Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2015 F3-S jerking while riding

2015 F3-S
    Starts right up, idle is good. I had Stabil in the gas tank with a quarter tank. Weather looks good this week so yesterday I took it off the blocks, battery off the tender, and fired right up. I ran it 5 minutes or so.
    This morning I rode about 10 miles, got to the gas station and filled with Premium (no ethanol) which is what I have always used. I got about 10 miles from the there and cruising at 60mph and all of a sudden there was a jerk and the RPM went higher, then it did it again a few more times. I was 10 miles from work at this point and finished the ride. It was jerking almost the whole time like the RPM didn't seem to go high, I was watching, but it sure felt like it.
    Stop signs the idle ran at 1rpm pretty solid. Would take off and it was jerking in all the gears.
    No check engine or anything.

Am I looking at a fuel issue? Air Issue? Could it be the throttle? Looking for some ideas anyone thinks I should try. Thanks!!!

Spyder Garage

My first guess would be fuel issue. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

At a guess, your front drive pulley is having issues with worn splines.
    Last edited by PMK; 04-10-2024 at 07:43 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

I'm with PMK. Your symptoms description make it seem the engine is running smoothly but something in the remainder of the drivetrain isn't functioning properly. If it isn't the pulley, change the oil as the HCM might not be providing the pressure needed to engage the clutch. And next time provide the mileage and how long your Spyder was stored in what conditions.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

About the fuel, it's not a good idea to store with less than a full tank of gas. Condensation builds up on the inside walls of the tank above the fuel level. The more tank surface area above the fuel level, the more condensation and the more water in your fuel. The inside of the tank above the fuel level can rust. When you fill the tank, the rust comes off and settles into the bottom of the tank and can clog the fuel filter. However, if this were your issue, you would be getting a drop in RPM when the bike jerked, not an increase.

Because you're getting an increase in RPM with the jerking action, that means the engine is encountering a reduction in resistance making it spin more freely. As has been suggested, that means there is a loss of connection between the engine and drive wheel. Most likely, because it has been the weakest link in the system, you're looking at a stripped drive pulley. Not an uncommon problem.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The easy one is GAS .... a product labeled "HEET" is great for removing "Water in the Gas" issues .... However, if you have NEVER checked that front pulley, I would do so immediately ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 01:21 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

change air filter lately?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 10:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Started acting up after you fueled up. There's a clue. Dodgy fuel maybe?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 09:59 PM.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

How's your belt look? Any chance some of the "Teeth" are coming off or torn away already?

(Had this happen a couple of years ago - make sure to roll the bike forward/backward to check all the teeth!)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 09:59 PM.

2017 F-3S Daytona 500 Series

Spyder Garage

I had this happen to me once, ended up running home, dropped a little HEET in the tank and put some Seafoam in there, was all cleared up in about 30 miles! Sounds to me you got some water bouncing around in your system. But it would not hurt to check your driveline like some have said also, just to make sure. Good luck! Even if you're using some sort of stabilizer in your tank for storage in the winter that old gas has lost it punch, so until you get that old stuff run threw it is not going to act quite like it should. I go threw it with my sleds first ride of the season.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone!
    It has only 8K miles on it. I just got it 2 years ago with 1500 miles on it.
    I checked the air filter (was new last year) and that's good.
    I checked the belt and that looks good.
    Checked oil and that looks good.
    I am going to drain the gas with a siphon and put in some different gas and some heet just to eliminate that.
    I do have an appointment next week for the recall, because if it's a pulley that's probably best left to the dealer to look at.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 08:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jpbohmann View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    I am going to drain the gas with a siphon and put in some different gas and some heet just to eliminate that.
    I do have an appointment next week for the recall, because if it's a pulley that's probably best left to the dealer to look at.
    If you're going to go to the trouble of draining the fuel, you should also put a new fuel filter on to eliminate the chance of a clogged filter. Cheap insurance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Is that a pretty straight forward thing to do? Is there a particular brand of filter I should use?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone!
    I do have an appointment next week for the recall because if it's a pully that's probably best left to the dealer to look at.
    The water eliminating product is labeled "HEET" .... if are draining the gas and replacing it with fresh you don't need it. .... Your Spyder only needs 87 octane gas ..... since most cars don't require or use 89 + oct. gas those pumps are more likely to have contaminates in them..... So for that reason (and others) I use only 87 with ethyl (non-ethyl reg. is not common in Vermont) .... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Is that a pretty straight forward thing to do? Is there a particular brand of filter I should use?
    The filter has Oetiker clamps but that is not really a problem. I recommend the OEM or good aftermarket like Wix, Napa, filter because the Spyder uses a higher pressure system. We've had customers come in with aftermarket filters that were about to explode.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Because you're getting an increase in RPM with the jerking action, that means the engine is encountering a reduction in resistance making it spin more freely. As has been suggested, that means there is a loss of connection between the engine and drive wheel. Most likely, because it has been the weakest link in the system, you're looking at a stripped drive pulley. Not an uncommon problem.

Was that related to the front sprocket recall?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 12:58 AM.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    Was that related to the front sprocket recall?
    That is the REASON for the front sprocket (or drive pulley ) recall!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Drained gas and replaced filter and it ran the same.
    I decided to drop it off at the dealer and when they get to it they get to it.
    He called me and already did the recall and all is well.
    He said it’s running on 2 cylinders and needs to start with replacing the plugs.
    I guess we’ll see what happens he is going to work on it more tomorrow.
    Just wanted to give an update.

Spyder Garage

Drained gas and replaced filter and it ran the same.
    I decided to drop it off at the dealer and when they get to it they get to it.
    He called me and already did the recall and all is well.
    He said it’s running on 2 cylinders and needs to start with replacing the plugs.
    I guess we’ll see what happens he is going to work on it more tomorrow.
    Just wanted to give an update.
    Most likely you'll need to have the injectors cleaned. You don't say how many miles are on the Spyder. But typically, it's not the spark plugs. Hopefully, they check it out fully before putting it back together and finding out that the spark plugs were not the problem.

It is strange that you say it is running fine and they say it's dropping a cylinder.

Spyder Garage

Most likely you'll need to have the injectors cleaned. You don't say how many miles are on the Spyder. But typically, it's not the spark plugs. Hopefully, they check it out fully before putting it back together and finding out that the spark plugs were not the problem.

It is strange that you say it is running fine and they say it's dropping a cylinder.
    Sorry, by running the same I meant it was jerking still after the new filter and new gas. It has only 8000 miles on it.
    They checked it out after replacing the plugs and everything is running great. I will pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

You are doing something wrong if the plugs had to be replaced at 8K miles. Ask your dealer what it is.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Hopefully the wires are in good shape.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Hopefully the wires are in good shape.
    Simply to clarify, OP says 2015 F3 with a 1330 powerplant, so no spark plug wires. COP style ignition.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    You are doing something wrong if the plugs had to be replaced at 8K miles. Ask your dealer what it is.
    My thoughts too. Possible but improbable. Fuel blockage has cleared at the same time would make more sense.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Had a similar experience with my 2015 F3s just a few weeks ago. Was just about to get on the interstate and what the hell, the bike began to jerk, backfire and had to keep the throttle moving so it wouldn't die on the way back home. I had only gone 1.5 miles when this happened. No previous indication of any rough idle or turning off on it's own. Service was due at 28K and the bike has 30K so wasn't too far out past the required service. First thing came to mind was to change the fuel filter. No difference, so next was the spark plugs, which is a lot of stuff to remove, tagged, labeled and bagged, so while in there I replaced the plugs from BajaRon, coils, the evap pre-filter along with cleaning and re-oiling the K&N air filter. NOW, THE MAIN REASON I HAD FOR THE JERKING, BACKFIRING AND HAVING DIFFICULTY IN KEEPING IT RUNNING AT IDLE WAS - - - - a FINGERTIGHT SPARK PLUG. It happened to my neighbor when his 2015 F3 had less than 2K miles on it. Runs like new again.