Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Trying to Remove the Front Turn Signal Light/Position Light - any hints? Ideas?

I did a search but couldn't find any info. I also searched the manuals available on powersports-diag.com but couldn't find details on this light.

I'm trying to strip down the front fender to have it painted. It's a 2023 F3-L SS with the one-piece fender and an LED "position" light, per the parts catalog. Anyone know if it pushes out the top or drops down toward the inside? It's #1700j/1800j in the attached image.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2024 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    I did a search but couldn't find any info. I also searched the manuals available on powersports-diag.com but couldn't find details on this light.

I'm trying to strip down the front fender to have it painted. It's a 2023 F3-L SS with the one-piece fender and an LED "position" light, per the parts catalog. Anyone know if it pushes out the top or drops down toward the inside? It's #1700j/1800j in the attached image.
    Although mine is a 14 RT Basic style fender ...from your pic it attaches to the fender brackets in a similar fashion .... If you remove your tire you can get to the bolts that hold it to the brackets .... it's easier IMHO to remove the entire assembly to give you better access .... Good luck >>>> Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2024 at 12:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

Service manuals are acessible at powersports-diag.com if you have a login.

Service manuals are also pretty reasonably priced here:
    https://brpmanuals.com/product-category/rykers-spyders/
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Spyder RSS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Service manuals are acessible at powersports-diag.com if you have a login.

Service manuals are also pretty reasonably priced here:
    https://brpmanuals.com/product-category/rykers-spyders/
    Yes, I have BUDS and access to the powersports-diag.com and had downloaded that manual. But I must admit, I feel pretty small right now: I entirely missed that page. Thank you!!!

Wayne
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

I expected to find it under "Body" but did not. I did a search on "position light" to find it.
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Spyder RSS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I got them out. But beware of the instructions; refer to Image 1. The subject states "Replacing a Front Turn Signal Light/Position Light (All Countries except Australia)". The first step is to remove the fender. Check. Step 2 is "Remove the reflector." Beware. That's not the reflector (as in lens or light guide) on the Position Light; that can't happen due to the design. It must be the reflector on the rear of the fender. Why the heck would you need to remove that reflector to change the Position Light? Step 1 & 2 should be removed and replaced with "Remove front wheel". The light is a lot easier to remove with the fender attached to the Spyder, and the wheel is easier to remove than the fender. But I suppose like many things BRP, they outsourced the writing of the manual and failed to quality check the results (think BRP Connect).

My process:
    1. Remove front wheel
    2. Remove Position Light retaining screw, Image 2
    3. Disconnect Position Light electrical plug, not shown
    4. Make sure the Position Light is moveable in its opening (it may move 1/2 mm or so), pushing the light toward the rear and outward in its opening
    5. Insert plastic Trim Tool under lead edge of Position Light lens, catching the edge of the hole in the fender, Image 3
    6. Lift the trim tool while applying lift from below, to pop the light up as the front catch is released by the trim tool, Image 4

Problem solved.

Wayne
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 11:24 PM.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

Hi.
    The side lights and indicators are different on my 2021 model. I can’t see how to remove the assembly to replace the indicator bulb. Any tips on removal and bulb number would be fantastic.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2024 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Removed Post title after merge - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Is this thread what you are looking for Tel999?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-23-2024 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Threads merged... ;-)
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Hi.
    Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for.
    It looks like if the indicator or position light stop working, you have to buy the complete unit.
    Cheers.
    Terry
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2024 at 11:10 PM. Reason: ot

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is this a SEALED unit???? .. is it an LED type light ..... If so it was never meant to be dis-assembled and the lamp re-placed .... not un-common on the newer Spyders ....glad you got it done .....Mike

Spyder Garage

2020 F3T. My front left blinker stopped working. I’m trying to trace the wires, but I can’t seem to remove the blinker from the fender. Is there a trick? I’ve removed the plastic blocking piece and screw. I think it should pop out, but I don’t want to break anything. Any other suggestions on fixing this would be appreciated. Would like to see if there’s current, but without removing the blinker assembly I can’t test the wires.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-23-2024 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Moved Post title after merge - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

I’ll try your procedure next time. Didn’t bother taking the light out because I tested the plug and blinker side had no current. Will have to trace it back and see why. Searched for the next connection but lost it when it merged with harness.