Spyder Garage

Default Does my Spyder need a belt tensioner? Should a 2020 RTL have one?

Wife has a 2020 Spyder RTL and wanted to know if she needed a belt tensioner. I have looked around online and do not see a definite answer to whether her bike was equipped with one from the factory. I read where the 2019 and 2021 have them and 2020 is hit or miss, plus I am 70, and getting up off the ground from a look is no longer fun.
    Is there anyone with a 2020 that knows if it has one?

Thanks -- Bobby
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2024 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
    Wife has a 2020 Spyder RTL and wanted to know if she needed a belt tensioner. I have looked around online and do not see a definite answer to whether her bike was equipped with one from the factory. I read where the 2019 and 2021 have them and 2020 is hit or miss, plus I am 70, and getting up off the ground from a look is no longer fun.
    Is there anyone with a 2020 that knows if it has one?

Thanks -- Bobby
    My 2020 RTL did NOT come with one, and with over 34K miles I have not felt the need for one.
    I do not believe any of the 2020 RTs came out stock with the tensioner.

Your call, Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Mr Bill I thankyou and so does this old man body. I do not know why she had that question but at least I have an answer so she should be happy.

Thanks -- Bobby

Spyder Garage

If your wife's Spyder doesn't have the 'vibration issues' that could be felt at speeds from about 40mph on up that resulted in the development & installing of the 'belt vibration dampeners' (No, they ARE NOT actually 'Belt Tensioners'!! ) then NO, her Spyder doesn't need one and in the interests of belt longevity and reliability, arguably should NOT have one!!

These vibration dampers are small, spring-loaded rollers that (usually) run on the top of the belt, gently adding pressure to the belt in order to stop the harmonic vibrations in that section of belt that on some Spyders, can be transmitted into the rest of the bike and felt as annoying vibrations, sometimes even being heard as odd vibration type noises. That's all fine & dandy, IF you need it, but if it's NOT needed, you save your belt from having the extra wear of a roller spinning away on top of it, pressuring it more than is ideal, and basically, adding to the belt wear. And then there's the issue of that tiny little roller spinning away madly ALL THE TIME!! Plus, there's not much of an opportunity for a serviceable bearing in that tiny roller; nor is there scope for much in-built/inherent lubrication in the bearing, so the life of those rollers IS NOT NECESSARILY ALL THAT GREAT!! And guess what often gets taken out pretty much immediately that roller fails?! That's not even considering the extensive/expensive panel &/or other damage that can (& does) occur when the belt disintegrates down the middle at speed, keeping some parts entire while the others thrash around like carbon-fibre whips, flailing away at and beating everything within reach, damaging everything they touch.

So if her bike doesn't already have one, and it also doesn't have the exceedingly annoying belt harmonic vibrations at speeds above about 40 mph, then I'd suggest you don't really need one and could easily have yourself the bother of getting & installing one, save the $$, & save her the potential trauma if/when it fails & takes the belt out!

If you do find out that her Spyder has one, then make sure it's one of the better-quality a/mkt units, like that from Lamonster (ie. Not the OEM POS! ) and then make sure you check the spring, the roller, & the roller bearings regularly, replacing as often as necessary or every time you replace the rear tire, whichever comes first!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2024 at 07:49 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bobby, I believe the late model 2021 RT's came out with the belt tensioner.(vibration Damper)
    So if you do decide to purchase one, definitely go with the best and get the one from Lamonster Garage.

Back at ya, Bill
    Last edited by Knizar; 04-30-2024 at 07:45 PM.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with Peter and Knizar above .... I have 2014 RT which never had a belt TENSIONER (& never will ) for many good reasons ..... I did have a slight vibe from the belt .... but lowering the Belt TENSION cured it..... bought a KritKit belt checking device (BajaRon sells them) .... I check the tension with all wheels on the ground (it's way easier) .... I use 160lbs +/- and don't have vibes ..... plus, the belt should last longer ..... good luck ...Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2024 at 10:25 PM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Bobby, I believe the late model 2021 RT's came out with the belt tensioner.(vibration Damper)
    So if you do decide to purchase one, definitely go with the best and get the one from Lamonster Garage.

Back at ya, Bill
    I have also heard that the 2021 had one. I looked under mine last fall, and there is not one there. I bought it used, so it could have been an early 2021 model.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
    Does my Spyder need a belt tensioner?
    I 2nd Peter's statements.

Every Spyder ever made come from the factory with a belt tensioning system. Otherwise, you would not be able to properly tension the belt drive. However, very few come with a vibration dampener. A vibration dampener does not affect belt tension. It can't and it isn't designed to do so. It would be redundant if it did.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-01-2024 at 08:46 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I installed a vibration dampener on my 2019 F3L. At hwy speeds, 70 mph, the vibration was terrible, not an exaggeration. The dealer confirmed the vibration and said a dampener would help. I did install the dampener and vibration is gone. I’m not sure why some spiders have the vibration, and some don’t, but I’m guessing there is an adjustment involved. The easiest solution for me was the vib. dampener.

Poasttown, 2019 F3L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2024 at 10:22 PM.
    2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    I installed a vibration dampener on my 2019 F3L. At hwy speeds, 70 mph, the vibration was terrible, not an exaggeration. The dealer confirmed the vibration and said a dampener would help. I did install the dampener and vibration is gone. I’m not sure why some spiders have the vibration, and some don’t, but I’m guessing there is an adjustment involved. The easiest solution for me was the vib. dampener.

Poasttown, 2019 F3L
    But do not forget to put the dampener on your things to check like your oil level, tire pressure, ect!! Because the bearings in that little wheel are spinning very fast, and when it goes, it will eat your belt. Most of us nonbelievers adjust our belts to a lower pressure and most if not all of the vibration is gone! Or you just drive faster or slower so it don't.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2024 at 10:23 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    But do not forget to put the dampener on your things to check like your oil level, tire pressure, ect!! Because the bearings in that little wheel are spinning very fast, and when it goes, it will eat your belt. Most of us nonbelievers adjust our belts to a lower pressure and most if not all of the vibration is gone! Or you just drive faster or slower so it don't.
    Thanks for mentioning "it will eat your belt" .... because if/when it does it will cost $500.00+ to fix ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2024 at 10:21 PM.