Spyder Garage

Default Trying to figure out if Sea to Sky is better for me than RT Ltd?

Trying to figure out if S2S is a better purchase than the RT Limited.

It has a better seat apparently - is it that much better, can you notice it ? Do people with RT Limited seats get a sore butt? Do people with an S2S get a sore butt?
    Do those upper and lower wind deflectors do anything? Are they worth it?
    Other than the paint colour (white) and the nice-looking seat, if the seat is not really any more comfortable and the wind deflectors aren't worthwhile, I don't see any reason to get an S2S over an RT Limited. You could just buy the RT Limited and add the driver's back rest; matching rear cover plate; side deflectors if they work; and essentially have the same thing as an S2S for about 2K less in Canada!?

Thanks

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I have a 2024 Spyder RT Limited and the seat is very comfortable for me. Don't know how good the S2S seat is, but to me, I wouldn't need it. I also put the factory Driver's backrest on it and love it, it is easy to install, and it is adjustable.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 09:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

I rode a Ryker during the 3-wheel training class I took, and the Spyder seat is a significant upgrade in comfort.

I bought my S2S for the amount of storage it has, as my eventual plans are to take some extended trips on it. Looking at details online, I see that the RT Limited has the same amount of storage as the S2S, but the dealer I went too didn't have an RT Limited on display, just a couple of RTs. And they only had one S2S that had already been purchased by someone, but they allowed me to look at it.

My longest ride so far has only been about 20 miles, but I think the seat is very comfortable with the driver's backrest installed. I couldn't imagine riding any distance without the backrest.

As for the two little deflectors on each side, I have no idea how effective they are, and also could find nothing in the Operators Guide about them.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 Can-Am Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

Seats are so personal, IMO, it's somewhat a waste of time to solicit opinions. If a dealer won't let you test both models of Spyder so you can form a butt opinion you need to find another dealer. Again, IMO, if one is going to test ride seats one should establish at a minimum how long one is going to ride before a break. Personally, I lucked out when purchasing my Spyder almost 10 years ago. Because of my size I selected a BRP Comfort Seat because it was the least cost option at the time and it worked out perfectly. I am very comfortable on long distance tours traveling 400+ miles/day stopping only to refuel. I also have a BRP driver backrest my wife gave me two years after I bought the Spyder and it makes a world of difference; I'm fresher at the end of a long day's ride than I was without the backrest. Good luck.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I can tell you the wind deflector work! If the S2S has caught your eye then just get it! It's got all the bells and whistles you want, just do it! Aftermarket farkels are fun and cost you just about the same by the time you figure out the time it takes to put them on, but I will say you get to know your ride a lot better when you have it ripped from stem to stern like I have mine right now!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hancop View Post
    Trying to figure out if S2S is a better purchase than the RT Limited.

It has a better seat apparently - is it that much better, can you notice it ? Do people with RT Limited seats get a sore butt? Do people with an S2S get a sore butt?
    Do those upper and lower wind deflectors do anything? Are they worth it?
    Other than the paint colour (white) and the nice-looking seat, if the seat is not really any more comfortable and the wind deflectors aren't worthwhile, I don't see any reason to get an S2S over an RT Limited. You could just buy the RT Limited and add the driver's back rest; matching rear cover plate; side deflectors if they work; and essentially have the same thing as an S2S for about 2K less in Canada!?

Thanks

Peter
    It has a better seat apparently - is it that much better, can you notice it ? Do people with RT Limited seats get a sore butt? Do people with an S2S get a sore butt? - I have an RT but put a comfort seat on it. At first it was ok but I could only ride about an hour before my butt and hips started to ache. I ended up buying a Corbin 1 piece seat and love it. No more pain after an hour ride.

Do those upper and lower wind deflectors do anything? Are they worth it? I put the adjustable deflectors on. They definitely give you more air and deflect the air when it's cold. I'd say they're worth it.

Other than the paint colour (white) and the nice-looking seat, if the seat is not really any more comfortable and the wind deflectors aren't worthwhile, I don't see any reason to get an S2S over an RT Limited. You could just buy the RT Limited and add the driver's back rest; matching rear cover plate; side deflectors if they work; and essentially have the same thing as an S2S for about 2K less in Canada!? It's all in the eye (or wallet) of the beholder. I bought the '21 base RT because for what I've added, it has still not cost me the extra $4,000 I would have spent on the RTL. Plus, some of the things I've added don't come on the RTL either, or the S2S (which wasn't available in '21 anyhow).

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Comfort is going to be based on what you like.
    You definitely save $ by getting the RTL and adding things as you go, but additions can be costly over time. If there isn't a huge difference in price and you like it, get it.
    Spending $500+ on a new seat. $200 for a backrest(Can-Am), Price of wind deflectors, I think the back cover is $200, and you're pretty much in S2S territory. Might as well just get the S2S. Sell the luggage that comes with it if you don't want it. That's pretty much it(I think).
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Short answer: No.
    I think you'd be better off getting the RT Limited and then adding some farkles to customize your Spyder.
    The RT Limited comes with wind deflectors. The S2S has the ADJUSTABLE wind deflectors. You can buy adjustable wind deflectors on Amazon for less than $100. They seem to be OK.
    The adjustable handlebars on the S2S are, IMHO are not very good. Better to get HELI Bars. That would be an addition for either model.This was an OPTION in 2021. But the OEM adjustable bars are inferior to the HELI Bars
    You can get the OEM Backrest, or perhaps a Show Chrome backrest.
    The lights on the footboards don't add a lot of value. I'd recommend replacing the side markers with LED lights, something additional for either bike.
    I also added a luggage rack to the tail bag, and the passenger wind deflectors.
    As to the seat, I have a small gel pad I put on the seat and I find that very comfortable. My girlfriend uses a gel pad on her seat also. This is a very very very personal choice.
    Still, this is my opinion only. Take a look at Lamonster Garage and get a feel for the kinds of farkles you'd like to add and see for yourself what the difference is.
    Here is a list of my Farkles. I've marked in Bold, those things that are not included with the S2S model:

Sena 20s Headsets (2)
    Zumo XT on BRP Support
    OEM Backrest

OEM Chinlight
    OEM Trunk Rack
    HeliBars
    BajaRon swaybar and links
    SpyderPops Vision Kit (LEDs for fender and bag reflectors)

Lamonster Mirror Shake Mod (not needed after 2022)
    Amber LED Mirror Marker Lights RT 2020+ (I used the connections from the SpyderPops kit)
    2020-UP RT KOTT Grills painted black.
    Kumho Solus KH16 Front Tires 175/55/15
    Cooper Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring rear 215/60/15
    Helper Springs added to Rear Trunk Gas Shock
    (2) pigtails for Electric Jackets

Adjustable Wind Deflectors Upper and Lower
    Passenger Wind Deflectors
    LidLox helmet locks
    Show Chrome seat strut
    Lithium Battery
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 04-10-2024 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Corrected the S2S standard accessories. Clarified text. Thanks Fatboy and Lee
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the handle bars are not adjustable there are no floor board lights on the s2s

Spyder Garage

The S2S has a different seat. If it is better it is up to you. When I spec'd out my RTL, I added the comfort seat because I tried them both. (I wound up getting the S2S, but that is a long story)
    We have done 500+ mile days. At the end of the day, we are sore, but(t) more than any other bike we've had, we are ready to go the next day. So much so that we have done multiple 500+ days. Never did that before on other bikes.
    When I spec'd my RTL (that I didn't get) I also added the adjustable wind deflectors. Every bike I owned previously either had them or I added them. I think they are worth it, but are they worth it to pay for the whole package? That is up to you.

There are two schools of thought (more than that but go with it here), buy the best you can afford (get the S2S, the color and seat are really cool this year), or get the RTL and add just what you want. (Get the S2S and you will still add things, plus the color is cool and the seat is neat!)

Have fun with this. Let us know for sure what your decision is. And pictures. We like pictures.
    Last edited by Jesster72; 04-09-2024 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo or 2 (or 3)
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

and on that first post.

You have mostly answered your own question. The difference between RTL and S2S is trim level. You WILL pay for that S2S because it is the top of the line. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

As mentioned, seats are a very personal thing. I NEVER thought the OEM seats were worth anything. After 50 miles, my bottom also agreed. Over the years, I went through seven various Spyders. I replaced the seats on six of the seven. One a Corbin, and the rest all upline BRP seats. Linda said the seat on her last F3L was good. I said, thanks, you just saved me $500.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

$500 in savings
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm still waiting on delivery of my 2024 but went through the same decision process. Decided on the RTL. I rented a 2023 back in October and went for a 200+ mile ride. I had no problems with the stock seat on the RTL. That may change with longer days and back to back days in the future, but I decided to not spend any extra money on a seat until I had some significant seat time to figure it out. And even when I do spend extra money on a seat, it will likely be an aftermarket one rather than an upgraded OEM seat.

I found a number of reviews that indicate the adjustable winglets may be worth it so I ordered both sets and they are already in my garage waiting for a bike to put them on.

While I love the white color (helps make me visible), I'm not a fan of the matte finish. Had it been a gloss finish, I might have thought about a S2S a little more.

My top case will never be off the bike while I'm riding, so the extra back panel is useless for me.

The rest of the S2S differences made no real difference to me, certainly not enough to justify the extra cost.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 08:13 PM. Reason: STS's stopped production about 2016! ;-)

Spyder Garage

On my S2S the handlebars are not adjustable and it did not come standard with a drivers backrest.
    We bought the S2S because my wife liked the color and the rear seat comfort. My wife really likes the seat. I am tall and sit way back on the seat and find the seating neutral in comfort. I don’t get a sore butt, but I do get stiff knees and hips after a few hours.
    I can’t tell if the wind deflectors work or not.
    If you are tall or have large thighs you should factor in buying a handle bar riser kit. This is so the handlebar ends clear your thighs making tight turns in parking lots. We have LaMonster’s.

If it had been my sole decision I would have bought an RT Limited instead of the S2S.
    Last edited by Lee0123; 04-10-2024 at 06:22 AM.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT