Spyder Garage

Default Possible BATTERY issue and/or unexplained electrical, electronic Gremlin

2024 Spyder RTL S2S, two-weeks old, 435 miles.

Twice now, when away from home, after a short stop (less than 2 hours) the Spyder wouldn't start.

Ignition key "on". Spyder performed diagnostics check. Received Safety Notice that was acknowledged by rolling off Throttle. Gauge screen active. 3-way Rocker Switch (kill/run/start) pushed down to "Start" position and then silence. Screen remains active but repeated starting procedures including turning off then on of Ignition Switch produces same results. No audible "click" of solenoid and no cranking.

Luckily each time after multiple attempts the systems function perfectly w/o throwing any Codes. Based on numerous Threads on the inferior Batteries being installed at factory I checked my Battery and no surprise, mine is the dreaded Haijiu 300 CCA Battery.

I suspect the Battery is supplying enough juice for electronics but then failing to engage engine starting sequence. I also wonder if the "System" is being overwhelmed with Actions and "freezing" similar to a computer. Along with Diagnostics the Spyder is connecting to cell phone and Helmet Comms via Bluetooth before I can initiate accepting Safety Message then Starter. I mention this as I have had my screen "freeze" before Safety Message appears.

I plan on trying to get dealer to check the Spyder out but also to replace the battery with a Yuasa 350 CCA BS Version. As has been discussed elsewhere the Haijiu Battery needs to be replaced regardless of surfaced Issues.

Comments / Suggestions ?
    2024 Can Am Spyder RT Limited S2S

Spyder Embossed Gremlin Bell
    FOBO Bike 2 TPMS

Misc Items (Carried or Worn on Spyder):
    - Shoei Neotec 2 Helmets, Rider & Passenger w/ Cardo Packtalk Edge Comms
    - Foldable Cane
    - Accutire MS-4021B Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
    - Frarome Portable Air Compressor/Tire Inflator - USB Rechargeable
    - Hoxida Tactical Flashlight, USB rechargeable, 20000 Lumens
    - Two Black Flag Poles. Show Chrome / Lamonster Garage

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie51 View Post
    2024 Spyder RTL S2S, two-weeks old, 435 miles.

Twice now, when away from home, after a short stop (less than 2 hours) the Spyder wouldn't start.

Ignition key "on". Spyder performed diagnostics check. Received Safety Notice that was acknowledged by rolling off Throttle. Gauge screen active. 3-way Rocker Switch (kill/run/start) pushed down to "Start" position and then silence. Screen remains active but repeated starting procedures including turning off then on of Ignition Switch produces same results. No audible "click" of solenoid and no cranking.

Luckily each time after multiple attempts the systems function perfectly w/o throwing any Codes. Based on numerous Threads on the inferior Batteries being installed at factory I checked my Battery and no surprise, mine is the dreaded Haijiu 300 CCA Battery.

I suspect the Battery is supplying enough juice for electronics but then failing to engage engine starting sequence. I also wonder if the "System" is being overwhelmed with Actions and "freezing" similar to a computer. Along with Diagnostics the Spyder is connecting to cell phone and Helmet Comms via Bluetooth before I can initiate accepting Safety Message then Starter. I mention this as I have had my screen "freeze" before Safety Message appears.

I plan on trying to get dealer to check the Spyder out but also to replace the battery with a Yuasa 350 CCA BS Version. As has been discussed elsewhere the Haijiu Battery needs to be replaced regardless of surfaced Issues.

Comments / Suggestions ?
    I'd let the dealer know ASAP - you have a warranty on the Battery, but it isn't very long .....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2024 at 03:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

What does the battery charge on the display say prior to attempting to start?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2024 at 11:02 PM.
    2024 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Your battery is probably covered under warranty but get get it load checked asap. Mine was made in China and would flash a VSS code at every start even after putting a charger on it. It was replaced by another made in China. After charging it before starting this spring it appears to be fine with no more codes.

If the battery requires replacement under warranty see if your dealer will replace it with the Yuasa even if you need to pay the difference. Once you get the new battery home its a good idea to charge it until full to start your riding season especially if you have additional battery load when riding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AndysF3S View Post
    Your battery is probably covered under warranty but get get it load checked asap. Mine was made in China and would flash a VSS code at every start even after putting a charger on it. It was replaced by another made in China. After charging it before starting this spring it appears to be fine with no more codes.

If the battery requires replacement under warranty see if your dealer will replace it with the Yuasa even if you need to pay the difference. Once you get the new battery home its a good idea to charge it until full to start your riding season especially if you have additional battery load when riding.
    x 2 Very good advice indeed. It is worth it to upgrade to Yuasa even if you have to pay the difference in price. A really good dealer will do that for free though. It is called customer service or customer appreciation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Did you have your foot on the brake pedal?
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

BlueKnight911,

Yes, spoke to Service Manager earlier today. Monday the luggage set that I ordered is being delivered. I will leave Spyder with Service Dept. who will go through bike, connected to their diagnostic computers and discover causes. Told them I want to upgrade battery and if required will pay difference.

LALoner,

I believe it's 13+ but not positive. Will check next incident.

AndysF3S,

I agree.

ARtraveler,

I concur 100%.

K80Shooter,

I had Parking Brake set but also added manual foot brake action when experiencing Failure to Start sequencing. No change, regardless of applying foot brake.

All,

Thanks for replies and comments, will advise after Dealer Shop folks have a look, see.

Safe Travels,
    C
    Last edited by Charlie51; 04-12-2024 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo

FOBO Bike 2 TPMS

- Foldable Cane

Spyder Garage

There have been a lot of new battery's not working as they should!! Good luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    There have been a lot of new battery's not working as they should!! Good luck!!!
    IMHO BRP has done to Batteries ...what they did with tire choice .....not surprised .... ....Mike

Spyder Garage

My dealer did swap the Haijlui one for a Yuasa 350 CCA one while my 2024 S2S was in for the terrible blank screen issues... No, they did not charge me for it... They have sold several 2024 on-road Can Am's and were well aware those batteries are... well, let's just say less than stellar... Mine wasn't the first they swapped out...

That Haijlui battery when it last cranked before the dealer picked the bike up, showed as low as 10.3 volts when cranking (very slowly). I'm thinking the lead/agm plates are not well made. I also think the manufacturer added the acid quickly and charged the batteries too soon. Doubtful they followed acceptable procedure, just to get them out the door, AND then they shipped them to BRP which may have taken 2 months or more before being installed at the factories...

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2024 at 08:03 AM.
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back at dealer again due to blank screen issues , loss of BT and WIFI :-( :-( .. looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 just with 2023 S2S only)

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 9 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LALoner View Post
    What does the battery charge on the display say prior to attempting to start ?.
    12.9 just before pressing "Start"

11.7 as starter engages

14.3 as soon as it starts

FOBO Bike 2 TPMS

- Foldable Cane

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    My dealer did swap the Haijlui one for a Yuasa 350 CCA one while my 2024 S2S was in for the terrible blank screen issues... No, they did not charge me for it... They have sold several 2024 on-road Can Am's and were well aware those batteries are... well, let's just say less than stellar... Mine wasn't the first they swapped out...

That Haijlui battery when it last cranked before the dealer picked the bike up, showed as low as 10.3 volts when cranking (very slowly). I'm thinking the lead/agm plates are not well made. I also think the manufacturer added the acid quickly and charged the batteries too soon. Doubtful they followed acceptable procedure, just to get them out the door, AND then they shipped them to BRP which may have taken 2 months or more before being installed at the factories...

My 2 cents.
    When I spoke to the Service Dept Manager on Friday he basically agreed the Chinese batteries were not up to the task. I believe I will get the battery swap and not be charged but will know on Monday.

The scenario you describe at BRP sounds very plausible to me. I still find it odd that companies will use (known) inferior parts to increase profits by a relatively small amount when they must realize that follow-on "Issues" negatively affect their reputations.

FOBO Bike 2 TPMS

- Foldable Cane

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie51 View Post
    When I spoke to the Service Dept Manager on Friday he basically agreed the Chinese batteries were not up to the task. I believe I will get the battery swap and not be charged but will know on Monday.

The scenario you describe at BRP sounds very plausible to me. I still find it odd that companies will use (known) inferior parts to increase profits by a relatively small amount when they must realize that follow-on "Issues" negatively affect their reputations.
    Was it about the small profit or was it availability when the bike was manufactured? I worked in a vehicle manufacturing plant before retirement and there were parts availability issues more often than we like to think. Covid made it worse, but Covid can't be blamed for everything.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2024 at 08:36 PM.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Was it about the small profit or was it availability when the bike was manufactured? I worked in a vehicle manufacturing plant before retirement and there were parts availability issues more often than we like to think. Covid made it worse, but Covid can't be blamed for everything.
    You provide sound reasons for the lower grade components and ones I didn't give enough credence to. Thanks for broadening my perspective.

Thank Your Child for their Service, for me.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2024 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

FOBO Bike 2 TPMS

- Foldable Cane

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    These new 2024s were manufactured probably late 2023 or early 2024. This was most likely Can-Am being cheap and not a supply chain issue. Since they've been putting in these low-quality batteries for years now, they figure why spend more than we have to? Penny wise and pound foolish.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2024 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

My dealer apparently knew about the issue, as they offered me a US $200 battery replacement service as part of my purchase. I declined.

Now to hook up my new battery tender. It's already proven useful, as my ride-on law mower was getting a bit slow to start. I left the battery in the mower hooked up overnight, and it started up quickly in the morning.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 Can-Am Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

* UPDATE *

Sort of.

I dropped my Spyder off at Dealer's Monday morning, 15 April 2024 . Having not heard anything by yesterday afternoon, 17 April I stopped by and spoke with Shop Manager. Was told the tech was unable to replicate the issue and computer check showed no abnormalities.

Was then told that everyone was working overtime assembling units and gearing up for their Official Grand Opening which is tomorrow 19 April 2024. Due to major focus on opening not much time was spent on any repairs of any units, mine included. Odd that they asked me to bring Spyder in on Monday knowing that they wouldn't spend much time on it is a mystery. In any event, I told the Manager I would be taking the bike back this morning.

I picked the Spyder up this morning. I have an extended warranty and Roadside Assistance so will put some more miles on it and if or when the Starting Issues resurfaces I'll return it to Dealer.

FOBO Bike 2 TPMS

- Foldable Cane