Spyder Garage

Default Anyone tried Kumho Solus TA51a Tires on the front of their Spyder?

Has anyone tried this Kumho Solus TA51a Tire for the front of their Spyder? Size 165/65R14.9
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-22-2024 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SamHuskyguy View Post
    Has anyone tried this Kumho Solus TA51a Tire for the front of their Spyder? Size 165/65R14.9
    " 165/65 R14.9 "... I've never heard of that size tire ..... what year Spyder is it .... the more info we have the better to help you ....Mike

Tire rack does have a size 165/65-R14 ..... However, it's so NEW it hasn't been tested yet ..... So you will be the TEST monkey ..... Get some Vredestein "Quatrac- 5" tires in the same size, @ $103.00; but hurry, they have limited stock! If you go to Tire Rack - decline to tell them what you are putting them on .... they don't sell auto tires to use on Mtc's .... good luck ... Mike size
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-22-2024 at 08:05 PM. Reason: many can't readily see fine fonts &/or odd colours, especially blues, reds, & yellows...

Spyder Garage

According to the About Me information in his profile, SamHuskyguy rides a 2008 Spyder GS.

Not sure about the ".9" at the end of the tire spec, but Google thinks the correct Kumho Solus front tires for his Spyder should be KR21 165/65 R14.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-22-2024 at 08:07 PM.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 Can-Am Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

Sorry guys! Not sure where the 14.9 came from. My bike has R14 tires, not 14.9. Raccoon is right, I have a 2008 GS SM5.

Spyder Garage

Sorry guys! Not sure where the 14.9 came from. My bike has R14 tires, not 14.9. Raccoon is right, I have a 2008 GS SM5.
    OK, problem solved ..... you can get the Quatrac -5 tire .... or any other auto tire in that size (there's not many to choose from) or you can be the tester and get that Kumho ..... My tire recommendations are based on proven products .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-22-2024 at 08:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    OK, problem solved ..... you can get the Quatrac -5 tire .... or any other auto tire in that size (there's not many to choose from) or you can be the tester and get that Kumho ..... My tire recommendations are based on proven products .... Mike
    Thanks Mike.... I'll stick with tried and true. I did notice there is a different tread pattern between what most are using and the Quatrac-5 I'm seeing at Tire Rack. Both tread designs work good on Spyders?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-22-2024 at 08:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike.... I'll stick with tried and true. I did notice there is a different tread pattern between what most are using and the Quatrac-5 I'm seeing at Tire Rack. Both tread designs work good on Spyders?
    Prior to the NEW "Quatrac" model (which Tire rack doesn't have in that 14 inch size) the highest rated Spyder tire was the "Quatrac 5" model ..... they have been replaced by the Quatrac (no 5 on the end) For the past 10+ years my track record for recommending Spyder tires has been spot-on .....

Ps: don't talk to any salesperson - it won't turn out well for you ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-22-2024 at 08:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

……and just something to keep in the back of your mind, Sam; Kuhmo tyres are a bit hit and miss in the US. Many riders have reported that they don’t grip well. However, out here in Oz, they work very well. Whether it is the road composition or something else, we have never been able to determine.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-22-2024 at 08:10 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red