Spyder Garage

Default What is everybody using for outdoor or trailering Covers?

What is everyone using for outdoor covers or trailering their Spyder RT Ltd?
    Anyone have one from carcoverscanada.ca? I have read mixed reviews about people buying from there and covers not fitting the vehicle. So I wondered if anyone has a Spyder RT Ltd cover from them, if it is good quality, and actually fits?
    Has anyone got the Can Am OEM cover? Either the trailering or the outdoor cover? Are they good quality and fit well, so worth it?
    What other sites has anyone got covers from that are good quality and fit?

Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2024 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question; Caps; & ' 's... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hancop View Post
    What is everyone using for outdoor covers or trailering their Spyder RT Ltd?
    Anyone have one from carcoverscanada.ca? I have read mixed reviews about people buying from there and covers not fitting the vehicle. So I wondered if anyone has a Spyder RT Ltd cover from them, if it is good quality, and actually fits?
    Has anyone got the Can Am OEM cover? Either the trailering or the outdoor cover? Are they good quality and fit well, so worth it?
    What other sites has anyone got covers from that are good quality and fit?

Thanks
    No one with trailering knowledge is using a cover on their Spyders while trailering .... We have already figured out that no matter how tight you can get a cover .....IT WILL SCRATCH THE PAINT ... I know you will see auto trailers with covered cars ..... However, they are not covers that you can put on a Spyder .... those cars are basically SHRINK WRAPPED ... if you do that to your Spyder, it should work, but otherwise ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2024 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I have used the Can-Am half cover on mine. Still in good shape and its spent many nights in parking lots and campsites.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OEM 1/2 cover also.

Spyder Garage

I strongly agree with Mike. If you really need to cover your Spyder while in transit, buy an enclosed trailer. That way, you have no worries!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-19-2024 at 05:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have a half cover that I can stuff in my bags for tripping, and a full aftermarket cover for storage, but I would NEVER cover for trailering in an open trailer! I have not had a good experience with my sleds years ago doing it, I would never use one with my bike.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I do agree that utilizing a cover, while trailering a Spyder, can be concerning in regards to paint or windscreen damage.

From experience, we bought several BRP brand covers. One is the RT622 trailer cover, the others are the full and 1/2 covers.

For reasons unknown, and these covers were used infrequently, and not exposed to harsh elements, the BRP covers inner liner deteriorated. The liners became somewhat sticky, and leaves a gummy residue, that does scrub off with wax after washing.

Other than the liner, the remainder of the BRP covers is actually pretty nice with no issues.

That said, a couple years ago, I bought a second 1/2 cover from a different manufacturer. Do not recall the manufacturer but can check as time permits. Seems to be a well fitting cover for less cost than a BRP brand cover.

Simply sharing experiences, not endorsing one brand over another.

Spyder Garage

While I don't trailer my Spyder, I bought a Geza Gear cover for my F3 Limited. I've bought their covers for all of my bikes over the past 20 years or so and I've been happy with them. They are pricey but they store in relatively little space and they do a great job of protecting my rides when I have to leave them parked outside all day in the hot summer sun.

Spyder Garage

On my 2012 and 2014 RTL's I used a BRP half cover when traveling and a BRP full cover when parked in the driveway for extended periods. On my 2022 RTL I use an Ultraguard half cover and an Ultraguard full cover in the same way. Why an Ultraguard you may ask. When I purchased the BRP half cover it did not fit over the rear top case although the description on the BRP website stated it does. I don't know if BRP fixed that but I needed a cover quickly and couldn't wait for BRP. Anyway, both Ultraguard covers work as well as the BRP brand and cost much less.

As others have stated I do not cover my RTL when trailering.
    Last edited by LongIsland; 04-19-2024 at 02:00 PM.
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

Both of my Spyders wear Ultraguard full covers when stored for the winter in my home’s garage. These covers are fantastic. Look for a sale price and buy with confidence. Never leave a covered vehicle out in the wind. Your life will have a lot of regret.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

I shopped for a cover to use while my Spyder S2S was stored for the winter, and eventually found one that looked and sounded good, and their website said they made a version specific to my Spyder.

What they sent me not only didn't fit, it was barely big enough to fit over the upper case and also fit over the windshield of my Spyder S2S, and there was no way it was going to fit down over the frunk or front wheels, or over the rear saddle bags. And the order process on their website had me select the year and model of motorcycle that I was buying a cover for, which was included in the order confirmation email, so I ordered what should have fitted my Spyder.

So I did what I could to make it fit, and then sent them a picture. I got a quick response email with an attached shipping label to return the wrong cover to them, and they said they'd expedite shipment of the correct cover to me.

And the new cover arrived, and it fit nicely, but in expediting the return they apparently also expedited the production, as there was something missing. One of the things I liked about the cover was a strap attached to each side that had clip ends on it, so you connected the strap ends together under the Spyder to hold the cover in place. And one side had the long strap with a clip end on it, and the other side had...nothing. No where to clip into.

So I contacted them again, and their response was no apology, no offer to have me return it and ship me a correctly manufactured cover. Instead they offered to send me several elastic strips with hooks that they said I could attach to "some points on your Spyder" to hold the cover in place. I declined their offer.

So I went online, found some 1" black web strapping material like the piece that had been installed on the cover, and a plastic "buckle" made for 1" strapping. Total cost including expedited shipping: US $8.95.
    Time to install: about 1 hour, which included the time to pull out my sewing machine and installing black thread in it, and then sewing a short piece of strap to one end of the buckle, and sewing the short piece of strap to the side of the cover where the strap was missing.

I have intentionally not mentioned the name of the cover company, as I obviously do not trust that they have fixed their manufacturing problem, nor will I recommend them to anyone.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 Can-Am Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

I do not cover mine when hauling. I have a stone shield "v" front to help protect. I did use a half cover on the RT when parked over night. If bad weather was forecast I would full cover if I had it. The F3 I am just carrying the lighter weight standard full cover. Less to haul. I saw a post from a guy who bought small fitted mattress cover than had a water barrier for a half cover in heat and maybe over night.
    2021 F3 Limited. 2013 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

When I had my 2012 RTS-SE5, which I traded up/sold for the 2014 RTS-SE6 (since Sold too) I had/used the BRP full cover. I also had the BRP 1/2 cover (which I used o/night when I was traveling). Both of them held up well.

They were both rugged/heavy duty and both had straps to keep the covers secure. Both of the bikes were kept outside. I did not trailer the 2014 RTS-SE 6.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-19-2024 at 07:24 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue