Spyder Garage

Default Is this noise caused by a bearing?

Good morning guys, I need your advice and help. I am the owner of a 2018 Can Am Spyder F3s with SE gearbox with 54000km, which I have always carried out maintenance on. I have always used fully synthetic oil, I also recently changed the H CM filter and the oil. I also replaced the front pulley with the new white one about 20,000 km ago and I no longer had any problems. Now, however, I have a strange noise coming from the left side, a metallic noise that appears only when I release the accelerator knob, and only while driving, while with the gearbox in n, this does not occur.
    I have already checked the front pulley and its screw, but they are ok, I have checked the arms and they are ok, I have checked the heat shields of the mufflers and they are ok, I have checked the brake pads. Brake discs and calipers are ok. Shock absorbers ok, plastics ok, airbox ok. Tire bearings ok. I think it's the bearing, since I did a test by putting a hydraulic stand to raise the rear wheel and making it spin freely the rear wheel bearing was silent while I heard some strange noises coming from right behind the front pulley
    I'm starting to suspect that it's the bearing on the shaft between engine and transmission.
    I will talk to my trusted mechanic about it. Does anyone know if it's a long job, but still doable? I think I'll buy the workshop manual. And above all, if I included an exploded view of the gearbox, someone would be able to tell me the bearing codes. Also, should I also reorder a new screw for the front pulley or can I reuse the old one? Thanks and sorry for the bad English.
    Last edited by GabrieleItalia; 04-08-2024 at 02:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Most will tell you if you take the bolt out of that pulley you should put a new bolt and crush washer on that pulley when putting it back on, and use the correct compounds on the threads and shaft, and torque to spec. What kind of sound are you hearing?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thank you very much for your valuable reply. Today I had a little more free time and did some tests. One of these was going to the top of a hill and going down in N gear and the bike didn't make any kind of noise. As soon as I restarted in first gear, the bike began to make that annoying noise while releasing the throttle. I spoke to my mechanic, who tested the motorbike, and ruled out that it was the drive shaft bearing, while he hypothesized that it was most likely given the fact that the noise occurs only during the release phase and in particular mode In first gear, whether it is some malfunction in the clutch level. In fact, as soon as you stop in first gear and the clutch is pulled by the automatic system, the noise disappears. I'll keep you up-to-date

Spyder Garage

A belt going bad can cause this kind of issue. This happened to me. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Intersting. Could you write your experience? It could be useful to me before intervening unnecessarily by dismantling unnecessary parts. I’ve never changed the belt. It seems good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might check the drive sprocket for the "Red Dust", if your F3S hasn't had
    that sprocket changed it is probably due! The white sprocket is NOT the final fix.

My 2 cents worth,, Bill
    Last edited by Knizar; 04-08-2024 at 04:37 PM.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the replies. It seems strange to me that it could be the front sprocket as this cyclical noise only appears when the throttle is released and ends as soon as you stop, even with the gear engaged. Also, because having put the bike at the top of a climb in N gear and then having traveled down the hill in N gear, I didn't hear any type of noise. I think the same reasoning can be applied to the drive belt? What do you think about it? However, I will also check the pinion, but to be sure, should I remove the screw and see if the teeth are worn? because the marks I made on the screw, at the time of replacement, are still there, so I assume everything is ok. And lastly, the noise seems to come from the front.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 09:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

How is your belt tracking? Go forward 300 ft, stop, & check the belt tracking at rear pulley. Is it off the left side some? Since you installed a front pulley, did you get the adjusters on rear swingarm back in correct fitment? If belt is off to the left, you can bet squealing/rubbing from the front pulley. It will be rubbing on the left side flange if the belt tracks off rear pulley to the left...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 09:50 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Is the noise continuous as you slow down? Or does it just chirp for a second or so? If you barely let off the throttle and continue slowly letting off do you still get the sound?

If it's a second or two chirp it could be the torque drive between the engine and the alternator slipping.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    How is your belt tracking? Go forward 300 ft, stop, & check the belt tracking at rear pulley. Is it off the left side some? Since you installed a front pulley, did you get the adjusters on rear swingarm back in correct fitment? If belt is off to the left, you can bet squealing/rubbing from the front pulley. It will be rubbing on the left side flange if the belt tracks off rear pulley to the left...
    Thank you woodaddict. I check the belt often, and it seems fine even now. I'll do your test anyway and let you know. I've changed the front pulley more than 20,000km ago and it has never given me any problems, even the tension and direction adjustments are fine.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 11:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Is the noise continuous as you slow down? Or does it just chirp for a second or so? If you barely let off the throttle and continue slowly letting off do you still get the sound?

If it's a second or two chirp it could be the torque drive between the engine and the alternator slipping.
    Thank edmat. The noise is continuous from when I let off the gas until the Spyder stops, and as soon as it stops this vibration stops. I'll explain - the bike starts regularly, in Neutral with no noise or vibration; and when moving in Neutral, rolling downhill, there's no noise, even when the engine revs up; while as soon as I put it in gear, the clutch works, but when I let go of the gas, the vibration/noise begins (but the bike doesn't jerk) and if you let go of the gas, the noise continues until you stop, even perhaps going at 3 miles per hour; after which, as soon as the bike stops, the noise stops. Today I will try to do some tests again, and if possible to do so safely, I will record the noise in a video. But in any case, the noise seems to be localized toward the front; it almost seems to come from under the dashboard. But it is really hard to understand where it comes from. There aren’t any error codes on the dashboard. I've checked with the three buttons procedure.

What I've checked list:
    Brake calipers - ok
    Brake pads - ok
    Brake discs - ok
    Front wheels bearings - ok
    Engine oil level - ok
    Coolant level - ok
    Tyre pressure - ok
    'A' arms and all attachments - ok
    Error codes on the dashboard - ok
    Belt tension and alignment - ok
    Muffler shields - ok
    Cooling fan - ok
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 11:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

Have you changed brands of oils from what you have been using?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

On my belt you could not see the issue until you removed it and then you could see where all the humps are they had ripped about halfway thru. Riding with no torque it would be fine as soon as you gave it throttle it would sound like a bad bearing. Bruce.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I will check the belt another time safecracker, just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Have you changed brands of oils from what you have been using?
    No, I have always used the same MOTUL 7100 5w40 full synthetic oil. Now I'm waiting to have a little more time to be able to carry out some final tests, and then proceed, even if once the clutch has been opened, I will still have to wait for the seals and any defective parts, if any, to be able to close it again. The problem is that here in Europe, waiting times are longer for spare parts, as they are shipped from the USA or Canada. Thank you anyway for the many answers and advice; they help me feel a little less alone, given the absence of competent mechanics on Can Am Spyder vehicles here in Italy.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 07:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Good morning guys, I did further testing this morning, and I always went to the top of the hill and then went down both with the engine in N and with the engine in first gear and the noise didn't go away. Then I tried to go downhill with the engine off and the noise continued to persist. After an auditory analysis I realized that the noise seems to come from the front Pulley. I opened the cover again and after inspecting it better I realized that the area is full of dust and very small and fine shavings of the material the strap is made of. At this point I think I'll try to change the belt which has 54000 km on it. The front pulley (the white pulley) is in position and also the screw that stops it with the relative marks made by the marker appear to be still. What do you advise me to do? Try replacing just the belt first? I also leave you a video that I upload to YouTube so you can hear the noise

https://youtube.com/shorts/CwTxsVFrC...e2OFFeRH0riqvr

Spyder Garage

After listening to that clip, I wouldn't be replacing JUST the belt without checking very carefully with your Dealer AND BRP that your bike isn't subject to the Front Pulley Recall and giving them the opportunity to fix it all PROPERLY!!

That White Pulley you've fitted was an earlier attempt by BRP to reduce excessive WIND Noise made by the holes in the pulley as it rotated; but the Front Pulley Recall is for pulley spline failures that might initially sound very much like yours does now; but can eventually end up with your bike being unable to move, possibly failing at the worst possible moment and risking your life &/or that of others! I know it's a long thread, but have a read thru the thread linked below, and pay attention to the links to the Recall Notice & the TSB's - the White Pulley IS NOT a long-term fix for the Pulley Problem that it sounds like yours may be suffering from!

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ghlight=Pulley

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 06:50 PM. Reason: a
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    After listening to that clip, I wouldn't be replacing JUST the belt without checking very carefully with your Dealer AND BRP that your bike isn't subject to the Front Pulley Recall and giving them the opportunity to fix it all PROPERLY!!

That White Pulley you've fitted was an earlier attempt by BRP to reduce excessive WIND Noise made by the holes in the pulley as it rotated; but the Front Pulley Recall is for pulley spline failures that might initially sound very much like yours does now; but can eventually end up with your bike being unable to move, possibly failing at the worst possible moment and risking your life &/or that of others! I know it's a long thread, but have a read thru the thread linked below, and pay attention to the links to the Recall Notice & the TSB's - the White Pulley IS NOT a long-term fix for the Pulley Problem that it sounds like yours may be suffering from!

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ghlight=Pulley

Good Luck!
    Hi Peter and thanks for your reply. I was just about to write an update of a further test I did. In fact, I lifted the Spyder on the hydraulic lift and checked it carefully and in fact in some movements by rotating the tire forward and sliding the belt it seems that the front pulley has played a role and is making that damned noise. I will order the new screw and front pulley at my expense. Because unfortunately here in Italy Can Am assistance is almost absent. However, I will continue to update you on the state of things. Thank you for your valuable experience.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 06:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

The recall pulley is a silver color. If you can order it. There is a # for it. I don't have it, it's posted here quite a few times
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Thank you. I'm ordering the parts. I'll keep you updated.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 06:49 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GabrieleItalia View Post
    Hi Peter and thanks for your reply. I was just about to write an update of a further test I did. In fact, I lifted the spider on the hydraulic lift and checked it carefully and in fact in some movements by rotating the tire forward and sliding the belt it seems that the front pulley has played a role and is making that damned noise. I will order the new screw and front pulley at my expense. Because unfortunately here in Italy Canam assistance is almost absent. However, I will continue to update you on the state of things. Thank you for your valuable experience
    Make sure you use the CORRECT Paste when putting the new pulley on .... It is posted on other Threads dealing with this ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 06:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Make sure you use the CORRECT Paste when putting the new pulley on .... It is posted on other Threads dealing with this ....Mike

Yes Mike, thank you. I still have both the lockite and the fat from the previous time. As soon as the spare parts arrive, I will update you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 06:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

I changed the front sprocket. It seems that it was the cause of the annoying noise. It had play on the splines of the transmission shaft and in the front sprocket. I'll update more as soon as I have time to test it thoroughly, but I really think this was the problem!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2024 at 06:35 PM.