Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Disc'd by your riding buddies

Has anyone else expienced this phenomina?

I've recently put a deposit on a new RT and with tons of excitement started telling all of my riding buddies about it (to they're surprise..because they all thought I was going to a GW or Ultra).
    The majority seem to have turned on me, Proclaiming that the Spyder is NOT A MOTORCYCLE. Now I know I've read many saying that it is not a motorcycle but I ask you.... What exactly is a motorcycle?

Accourding to Websters: "Motorcycle - a 2-wheeled vehical having one or two saddles and sometimes a sidecar or a third supporting wheel."

...and even w/o a textbook definition isn't it more about the expierence?

Spyder Garage

In Alabama you have to wear a helmet, have a motorcycle endorsement on your license and have motorcycle insurance. I'd say it's a motorcycle.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Forget what other people think. Who cares? What do YOU think?

Quote Originally Posted by John G View Post
    Has anyone else expienced this phenomina?

I've recently put a deposit on a new RT and with tons of excitement started telling all of my riding buddies about it (to they're surprise..because they all thought I was going to a GW or Ultra).
    The majority seem to have turned on me, Proclaiming that the Spyder is NOT A MOTORCYCLE. Now I know I've read many saying that it is not a motorcycle but I ask you.... What exactly is a motorcycle?

Accourding to Websters: "Motorcycle - a 2-wheeled vehical having one or two saddles and sometimes a sidecar or a third supporting wheel."

...and even w/o a textbook definition isn't it more about the expierence?
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Their attitudes will change once they see what you can do on the . I ride a lot with a friend who has a CBR900RR. Even my GW trike drew more attention than his bike and it's a beauty. I'd ride that myself if my old legs could do it. A wise person once said to me that what others think about me is none of my business. Think about it! Now go buy it and have a ball!!

Spyder Garage

The law says it is a motorcycle (in most states). Who cares what the bike snobs say? I've been riding for over 50 years. I've fallen off motorcycles at faster speeds than most folks have ever ridden them. Nancy's Spyder joined 22 motorcycles in the garage, and my RT-S will make 24. The two Spyders are every bit as much motorcycles as the rest of the collection, or anything I have ever ridden. I'll argue my point with anyone!

The same folks don't badmouth Harley Servi-cars, Tri-Rods, other trike conversions, or sidecars, do they? You didn't buy to make an impression, but to enjoy the ride. Forget those Bozos!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

just laugh at them they need to balance there bikes at every light. but dont forget you'll be laughed at when your bike is in the shop for 2 months waiting for parts.

Spyder Garage

same laws here in NC.... To me it is a motorcycle but it dosn't really matter anyways.

It's about being out there...
    (only a biker understands why a dog hangs his head out the window)

Just wondering if others had expierenced this same interaction

Quote Originally Posted by GI Jane View Post
    In Alabama you have to wear a helmet, have a motorcycle endorsement on your license and have motorcycle insurance. I'd say it's a motorcycle.

Spyder Garage

Third wheel envy???
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Third wheel envy???
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue

Spyder Garage

Third Wheel Envy....I'm going to have too use this one

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Third wheel envy???

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Response from 98% of two wheel riders has been positive mixed in with a little good natured silliness about it not being a motorcycle. . Mostly they are afraid you'll get all the girls...

Spyder Garage

Got a lot of grief when I rode a Boss Hoss and I got a lot of grief when I rode a Honda. It really don't matter to me and most of the grief is just in fun. As soon as my buddies pay for my rides they can decided what's good for me or not, until then I ride what makes me happy, not them.

I guess the reason I love the Spyder so much is that it's not a motorcycle, it's more like a real fast 4 wheeler. I haven't given up two wheelers and I'm sure some day I'll get bored with with the Spyder but so far it's just a lot of fun.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

ya they always seem interested on whos on the back..

Quote Originally Posted by jgwoods View Post
    Response from 98% of two wheel riders has been positive mixed in with a little good natured silliness about it not being a motorcycle. . Mostly they are afraid you'll get all the girls...

Spyder Garage

I call it a motorcycle - I too had to have a motorcyle endorsement to ryde. Helmets are optional in FL (but not for me). It has a motorcycle tag. Let see ... is there anything else - Yeah I don't care what other say I still feel like a rock star when I ryde my spyder.

(Goldwing club invited me to join ans ryde) Guess they think it is a motorcycle too.

GOT TO LOVE THAT SPYDER
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Two Harley riders pulled up to me the other week, one say's to me "real cute"...I laughed and then smoked them.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Awww they are just JEALOUS! That's what it is...
    Wow what a ride!! Love my spyder!!

Spyder Garage

Well lets see! The is an open air vehicle, has a handle bar for direction control, throttle control with the right hand, a windscreen, a foot shifter, a saddle and you sit on top of the motor. Hmmmm. You may want to ask your friends how that is different from their rides? Hmmmmm! Oh yeah, the has two wheels in front.

Spyder Garage

RYDING is RIDING!!!
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Well if they pull that load of cr@p on ya then they aren't your friends to begin with and I'd tell them to go stick up.... woops, forgot, family forum here.

Plus you'll meet some cool people you can ryde w/ on Spyders then! We've met a real good group here in the Northeast! And then met a whole bunch of cool folks at the BBQ.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    Two Harley riders pulled up to me the other week, one say's to me "real cute"...I laughed and then smoked them.
    I get the thats cute a lot but i think they really mean cool
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by truck 85 View Post
    I get the thats cute a lot but i think they really mean cool
    I get that all the time. I just correct them and say that it's not cute, it's a bad @$$ machine!

I agree with what others have said. It's just third wheel envy.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ... You didn't buy to make an impression, but to enjoy the ride. Forget those Bozos!

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

Many of the Harley people I ride with poked fun at the spyder. I keep an eye on them in my REAR view mirror.

I would ask why are you guy's holding back at every light?

When you hear:
    You should've got a Harley---Once ok-- twice ok-- three times that's enough.

I started answering with:
    I am getting a Harley --you see the spyder has a trunk. It's full of Harley parts I've picked up along the road.

The spyder has earned respect -- and more than its share of envy.

Just ride and smile

smilingene

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Who cares what other people say/think, Ride your ride, And don't let them rain on your parade.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I mostly get good vibes from folks on two wheels. If I can see them through the crowd around my bike.
    Mike