Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RTL Left Cooling Fan... Gone! Any ideas why? Anyone else?

Looked at a used '16 RTL today intending to purchase it, and during my due diligence crawling around on the floor with a flashlight, observed a bunch of melted black plastic in the area around where the left side cooling fan motor would go...but the motor itself was gone. The fan disk was still in there, but just kind of rattling about.

Told the dealer about it, and they are replacing the damaged/missing parts with OEM, at which point I will resume my purchase process. I have also asked for a BUDS printout upon completion due to this very strange situation, for my piece of mind.

Unit has 8,800 miles on it, a few scratches, needs tires due to age, but no other major issues noted during my inspection.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing happening?

I can't think of a situation other than a shorted fan motor that would cause such a heat buildup.

With that said, I have zero experience with these machines.

It just struck me as very strange.

Spyder Garage

I think I would look around some more.

Melted plastic don't sound good, the engine could have over heated. I bought a '16 last year with 2400 miles on it, looked like new, ran bad; and I bought it anyway. A set of plugs, fuel filter, & new tires, and it seems to be ok now, but wish I had looked around before I bought!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2024 at 08:51 PM.
    2016 RT Limited Orbital Blue. Ultimate seat
    Bajaron swaybar,PV3 with BLR custom Tune
    Farrod front car tires p165/65/15
    Led headlights and fog lights
    Showchrome windshield.
    Two Brothers Muffler and cat delete pipe.

Spyder Garage

If the one you bought is the one in your profile pic, I say well done! I love the blue ones.

We'll see what happens after they replace the fan in it.

Spyder Garage

There is a good chance the bearings went out in the motor. Much heat would be created as they were going out. Usually they make a pretty mean noise as this is happening but maybe not or it was ignored.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    There is a good chance the bearings went out in the motor. Much heat would be created as they were going out. Usually they make a pretty mean noise as this is happening but maybe not or it was ignored.
    Heat from the radiator ??? ... the water wouldn't be much more than 212 F .... and I would think the bearings they chose could handle that .... But I agree motor failure because of bearing failure is likely ....Mike