Spyder Garage

Default Ryker has a Vibration at 60mph - is this common? Any upgrades or fixes?

Hello new family, I recently bought a 2020 Ryker 900 Rally. So far it is great. My question is at about 60mph or so it kind of shakes. It doesn't seem like a wheel out of balance but maybe. It seems like the from left wheel (while on bike side). But I also see steering stabilizers and stuff available. My question is: this is common, and is a stabilizer is a good upgrade for these; or should I have the wheels checked? It's not horrible, but just enough. It has about 1400 miles on it, just for reference. Other than this, at the moment I can't think of anything else I need help with. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-22-2024 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I would start with the simple things.

I'm not sure how hard it is to remove a wheel on a Ryker, but maybe swap the two front wheels and see if the problem moves to the other side?
    Of course you can't do that if the tires are directional, also something I don't know about.

Good luck!
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 Can-Am Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

Could be an out of round tire. Quite common with the OEM Kenda's. You cannot balance an out of round tire. Easy to check. Simply lift the wheel off the ground and spin it to see. You can also look for cupping on the tire. Do both fronts for comparison.

If both tires are round, it may be nothing more than a bad balance job. This can be corrected by applying balance beads or Ride-On without having to remove the wheel. Of course you can take them off (with a huge cheater bar) to get the 220+ lb. ft needed. And have them balanced. Or take it to a dealer and have them do it (gets expensive). But you're going to need a torque wrench that will get you back to the 200 ft. lb. to remount.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-22-2024 at 09:01 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Could be an out of round tire. Quite common with the OEM Kenda's. You cannot balance an out of round tire. Easy to check. Simply lift the wheel off the ground and spin it to see. You can also look for cupping on the tire. Do both fronts for comparison.

If both tires are round, it may be nothing more than a bad balance job. This can be corrected by applying balance beads or Ride-On without having to remove the wheel. Of course you can take them off (with a huge cheater bar) to get the 220+ lb. ft needed. And have them balanced. Or take it to a dealer and have them do it (gets expensive). But you're going to need a torque wrench that will get you back to the 200 ft. lb. to remount.

Hope this helps.
    .... However I have little faith in what most dealers do maintenance -wise .... If you can get the wheels/tires off .... almost every Auto shop can spin balance the wheels/tires .... however the tires may not be able to be balanced due to the issues Ron listed ....good luck ...Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-22-2024 at 12:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... However I have little faith in what most dealers do maintenance -wise .... If you can get the wheels/tires off .... almost every Auto shop can spin balance the wheels/tires .... however the tires may not be able to be balanced due to the issues Ron listed ....good luck ...Mike
    Agreed... Hate bashing dealerships. Unfortunately, many have earned it, and the good ones suffer for it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Tires might be a little flat spotted from sitting too long. A good warm afternoon lengthy ride might even help.
    2012 Viper Red RT-S (Sold)
    2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited