Thread: Eclipse Reports

Spyder Garage

Default Eclipse Reports

We are just on the "edge" of the totality zone.

Our action started at about 12:30 PM when the moon started gobbling up the sun. We reached totality about 1:55 or so. For us, it did not get completely dark. We ended up with between dusk and total darkness. The glasses we were using went totally dark at that point. Without the glasses, during totality, the sun was covered by the moon and the corona of the sun showed round about the moon. The darkness lasted about 5 minutes. IMO: that was the most awesome part of the total eclipse.

Sorry, I don't have one of those cameras with special sun filters. So, you will have to take my word for it. I am counting on seeing some pictures in this thread though.

The upside, we did not have to pack our bags and go thousands of miles battling crowds to see the eclipse. We watched from our back patio. The sun was overhead. We were facing South. All the action took place directly above us in the two o'clock position of the sky.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-08-2024 at 03:54 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Cloudy here in Iowa, so could not see any of it.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

I was dead center in the path of totality, but Mother Nature gave us clouds today, so we weren’t able to capture any eclipse photos. It did get very dark though for about 3 1/2 minutes. Very cool to sit out in it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 10:00 PM.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

It just passed us up here in Maine. It was weird having all the street lights come on.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The weather here turned out to be better than expected .... 64 F, no wind and only a very slight haze .... It was spectacular. ..... Also, there was hardly any traffic, and I live on Rt.100 in Moretown Vt. .....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 10:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

I did a short report in the weather thread but will repeat it here. We are not in the path for total. We got about a 30% eclipse. The maximum was at 11:20AM. It seemed as if the sun was on a dimmer. We had sunlight but it was weirdly dimmed. By 12:30 we were back to normal intensity. I did a little golf cart ride to see if anything unusual was happening in the community. All seemed pretty normal. Kids playing in the swimming pool weren't paying any attention to the eclipse....... Just tossing a big beach ball around and doing what kids do..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Went to sister’s wedding in Indiana. The weather was great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - they just mess with Searching! ;-)
    2014 RT

Spyder Garage

I was in the path of the Solar Eclipse. Totality was at 100 % & the moon started to grab the sun (looked like PacMan) at 2:15 PM EST; that lasted until 3:26 PM EST.

From 2:15 PM EST until 3:26 PM EST the air was cold, and it got quiet.

At 3:26 PM EST. it was semi dark; that only lasted about 4 minutes. At 4:30 PM EST it started to go the other way (ending).

Then the sunshine was bright, and it was warm again. We had a sunny day, high clouds, the temps were in the 60's.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 10:04 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Dang, I missed it. When's the next one?
    I sort of remember the last one a few years ago, saw some guy on TV on a balcony looking directly at it, smirking and pointing which made me laugh. Story was/is you're not supposed to look at it or you'll go troppo or something.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 10:05 PM.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    I sort of remember the last one a few years ago, saw some guy on TV on a balcony looking directly at it, smirking and pointing which made me laugh. Story was/is you're not supposed to look at it or you'll go troppo or something.
    20 years!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 10:06 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

We were fortunate to be in the Totality Zone here. I elected to work from home today, and around 1:45 I set up some comfy chairs and a blue tooth speaker in the back yard, then we went out around 2:00 Eastern, tuned in a station on Pandora and enjoyed an absolutely beautiful afternoon as we watched the moon crawl between us and the sun. It was definitely a great experience to witness first hand.
    2023 S2S
    Shoei RF-1400 Helmets
    Cardo Freedom 4x comms

Both riders USMC vets
    2023 Sea to Sky , Green Shadow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    20 years!
    The eclipse everyone is talking about here on the Forum wasn't visible to those of us here who live Down Under, Cobwebs (so you won't be going blind from watching it! ); and IIRC, not all of the US got to see this last one either?!

But we've got a Partial coming up that'll be visible in some parts of Oz in a couple of years - 21 Sept 2025; then a Total on 22 Jul 2028; another in 2030.... there's more too, check 'em out here:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...gion=australia

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 10:57 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My kids made the 400 mile trek to Azure Mountain Fire Tower in upstate NY, and said it was fantastic. I look forward to seeing their pix when they return.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

Our neck of the woods saw something like 94% coverage. It seemed a little shadow-y, but I think the 2017 (?) one was better for us. The temp dropped a few degrees, and the view was like a fingernail of the sun still showing around the moon's shadow. I am still amazed when we are able to witness these types of things. Something(s) in the universe lines up and we get to witness it, whether it is a solar eclipse, or your garden growing in your back yard. It's fun reading everyones experiences.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Where I live the sun goes down every night and comes back up every morning. I am usually where I can watch it do that, with a cup of coffee, if I am not too busy with other stuff that interferes with my plans.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As most have already posted, it was a great experience to see. I have seen several Solar Eclipses, but this one was the best for me.
    The 'Totally View' was just amazing. I had watched the video on what to expect and that really helps you to understand what you might see.
    I hope you enjoyed your view. If not you can watch the video if you like.

Enjoy the Time. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue