes so well as I usually fight high temps here in the valley of many days over the 100 mark and thats not too comfortable.

I got to Elk Grove Powersports after a spirited 100 mile ride looking for my first peak at the RT, and they had five on display 4 manual, one Auto, I selected the manual as thats what I have now and I wanted a true comparison.

My overall impression was beyond my expectations as I entered this on the score sheet for BRP. The rear seat unit was so much better designed for my spouse the pegs now in the correct place and there was a little side support but still no armrest which I found out on a long tour are essential, a small items that would make all the difference, why this was missed beats me as everthing else was great to be sure.

The one I selcted to ride had just about every extra known to man, fully loaded to the max and even before riding it felt so comfortable It was an instant hit for me. The extra Width was not even noticeable but the comfort of the stearing and position was excellent. The usual complaints about the windhield and mirros have been fixed , and it was intereing that I could now hear the engine as my short windsheild on my RS allows the windnoise to drown out the engine purr, and it purred fine. I could have ridden it for the rest of the day and then some, Its a WINNER for sure, a really great machine and I sure hope it is a success.

Out of the 5 people that were in my batch of ridders I was the only one with experience of a so I felt a little cramped, I wanted to always go faster especial around the turns like the lead rider but the other 4 ridders just wanted to crawl around the course. I mentined this to Subrina Spanner of Elk Groves sales unit and they said that they would be receiving there own test unit the following week and I could return for a 'reall ride' now thats what I was taking about. She also stated that if I stayed around till the eveing I would be about to go out with a BRP rep by ourselves, Alas I had my last medical appointment that late afternoon and I had to decline that very generouse offer.

The store/Shop put on a well 'put together event' along with BRP and I cannot thank them enough for their help that day, my only complaint was the dougnuts, I prefer a hot dog any days, but what am I saying, my only complaint was free dougnuts......

I made arrangement to follow up in a few days for the 'one on one' test ride and headed north for my last Hospital visit of the last 14 days (riding the back and forth made most of the services at leat passible.

After an exilirating day My pulse rate was way high, I met with the team of Doctors re the results of the last 14 days and everyone had the same news for me, and that was to enjoy the next few months as much as I can as I have at last lost the battle despite all of their care and attention, OK so I asked them to give it too me straight, however its not easy being told, no matter how hard you are, even if you almost expect it, its still a big shock, My spouse met me at the hospital and could not attend the initial ride due to her work shedule by this meeting was very important for us both, as we have been together for the past 49 years. I still owe just under $28,000 on our house so it would be iresonsible for me to order the RT as the money we have saved for the new purchase must obvoiusly go here now and I need to take care of things while I can.

For all of you that ordered the RT without even riding it, you have done well, its a true wonderfull machine and also if you have dealership support like I have for my entire time with The thats just icing on the cake. Enjoy your new machine and I will continue to ride my as long as I can, I am sure this has been great theraphy to me for the past 18 months and will continue for a while yet.

Take care Spyderriders, Ride Safe and enjoy life. Barry.B

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRider2492 View Post
    ... After an exilirating day My pulse rate was way high, I met with the team of Doctors re the results of the last 14 days and everyone had the same news for me, and that was to enjoy the next few months as much as I can as I have at last lost the battle despite all of their care and attention, OK so I asked them to give it too me straight, however its not easy being told, no matter how hard you are, even if you almost expect it, its still a big shock, My spouse met me at the hospital and could not attend the initial ride due to her work shedule by this meeting was very important for us both, as we have been together for the past 49 years. I still owe just under $28,000 on our house so it would be iresonsible for me to order the RT as the money we have saved for the new purchase must obvoiusly go here now and I need to take care of things while I can...
    You have my prayers, Barry.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

That's some pretty terrible news about your health. I'm at a loss for words. Your attitude seems pretty good considering. I hope you have good quality of life for as long as possible. When your time comes, I hope you do not experience a lot of pain and that you are at peace with your life.

I'm glad the Spyder has given you a lot of enjoyment since you've owned one. All you can do, all anyone can do, is to live life to the fullest.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    You have my prayers, Barry.
    Mine too! I applaud your upbeat attitude. I'm glad the Spyder can make these days enjoyable for you despite overwhelming difficulty. You are a credit to Spyder riders everywhere.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I appreciate you sharing this with us Barry and I hope the doctors are wrong. I have a good friend that has been told he has months to live for the last 7 years and it looks as though his time is short he's still hanging in there. I hope you use this time to enjoy the things you love and most importantly the ones you love. Please keep us updated and we'll keep you and your family in our prayers.

Spyder Garage

Great Review of the RT. Bummer about the news on your health. You wil be in my prayers for amiracle - they do happen. I applaude your courage and zeal. May God Bless You and send his healing to you.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

My thoughts and prayers are with you Barry. Lamonster is right... hang in there and keep your chin up, and most important enjoy the ones you love and the things you love while you can. Love is the only thing you can take with you and it sounds like you and your family are not lacking in that department. God bless you and heal you.
    Wow what a ride!! Love my spyder!!

Spyder Garage

You and your family will be in our prayers.

Spyder Garage

Sending my good thoughts and prayers your way! Enjoy your and maybe the dr's are wrong - I hope so! Miracles do happen!

Spyder Garage

My prayers for you, and your family.

john

Spyder Garage

My prayers are with you and your family ! Enjoy your for as long as you can. Hope the Doctors are wrong !!
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

My prayers are with you and your family as well. Keep on ryding and living each day to its fullest as long as you are able. Hopefully the few months will become years, after all doctors are only "practicing" medicine you know.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I applaud your upbeat attitude. I'm glad the Spyder can make these days enjoyable for you despite overwhelming difficulty. You are a credit to Spyder riders everywhere.
    It sounds like "ryde-therapy" has been good for you. Keep it up!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Default Savor EVERY moment!

Barry, you are a class act.

While it is good advice for life in general, I hope you and your wife can pack in as many smiles as you can in the coming time you have - and don't forget all the ones you have already had.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks everyone for your thoughts

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts, I am going to give it my best shot. I feel like I have an extended family via Spyderlovers.com and it feels great. Good words, 'Spyder Theraphy' and 'Ryde-Theraphy' it's true to be sure as every time I get on I instantly feel better, even if its only in the garage.

I will stay in touch and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and upcoming Holidays..

(Its really cold today temps in the low 20's, not used to this in CA at all, and I cannot remember it ever being this cold in the past 30 years that I have been in this part of CA, but I am sure its better than some of you have, as the roads are clear, snow free and well maintained so year round riding is still available).

Ride safe and enjoy. Thanks again everyone,Barry.B

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default My prayers are with thee...

You are indeed a "Class Act". I will pray for you each day. Barry riding your spyder will help you cope with the battle you are facing. The battle is never lost until we stop fighting or lose faith in God! /Ken
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I hope you truly enjoy whatever time you have left, and hope that it is a lot longer than anyone expects.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRider2492 View Post
    Its been a week know since I took a test ride on the new RT, I still have a smile on my face about that 20 minutes of fun.

I orderd my RS September 2007 after a great test ride arranged my my Local Dealer, who unfortuatly due to our current economic situation did not survive the down turn. I picked it up on my way home from a hospital stay (still with about a hundred stapes in my body holding me together) that was April 04 2008, I just couln't wait any longer. Since that date even with my restaints I ride the at every opportunity possible. It took a while to get used to coming of my Harley Ultra but even though the HD was great machine and I put on multiple thousand of miles, the extra safty of that third wheel was premium and although I took a Leman conversion out for a test it did not feel comfortable to me , too much push for my taste.

So a very happy 18 months have past and I became 'one ' with my RS. The only extras I purchased was a rear back rest and rack plus the obviouse must 'Ride On' and thanks to Lamonts promotion with the company its a great value for the money.

Now my criticism of the RS remains the same as it has always been, Minimal Passenger comfort and rear peg placement, having ridden on the back to see what if felt like I agree with my spouse the Ultra wins, no contest in this department. I soon got used to the quite exhaust and have grown to like it, my Sampsons are great for the HD but a loud was not for me.

Full foward 18 months and along comes the RT, looks kinda nice in the adds, can't wait to see it for real. I checked with the BRP website and find that a reasonably local dealship, in fact the one I get my maintainence stuff from were going to be offering test rides in the middle of November, I loged on and booked a ride right away, Midweek and lucky for me the availablity was right near the end of my two weeks of Medial testings as things were not going well for me at that time . My test ride at Elk Grove Powersports CA was booked at 10 am and the temps that day were looking good, no rain and about 45-50 degrees, my PE 2492 really likes this temp range and goes so well as I usually fight high temps here in the valley of many days over the 100 mark and thats not too comfortable.

I got to Elk Grove Powersports after a spirited 100 mile ride looking for my first peak at the RT, and they had five on display 4 manual, one Auto, I selected the manual as thats what I have now and I wanted a true comparison.

My overall impression was beyond my expectations as I entered this on the score sheet for BRP. The rear seat unit was so much better designed for my spouse the pegs now in the correct place and there was a little side support but still no armrest which I found out on a long tour are essential, a small items that would make all the difference, why this was missed beats me as everthing else was great to be sure.

The one I selcted to ride had just about every extra known to man, fully loaded to the max and even before riding it felt so comfortable It was an instant hit for me. The extra Width was not even noticeable but the comfort of the stearing and position was excellent. The usual complaints about the windhield and mirros have been fixed , and it was intereing that I could now hear the engine as my short windsheild on my RS allows the windnoise to drown out the engine purr, and it purred fine. I could have ridden it for the rest of the day and then some, Its a WINNER for sure, a really great machine and I sure hope it is a success.

Out of the 5 people that were in my batch of ridders I was the only one with experience of a so I felt a little cramped, I wanted to always go faster especial around the turns like the lead rider but the other 4 ridders just wanted to crawl around the course. I mentined this to Subrina Spanner of Elk Groves sales unit and they said that they would be receiving there own test unit the following week and I could return for a 'reall ride' now thats what I was taking about. She also stated that if I stayed around till the eveing I would be about to go out with a BRP rep by ourselves, Alas I had my last medical appointment that late afternoon and I had to decline that very generouse offer.

The store/Shop put on a well 'put together event' along with BRP and I cannot thank them enough for their help that day, my only complaint was the dougnuts, I prefer a hot dog any days, but what am I saying, my only complaint was free dougnuts......

I made arrangement to follow up in a few days for the 'one on one' test ride and headed north for my last Hospital visit of the last 14 days (riding the back and forth made most of the services at leat passible.

After an exilirating day My pulse rate was way high, I met with the team of Doctors re the results of the last 14 days and everyone had the same news for me, and that was to enjoy the next few months as much as I can as I have at last lost the battle despite all of their care and attention, OK so I asked them to give it too me straight, however its not easy being told, no matter how hard you are, even if you almost expect it, its still a big shock, My spouse met me at the hospital and could not attend the initial ride due to her work shedule by this meeting was very important for us both, as we have been together for the past 49 years. I still owe just under $28,000 on our house so it would be iresonsible for me to order the RT as the money we have saved for the new purchase must obvoiusly go here now and I need to take care of things while I can.

For all of you that ordered the RT without even riding it, you have done well, its a true wonderfull machine and also if you have dealership support like I have for my entire time with The thats just icing on the cake. Enjoy your new machine and I will continue to ride my as long as I can, I am sure this has been great theraphy to me for the past 18 months and will continue for a while yet.

Take care Spyderriders, Ride Safe and enjoy life. Barry.B
    prayers sent ur way

Spyder Garage

Barry, your attitude is great. It can take you further than you realize.

So many people on this board have given such good support in much better words than I.

Just want to say,

Never give in, never give up.

Love, strength and prayers going to you and your loved ones.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

God Bless you Barry.. You are a pillar of strength to all of us...
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wish you the absolute best considering the circumstances. Applaud your attitude and strength. Our best wishes and prayers to you and yours.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Red face

ryde that spyder as long as you can I to helth problems mine is with my hart I ryde my spyder as long as i can it keeps me young and i'm 55 .
    a doctor told me to slow down and ever sence I got the spyder it has helped me live and I hope you have a long time here with us keep rydeing tell your wife if you all nead anything let us all know we are here we are family and I hope someone would come to help me if I kneaded it I'm in the patriotguard and we well come to anyone's ade . If you knead a friend to come to help you call me I'll fly out or drive to your SOS your friend DON VT228 cell 508 367 4621