Spyder Garage

Default Seat and Trunk struts don't work - what am I doing wrong?

Lifting the seat on my 2022 RT to fuel and it does not stay open. I must hold it open while fueling while holding the nozzle with the other hand. The same is true with the trunk. I need to hold it open while loading my gear.

This is my first Spyder, but I have a hard time believing that it was designed that way. What am I doing wrong.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not a product review... & expanded title to briefly state the reason for the thread! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Contact the dealership; may be replaceable struts under warranty.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twofingers View Post
    Lifting the seat on my 2022 RT to fuel and it does not stay open. I must hold it open while fueling while holding the nozzel with the other hand. The same it true with the trunk. I need to hold it open while loading my gear.

This is my first Spyder, but I have a hard time believing that it was designed that way. What am I doing wrong.
    I had same issue ..... I removed the gas strut and replaced it with a 3/8 metal rod which is shaped to fit alongside the frame rail ..... This also fixed seeing the brake fluid reservoir ..... now I can lift the seat almost vertical and this gives a great view of those reservoirs. It's also something that will NEVER break again .....Mike PS I have pics in my albums

Spyder Garage

You've done nothing wrong; BRP apparently elected to use weak lift struts perhaps as a money saving effort. Ours failed to hold open the part of the machine they were supposed to hold open, so I replaced the trunk lift struts of both our Spyders and the seat lift strut on my wife's 2021 Sea to Sky with Show Chrome struts and they're a tremendous improvement. Several of the forum sponsors sell them and they're worth every penny. I posted a short how-to explaining my experience with the 2020+ seat strut that might help if you choose to replace your struts.
    Last edited by Arion; 04-09-2024 at 08:44 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twofingers View Post
    Lifting the seat on my 2022 RT to fuel and it does not stay open. I must hold it open while fueling while holding the nozzle with the other hand. The same is true with the trunk. I need to hold it open while loading my gear.

As others have said, you're not doing anything wrong, but rather than adding/extending this/yet another thread discussing the same problem & all the solutions further, simply type the word 'Strut' into the Search field (up toward the top Right of the page); click on the 'Search Titles Only' box in the Drop Down list that'll appear; submit the search via the little magnifying glass; then pick & choose whichever of the already existing threads you'd like to read on the subject!

There's DIY solutions; alternative solutions; instructions on how to fit/remove/replace/measure; part numbers for a/mkt replacement struts identical to the OEM struts; and part numbers for a/mkt replacement struts that are better/longer/stronger than the OEM struts! I reckon you'll find all the info you might need &/or want, and then some!

Cheers
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!