Spyder Garage

Default Any suggestions on waterproof + airflow seat covers??

I took a ride with some HD riders that both had Micro-Air seat covers like the one pictured below.

I ready to order one, but I'm concerned these are basically "stretch-over" types of covers and won't conform to the deep bucket style of the RTL seat.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something both waterproof and help with airflow such as these, made specifically for the (2019) RTL, and can be punctured for the driver's backrest?

TIA!

For those interested, here's a link to the one I'm considering: https://www.skootdog.com/products/micro-air-seat-covers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen42; 04-15-2024 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Removed duplicate post after move & merge - Please don't duplicate, just ask a Mod to move!!
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm surprised that a cover that is Waterproof is also Breathable ...... AND it stretches ...... To me IF it stretches, it doesn't matter what it looks like on the seat once you sit on it - it will conform to the shape of the seat AND your Butt ..... hope it works out for you ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 02:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm surprised that a cover that is Water-proof is also Breathable ...... AND it stretches ...... To me IF it stretches, it doesn't matter what it looks like on the seat once you sit on it - it will conform to the shape of the seat AND your Butt ..... hope it works out for you ....Mike
    These are basically a plastic honeycomb-like structure. Both of the Harley buddies swore by them. I do agree, I think they would stretch as I sat on them and be fine, but they may also pinch or something. Also concern that the aesthetics of something like this might not look that great if's normally just stretched over the seat.. I've written the mfg to get their input.

Spyder Garage

You will be amazed at how cool and dry when it’s warm and it will keep warm when it is cooler.
    Very comfortable! No more sweaty bottoms!

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/mist...-rt-lamonster/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 02:45 PM.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    You will be amazed at how cool and dry when it’s warm and it will keep warm when it is cooler.

Thanks, but I don't care for the look of sheepskin at all. Reminds me of shag carpet, lol.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 02:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have had two Sit-N-Fly covers on my bikes and I was very pleased with them. Not so much as a cushion, but really allows air flow which increases comfort. They don't come in specific bike sizes, but they make ones for large seats. You may have to contact them for a Spyder reference. As far as aesthetics are concerned I couldn't care less what it looks if I am comfortable, but these don't look bad at all.
    https://www.sitandfly.com/
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I have had two Sit-N-Fly covers on my bikes and I was very pleased with them. Not so much as a cushion, but really allows air flow which increases comfort. They don't come in specific bike sizes, but they make ones for large seats. You may have to contact them for a Spyder reference. As far as aesthetics are concerned I couldn't care less what it looks if I am comfortable, but these don't look bad at all.
    https://www.sitandfly.com/
    Thanks! These look to be strikingly similar to the MicroAir covers. I'll contact them as well.

Spyder Garage

I use a beaded seat cover
    www.beadrider.com

(easy on/off, don’t have to remove seat)
    2023 RT limited

Spyder Garage

If you're looking for a waterproof cover, for a Benjamin and two cups of coffee you can have this, made specifically for your Spyder.

http://https://can-am-shop.brp.com/o...ain-cover.html

I have a similar one made for my Comfort Seat and, as BLUEKNIGHT said, once I get my butt on it, I don't care a rat's rump about whether it's breathable as long as it keeps my seat dry, which it does in real frog strangling storms. If you're going to ride in the rain, you're probably going to wear a rain suit and, even if it's Gore-Tex, it isn't going to breathe like it's a spring day. And you sure can't beat the price, especially coming from BRP.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 08:03 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If you're looking for a waterproof cover, for a Benjamin and two cups of coffee you can have this, made specifically for your Spyder.

http://https://can-am-shop.brp.com/o...ain-cover.html

I have a similar one made for my Comfort Seat and, as BLUEKNIGHT said, once I get my butt on it, I don't care a rat's rump about whether it's breathable as long as it keeps my seat dry, which it does in real frog strangling storms. If you're going to ride in the rain, you're probably going to wear a rain suit and, even if it's Gore-Tex, it isn't going to breathe like it's a spring day. And you sure can't beat the price, especially coming from BRP.
    The "waterproof" part of the question is meant to deter covers made of sheepskin, cloth, etc. that will soak up and retain water. I'm not too concerned about protecting the OEM seat itself, it's supposedly "waterproof" as well. I'm not certain why this cover is actually sold. I wash my seat when washing the bike, and never have noticed it soaking up water. But to be fair, I haven't ridden it immediately after a wash. If it's actually raining, yeah, I expect it to get wet, and yeah, I'll (sometimes) put on my rain gear.

I just want something that:

1) won't be 1000 degrees when basking in the Texas sun;
    2) won't get all wet and sweaty on my ride and make my derrière look like I have bladder problems; and
    3) doesn't look like sheepskin.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 08:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Here's a Universal ATV/UTV seat cover found at Bass Pro, not sure if they carry them any more. It helps, but it's still a good idea keeping a spare towel handy for the occasional wet seat if scattered showers pass by while you're inside somewhere.

C88880B0-D1AC-41BB-AF93-8CDCE1D97DAE.jpeg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 11:26 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    The "waterproof" part of the question is meant to deter covers made of sheepskin, cloth, etc. that will soak up and retain water. I'm not too concerned about protecting the OEM seat itself, it's supposedly "waterproof" as well. I'm not certain why this cover is actually sold. I wash my seat when washing the bike, and never have noticed it soaking up water. But to be fair, I haven't ridden it immediately after a wash. If it's actually raining, yeah, I expect it to get wet, and yeah, I'll (sometimes) put on my rain gear.

I just want something that:

1) won't be 1000 degrees when basking in the Texas sun;
    2) won't get all wet and sweaty on my ride and make my derrière look like I have bladder problems; and
    3) doesn't look like sheepskin.
    I have a '14 RT and the seat itself is waterproof .... However, the seams aren't, so the water gets down into the seat FOAM and absorbs water, when you sit on it, it Squishes out .... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 11:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post

I bought an Ikea sheepskin, Cut it in two and sewed straps with plastic buckles on. Cool in warm weather and warm in cool weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 04-15-2024 at 11:29 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

The guys already said twice, he doesn't like the looks of sheep skin!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The guys already said twice, he doesn't like the looks of sheep skin!!

To bad! So Sad! They are one of the best seat thingies! Sit on it and no one else can see it!
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 04-16-2024 at 07:58 AM.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I have used bead seats for years and love them! When I first saw the cover I thought it would be uncomfortable - but just the opposite! Extremely comfortable! Allows for airflow when it's hot.
    For you sheepskin lovers, I've always wondered what you do when it's raining?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GORP View Post
    I have used bead seats for years and love them! When I first saw the cover I thought it would be uncomfortable - but just the opposite! Extremely comfortable! Allows for airflow when it's hot.
    Mine come off in a few seconds.

Spyder Garage

Yup, Yup I've been a bead user for many years. I used to get them for cars and cut them down to fit my bike... Then I found Bead Rider was soooo much easier.. lol
    I have a sheep's skin in the garage. I tried it for about 10K miles and just didn't like it... c'est la vie
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    I use a beaded seat cover
    www.beadrider.com

(easy on/off, don’t have to remove seat)

This looks like a decent solution, but I'm worried about the black beads (especially the ceramic "ultimate" version) getting crazy hot in the Texas sun when parked. Do you know which you have? Also, the quick disconnect straps are extra, otherwise it looks like you have to remove the seat to install/remove them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    This looks like a decent solution, but I'm worried about the black beads (especially the ceramic "ultimate" version) getting crazy hot in the Texas sun when parked. Do you know which you have? Also, the quick disconnect straps are extra, otherwise it looks like you have to remove the seat to install/remove them.
    I use the wooden beads... They don't get hot in the sun...(not sure about ceramic) I also use the quick disconnects.. easy on and easy off... Honestly I only take it off to clean the seat or if the temp is below 50 degrees.. One time, I left my house when the temp was 45 degrees made it about a mile down the road.. I had to stop and take the beads off the seat because it was way too cold on my bottom.. That was enough proof to me that they allowed airflow...LOL
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T