Spyder Garage

Default Need Help identifying a particular road or route in Arizona?

Need help locating a particular road in eastern Arizona or possibly in New Mexico. Several years ago, I flew into Phoenix and drove to Show Low, AZ for a couple days work. When it was time to return to the airport, I had some extra time to kill so I picked a route that I believe went east out of Show Low then turned south. The route was stunning, and I vowed to return someday on a bike. Someday is now and doing my trip research I was sure the road I was seeking was Hwy 191 (the Devil’s Highway)...

Today I rode Hwy 191 from Eadgar to Three Way and although it was a great route it isn’t the route I remembered. The route I’m seeking, you followed along a canyon for miles and the canyon had lots of hoodoos in it. Anyone have an idea what road it might be, could it be Hwy 180 just over the AZ line in NM?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2024 at 07:49 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

I think you're looking for Hwy 60 goes thru Salt River Canyon to Globe. The canyon is awesome. I actually went to visit my Grandparents from Ohio to Mesa, AZ in 1978, went thru Petrified Forest, then into Mesa via the route I'm telling you. Look on a map and let me know if this seems like the one you're looking for!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2024 at 07:49 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick response, but highway 60 isn’t it as I took it yesterday and took it from Phoenix to Show Low… there is an awesome section of canyon but I don’t think that’s the road/canyon I’m looking for. I pretty sure it’s further east, but then again it was several years ago and I’m older now
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Probably Highway 191

This is a very scenic twisty road. Alpine to Three Way!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2024 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

If you took a route from Eagar to Three way it had to be US 191. That is one of the most amazing routes I've ever taken. The part from Alpine to Three Way is 90 miles and ~534 curves though the mountains and a copper mine pit that covers 19,000 acres in three pits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

You only have 3 choices that it could be. 191, 60, or 87 out of Payson
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Peter, I think the route might have been 60 east out of Show Low, then south on 191 to Alpine and there picking up US 180 east into NM then south towards Silver City. Have ridden that many times and it is an excellent motorcycle tour.
    2015 RT-S SE6
    Bajaron sway and billets, Bumpskid, Lamonster belt tensioner. Rear General Altimax 215/60R15, Front 175/55R-15 QUATRAC,
    Centramatic wheel balancers, FOBO2 TPMS, Comfort Seat w/backrest, Belt Guard, Brake light modulator
    Side mirror signal lights, Lamonster Magnetic mirror mounts, 7 Jurock w/flip, Floating foot rests, Voltage meter, LED fog and headlights, KOTT grills, side wind deflectors, Air Hawk x2, mud flap, Sena BT x2, Pedal Box, Laser alignment.

Spyder Garage

I took the Mogollon Rim road into Show Low 30yrs ago. It was gravel and I was in a car.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    I think you're looking for Hwy 60 goes thru Salt River Canyon to Globe. The canyon is awesome. I actually went to visit my Grandparents from Ohio to Mesa, AZ in 1978, went thru Petrified Forest, then into Mesa via the route I'm telling you. Look on a map and let me know if this seems like the one you're looking for!!
    That’s a possibility. I took Hwy 60 two days ago from Phoenix to Show Low and although it is a terrific route and it does have a canyon running next to it, it didn’t seem familiar. However, this time I took 60 going south to north and the “mystery route” I drove from north to south and with many years in between traveling different directions could be why it did look familiar this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Probably Highway 191

This is a very scenic twisty road. Alpine to Three Way!
    No doubt that is a great route, I enjoyed the heck out of it. I might even be tempted to put it in my top 10 all-time best route’s I’ve ever ridden. But it is not the route I’m trying to re-find.

* There’s an idea for a new thread - Top Ten Routes in the US!

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    If you took a route from Eagar to Three way it had to be US 191. That is one of the most amazing routes I've ever taken. The part from Alpine to Three Way is 90 miles and ~534 curves though the mountains and a copper mine pit that covers 19,000 acres in three pits.
    Absolutely agree with you and it is quite an upper body workout too; but it isn’t my mystery route, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    You only have 3 choices that it could be. 191, 60, or 87 out of Payson
    I’ve ridden all three of those routes this trip and it’s possible Hwy 60 is it, but I’m not completely convinced yet.

Quote Originally Posted by svspyder View Post
    Peter, I think the route might have been 60 east out of Show Low, then south on 191 to Alpine and there picking up US 180 east into NM then south towards Silver City. Have ridden that many times and it is an excellent motorcycle tour.
    I looked on the map and this route has potential mystery route and Hwy 78 coming off of 180 just north of Buckhorn, NM needs to be investigated too. I’m going to try to get to them before I leave the area, I’ll report my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I took the Mogollon Rim road into Show Low 30yrs ago. It was gravel and I was in a car.
    Unfortunately, my mapping app shows large sections of this route is still unpaved and the route I’m thinking of was all paved. I would like to ride that route sometime, but that's not going to happen on the Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2024 at 12:59 AM.
    2022 Ryker Rally