Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Need new Tires for 2015 F3-S - what's everyone running?

It's that time again looking for tires what's everyone running?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-06-2024 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2015 F3S , silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave7691 View Post
    It's that time again looking for tires whats everyone running ?
    Well currently the Vredestein " Quatrac " 165/60-15 is the highest rated tire that will fit .....I have the older version the " Quatrac-5 " and love it .....For the rear the Altimax RT 45 in 215/60-15 or 225/60-15 are still great , however I found the Riken RAPTOR HR to be it's equal .... and the Raptor is $ 50.00 less and shipped free. All of them are at Tire Rack.com .... if you order from them DECLINE to tell them they are for a Spyder, they may not sell them to you .....good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Never Ending Search for the Perfect Tire!

Here is a tire ranking chart from Tire Rack. I removed tires from their chart that don't come in sizes that we can use on the Spyder. And I apologize for the picture size. Not sure how to make them larger. The actual size is 800 x 279 pixels. But you can see the full chart using the link below.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=GTAS

This chart is not the end all, but gives a good idea of the relative attributes of each tire. I like Tire Rack because they test tons of tires on the same vehicles with the same drivers in the same conditions back to back. Customer reviews are very subjective. What they rave about may be better than the worn out tires they replaced. But not necessarily a good data point. So, this chart is only for reference. We all have our preferences and I'm not trying to target anyone or any specific tire. Though there are tires I would avoid.

It's too bad the Kuhmo ECSTA AST and YOKOHAMA AVID TOURING-S are not listed as these are also popular tires with the Spyder community. What the Kuhmo has going for it is the OEM tire size. Which I personally think should be a few notches down on the list of importance. A slightly larger diameter tire is actually a better choice for a few reasons. And I'm not thrilled with the Kuhmo in the rain, though it is a decent tire and we carry it because some customers feel better about an OEM size tire. If I had to rate the Kuhmo, I'd put it in a category with the LAUFENN G FIT AS. And the YOKOHAMA as a bit lower. Both are fine in the dry but less than stellar performance in the wet that drives my opinion. I also rate traction over longevity. Just so you understand my bias with tires (no pun intended).

If you don't care about wet traction and you want a longer lasting tire, yours may be different choice.

Tire Ratings SM.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-06-2024 at 05:20 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have 175/55R16 Vredestein Quatrac's (Kenda's are 165/55R15's) on the front of both of my Spyders. There's a General (215/60R15) on the back of one; and the other one will get a General in the fall, when it comes out of storage.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2024 at 02:53 AM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well currently the Vredestein " Quatrac " 165/60-15 is the highest rated tire that will fit .....I have the older version the " Quatrac-5 " and love it .....For the rear the Altimax RT 45 in 215/60-15 or 225/60-15 are still great , however I found the Riken RAPTOR HR to be it's equal .... and the Raptor is $ 50.00 less and shipped free. All of them are at Tire Rack.com .... if you order from them DECLINE to tell them they are for a Spyder, they may not sell them to you .....good luck ....Mike
    Who will install them on the rims? I want to replace my front tires
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

any tire shop CAN, but some won't. Don't tell them what they are for.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    Find yourself an independent bike shop they will do it for you. For the front tires if they ask what the rims go on, tell them it's a trailer!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I had Discount Tire mount Federals and Big O mounted Vredestein tires twice.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Tires are like oil - everyone has their opinion. Keep in mind that your F3S is a bit lighter than the RT and even the F3L. If you ride aggressive, you need to be mindful of harder compounds being easier to spin on lighter Spyders.

Me personally - a super aggressive rider on an F3S (but with Viking Bags and Trunk) - I love the Continental ContiProContacts 165/60R15 up front at 16-17 PSI (Preferred the Federals which you can't find any longer but these are a close second) and the Yokohama AVID Ascend GT 205/60R15 in the rear at 20PSI. YMMV.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I just ordered the Altimax 215/60r15 from Walmart for $96. Everyone else was $118. or more.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

You can tell them it is for a Smart Car as we have a customer running front wheels from a Spyder on his Smart Car.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-10-2024 at 02:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    I just ordered the Altimax 215/60r15 from Walmart for $96. Everyone else was $118. or more.
    Yes that is a great tire , but I switched to the RIKEN Raptor HR it's available in 215 and 225 size for the rear at Tire Rack .... and it's $82.00 shipped free ..... If you order from them DECLINE to tell them what it's going on .... I really like my Riken in Dry or Wet weather .....Mike

Spyder Garage

I didn't want the rims damaged when I go to replace the tires.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

I didn't want the rims damaged when I go to replace the tires.
    If that's the case, then DON'T go to your Dealer!! Like Mikey & others have said, find yourself an Independent bike/tire shop & get them to do it!

Realistically, that's probably what your BRP dealer does anyway - I haven't found a dealer here in Oz who actually does their own 'strip & fit' tire work on Spyder rims anyway!! They might do it for other brands of motorcycles, cos they've got all the gear for motorcycle tires & rims; but Spyder rims are CAR rims, and for all intents and purposes, so are all the tires that will fit onto those rims - so the dealers generally outsource all that stuff to a place that's got the correct gear to do it properly and without damaging the rims.

Besides, by avoiding the dealer's 'middle-man mark-up' AND going straight to the place that'll be responsible for any damage, IF any is ever going to occur, you'll usually find that the independent place is not so much of a rip-off price wise; they generally take more care to do it right; and if you choose someone you're happy with/can establish an ongoing, mutually beneficial working relationship with, they tend to be better at doing it right much more so than the 'lowest bidder' the dealer found to do the job this time around!

So for you, it might take a little effort up front, but in the long-term, it's Wins All Around!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 07:13 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I put together a spreadsheet with various front and rear tires that will fit my 2017 Spyder RT-L. I ended up going with the Hankook Ventus 2 Concept 2 for the rear. The front went with Hankook Ventus 4 ES for the front. I have been really happy. Very good handling and stability. My neighbor liked the fronts, so he ordered the same thing for his front 2017 F3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-11-2024 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ColemanJ View Post
    I put together a spreadsheet with various front and rear tires that will fit my 2017 Spyder RT-L. I ended up going with the Hankook Ventus 2 Concept 2 for the rear. The front went with Hankook Ventus 4 ES for the front. I have been really happy. Very good handling and stability. My neighbor liked the fronts, so he ordered the same thing for his front 2017 F3.
    Baja Ron put up a ratings chart recently Hankook wasn't one that He liked .... So I checked with the Tire Rack .... the best either of those models you posted was rated GOOD; and in the winter, they were only Fair..... From what other members have said about Hankook tires is that they are likely to last a very long time. If you only ride say 5,000 mi. per year, those tires are likely to AGE out before they WEAR out...... Thanks for your review .... I wish more folks here let us know what their tires are doing .....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-11-2024 at 01:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ColemanJ View Post
    There are two Vredesteins:

Quatrac is a directional tread pattern and the Quatrac 5 non directional tread pattern. I have the Quatrac directionals on both of my 2018 Spyders(fronts).

According to Vredestein web page, they do not make the Quatrac 5 in a size for the front of a Spyder. https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-t...885-QUATRAC-5/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 04-11-2024 at 09:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    There are two Vredesteins:

Quatrac is a directional tread pattern and the Quatrac 5 non directional tread pattern. I have the Quatrac directionals on both of my 2018 Spyders(fronts).

According to Vredestein web page, they do not make the Quatrac 5 in a size for the front of a Spyder. https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-t...885-QUATRAC-5/
    According to Tire Rack - TODAY they have the Q-5 in 155/60-15 .... which is a bit small for our Spyders ..... It appears Vredestein is no longer making them, they have been superseded by the "Q" model .....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-11-2024 at 07:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

I expect to receive a lot of flame for this. I have a 2015 F3s with a Baja Ron stabilizer bar and Elka shocks. I just replaced the tires with Kenda KR20 Kanine's. They are designed for the Spyder. The previous Kenda's performed well and the Kanine's are even better in my experience. To each his own, but I'm not a fan of underinflated car tires.
    2015 F3 S , Can Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OK-DZ9R View Post
    I expect to receive a lot of flame for this. I have a 2015 F3s with a Baja Ron stabilizer bar and Elka shocks. I just replaced the tires with Kenda KR20 Kanine's. They are designed for the Spyder. The previous Kenda's performed well and the Kanine's are even better in my experience. To each his own, but I'm not a fan of underinflated car tires.
    I won't Flame you on this .... because I'm not a fan of underinflated car tire ( or any other tires ) either. .... However if you understand the Science behind what PSI you should use, you should agree that a lightweight vehicle must have a PSI using the weight of that vehicle as the determining factor .....Mike

Spyder Garage

I was helping a friend yesterday who just bought a 2022 RTL with 2600 miles on it. One front tire had a strip of weights about 9" long and the other about 2". Enough said about the quality of Kenda tires, as my first Spyder with 5240 mile was the same way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I won't Flame you on this .... because I'm not a fan of underinflated car tire ( or any other tires ) either. .... However if you understand the Science behind what PSI you should use, you should agree that a lightweight vehicle must have a PSI using the weight of that vehicle as the determining factor .....Mike
    No tire is under inflated until the PSI falls below the required amount for the weight it is carrying.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OK-DZ9R View Post
    Everyone should run what they think is best.

My grandfather ran aircraft tires with no air at all on his rock desert buggy. Since they were designed to carry so much more weight, they didn't need any air at all to carry that vehicle. They looked and rode like they were fully inflated. My grandfather's logic was that this way, he couldn't get a flat tire. And he was right. They worked great! You only need enough air in a tire to carry the weight of the vehicle they are mounted on. Over inflation is also a bad thing. To put 30 or 40 psi in a tire that only needs 20 to properly carry the vehicle would be a bad idea.

The fact that thousands have put who knows how many miles on 'Car' tires with better results than with the Kenda's might also be considered a valid data point.

I think you'll be fine with the Kenda Kanine's. But remember. Not all components are 'engineered' for the buyer. Some are engineered to put more money in the pockets of the manufacturer...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-12-2024 at 11:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

Just changed the front on my 2015 F3 with 28,000 miles. Had my local tire shop mount and balance for $60 and got the KR20 Kenda's from Amazon for $150. Tire date was Nov 2023 so pretty new. I replaced because of age because the stock still had a year or 2 more.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Just changed the front on my 2015 F3 with 28,000 miles. Had my local tire shop mount and balance for $60 and got the KR20 Kenda's from Amazon for $150. Tire date was Nov 2023 so pretty new. I replaced because of age because the stock still had a year or 2 more.
    No point changing if zero issues. A rough calculation would be at least a million Kendas have been used on Spyders to date but like anything you only hear about the problematic cases. That then turns into reported personalised benefits of alternatives that don't replicate the original intended design parameters of the Kendas. Whether that suits your needs or not is akin to the discussion about 5w40 v 10w40 oil. Both do the job with minor calculations needed by the individual circumstances to nail what is more important overall if you want to fine tune.
    They're all round and black and as long as it's got oil has also worked for countless billions of vehicle owners that just want to get from A to B which in turn gives rise to competing suppliers who all claim latest and greatest but that can't be proven till the product is exhausted.
    Do your own research and if the product is lacking or not then you have the answer. If you can't be bothered researching, consider the hundreds of variables that apply to reaching a conclusion on which tyre and if you think your circumstances match that exactly of the reviewer you've just got lucky but the odds of that happening are slim to none. Does the word compromise now ring a bell if you use a different tyre?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2024 at 09:07 PM. Reason: ' 's
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic