Spyder Garage

Default What do you think about long term use of Throttle enhancement products? Feedback?

I've seen a bunch of threads on this already but wanted to know what people think about long term use of Pedal Commander or Pedal Box?

I'm considering getting one for my 2019 RTL, with roughly 12k on it. Most of the feedback I've seen on both is positive, but I've also seen comments about error codes. I'm not a total speed demon but quicker throttle response and a smoother feel with shifting would probably make riding more enjoyable. I mostly ride solo. I read one comment about putting more strain on the drive sprocket, which does make sense. I'd love to avoid any issues there; any issues with anything for that matter.

Anyway... any feedback from owners of these who have had them for a while would be great. Thanks!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-21-2024 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Have had a pedal commander on my F3-T for 30+K and love it.makes the throttle response much better and kicks the dog to the curb!!!!

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donnieshacks View Post
    I've seen a bunch of threads on this already but wanted to know what people think about long term use of Pedal Commander or Pedal Box?

I'm considering getting one for my 2019 RTL, with roughly 12k on it. Most of the feedback I've seen on both is positive, but I've also seen comments about error codes. I'm not a total speed demon but quicker throttle response and a smoother feel with shifting would probably make riding more enjoyable. I mostly ride solo. I read one comment about putting more strain on the drive sprocket, which does make sense. I'd love to avoid any issues there; any issues with anything for that matter.

Anyway... any feedback from owners of these who have had them for a while would be great. Thanks!
    You are not going to have any issues unless there is an inherent problem (weakness) in the sprocket to begin with. Having more power will always bring out a weak link in the drive system. But the Spyder is engineered to handle it. Think of someone riding 2-up with a lot of storage and pulling a trailer in mountainous terrain. Now that's a strain!

If you have a sprocket issue, it's going to show up anyway. Maybe a little sooner with a throttle enhancement. But the drive train was designed to take more than the stock engine can deliver. The throttle mod does not give more power. It just gives it to you when you want it rather than having the computer dole it out to you on a delayed (or never) basis.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-21-2024 at 07:54 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

As I understand it, all the device does is to tell the Spyder that the throttle is turned further than it really is - in theory, you can do the same thing if you have faster and more nimble wrists, so I can't see any potential damage from it. (That said, others may know differently.)

Now, despite the fact that it only does that little thing, the effect is a FEELING of more power and responsiveness, and to me one of its best attributes is that it doesn't really mess with the electronics or mechanicals in any meaningful way, and yet still gives you the experience of an upgraded ride. And, after all, it's the feeling that creates the enjoyment.

I've seen plenty of people say it isn't worth it, but while I'm sure I missed a post or two, everyone I've seen who has actually purchased one has found it worthwhile.

I can't imagine not having one.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-22-2024 at 01:23 AM.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

So far so good with my Pedal Commander.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    As I understand it, all the device does is to tell the Spyder that the throttle is turned further than it really is - in theory, you can do the same thing if you have faster and more nimble wrists, so I can't see any potential damage from it. (That said, others may know differently.)

Now, despite the fact that it only does that little thing, the effect is a FEELING of more power and responsiveness, and to me one of its best attributes is that it doesn't really mess with the electronics or mechanicals in any meaningful way, and yet still gives you the experience of an upgraded ride. And, after all, it's the feeling that creates the enjoyment.

I've seen plenty of people say it isn't worth it, but while I'm sure I missed a post or two, everyone I've seen who has actually purchased one has found it worthwhile.

I can't imagine not having one.
    Not exactly. This mod actually gives you what you're asking for. Not more. You get all you are asking for as soon as you ask for it.

A cable throttle (like the 998 had) is a 1 to 1 ratio. You give it 50% and you get 50% right away. You give it 100% and you get 100% right away and it stays that way until you back off.

Think of it as a 'Throttle Nanny'. With the stock setup on BRP's Fly-By-Wire system. You give it 50% throttle and you don't get 50% until the computer decides to give it to you. Same with 100% throttle. With 100% throttle, the computer will eventually give you 100% throttle opening. But at a point it begins to back that off to (I believe) 85% maximum throttle, though you are still applying 100% at the handlebars. This is not meant to protect the engine or drivetrain. It's all designed to slow you down.

I test ride a lot of Spyders at the shop. Going from a 998 to a 1330, they always seemed like they just didn't want to go. The 1330 is lethargic. An engine 1/3 larger should not act this way. A throttle mod clears all of that up. They make a big difference.

We have customers that say they don't ride that hard and just don't see any need to install a throttle mod. At the shop we will install one and if you don't like it, we'll take it off, no charge. We've had zero customers take us up on it. They come back from a test ride with a HUGE smile on their face.

The only people I've talked to that said it isn't worth it were those who had not tried one. Your experience may be different though.

I was very sceptical about these units when they first came out. But one test ride sold me. It's a lot like the sway bar upgrade. You just don't know what you're missing until you've tried it.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-22-2024 at 02:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not exactly. This mod actually gives you what you're asking for. Not more. You get all you are asking for as soon as you ask for it.

A cable throttle (like the 998 had) is a 1 to 1 ratio. You give it 50% and you get 50% right away. You give it 100% and you get 100% right away and it stays that way until you back off.

Think of it as a 'Throttle Nanny'. With the stock setup on BRP's Fly-By-Wire system. You give it 50% throttle and you don't get 50% until the computer decides to give it to you. Same with 100% throttle. With 100% throttle, the computer will eventually give you 100% throttle opening. But at a point it begins to back that off to (I believer) 85% maximum throttle, though you are still applying 100% at the handlebars. This is not meant to protect the engine or drivetrain. It's all designed to slow you down.

I test ride a lot of Spyders at the shop. Going from a 998 to a 1330, they always seemed like they just didn't want to go. The 1330 is lethargic. An engine 1/3 larger should not act this way. A throttle mod clears all of that up. They make a big difference.

We have customers that say they don't ride that hard and just don't see any need to install a throttle mod. At the shop we will install one and if you don't like it, we'll take it off, no charge. We've had zero customers take us up on it. They come back from a test ride with a HUGE smile on their face.

The only people I've talked to that said it isn't worth it were those who had not tried one. Your experience may be different though.

I was very sceptical about these units when they first came out. But one test ride sold me. It's a lot like the sway bar upgrade. You just don't know what you're missing until you've tried it.
    BajaRon, which kit do you prefer? I don't see one on your site. (2019 RTL)
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Spyder Garage

Well, with all due respect your understanding is not correct.

No matter how FAST you crank the throttle, there will always be that inherent DELAY which is substantial over the travel of the throttle.
    That DELAY is what the Pedal Commander deals with.
    It does it ELECTRONICALLY via the ECM and according to the options you select via the device can make the response "almost" instantaneous.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    BajaRon, which kit do you prefer? I don't see one on your site. (2019 RTL)
    We carry the PedalBox brand. We don't yet have a number of items we carry listed on the website. We decided to populate it ourselves and it's taking longer than we'd hoped. Everything does these days!

Spyder Garage

Lamonster Garage bought (and supported) Pedal Box (non BT) on my 2018 RTL over 8,000 miles no problems, except my face hurts smiling so much. Have helped a couple others put them in and they feel the same. Mine's hidden under the seat and I don't think my wife even knows I added it as I gradually upped the settings until I felt it was snappy enough. Maxed out it was WAAAYYY to snappy for daily riding.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I ordered the pedal box without Bluetooth. Didn't feel like coughing up the extra 50 bucks. My guess is that it will stay put once I find where I like it, except for loading on a trailer. Can't wait to get it and try it out! I'll have to decide where to keep it. I'm thinking the frunk, just because it's close and easy to snake into.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-23-2024 at 12:13 AM.