Spyder Garage

Default Not shifting into reverse - any ideas?

2015 RT Ltd, battery wasn't holding a charge, and it was not shifting into Reverse. I put new battery in and checked the oil level and fuses. Now when I try to shift into Reverse, she revs up 300 rpm for 2-3 secs and nothing happens. Even rode around for an hour for the fun of it. Any ideas? Thank you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2024 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Service manual says to first test the Reverse button but you need B.U.D.S. Testing and resetting the Gearbox Position Sensor also requires B.U.D.S.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SAMBILLIE View Post
    2015 RT Ltd, battery wasn't holding a charge, and it was not shifting into Reverse. I put new battery in and checked the oil level and fuses. Now when I try to shift into Reverse, she revs up 300 rpm for 2-3 secs and nothing happens. Even rode around for an hour for the fun of it. Any ideas? Thank you.
    Does it only rev up one time? Mine revs up three times when there's a shifting issue. There might be tests you can do that might pinpoint the problem. Do you have a service manual? You can use this link for an operators' guide:

https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2024 at 10:58 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just because a battery is NEW .... doesn't mean it was properly charged before you used it! ..... Mike.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2024 at 10:58 PM.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget, folks. The SE6 transmission has a Reverse Actuator. See video. (Skip the ad). The battery issue appears to be a separate thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxrGGLJ7vjM
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 04-19-2024 at 09:49 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Here is my fix for my 2018 Spyder SE's failure to go into reverse.
    The reverse failure was intermittent, but it was getting worse.
    I was able to install a shim between the switch and the pin.
    Here is the fix.

Just a note, the shim I used was only .021" thick, and .130" in diameter.
    It may not be the best option, since the metal push pin has a domed surface.
    The other option I was thinking about was to make a new metal push pin that was a little longer.

The paddle shifter mount is held to the main body with 3 socket head screws.
    When you remove the screws, you can remove the paddle shifter rocker assembly.
    Under that you will see the two sealed bubble switches, one for reverse, and one for forward.
    The bubble switches will have a rubber shaft sticking up.
    That rubber shaft will touch the metal pin that is pushed by the paddle shifter rocker body.
    I put the shim between the metal push pin and the rubber pin on the switch.
    The shim is caged in the body, so it should not move out of the switch contact area.
    When you take it apart, you will notice that there is no adjustment for this switch.
    I can't believe that there are any serviceable parts here.
    As I said in my post, there was no wear or broken parts.
    When the parts were designed and made, I think they did not put enough push distance for the pin to push the switch.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-24-2024 at 08:10 AM.

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to Cadaverdog. I have been wanting an owners manual to my (purchased used) '16 since I bought it. I now have it. Thanks. All knowledge is on this forum.