Spyder Garage

Default New to me 2009 RS with ABS/VSS/EBD fault - Any ideas??

Just acquired a 2009 RS with 30K miles for very little money. It's permanently in limp home due to ABS/VSS/EBD fault. Dealer claims ABS unit needs replacing. It has had front and rear brakes separated for over 15k miles with front brake lever and master cylinder on handlebars. This was supposedly a kit but i have no information on it.
    Any help or information would be really appreciated. I don't believe the ABS unit has suddenly failed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-06-2024 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2014 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The first step with ANY problem presenting multiple faults/issues like this is to CHECK THE BATTERY AND ALL TERMINALS & EARTHS!!

It might be something else, but multiple system failures resulting in limp home mode are quite rare and invariably expensive to fix; dead or dying batteries, especially in older bikes, are VERY COMMON, especially with the under the seat batteries and dodgy earth points under there on bikes of this vintage, and they are relatively easy to diagnose and cheap to fix! Heaps of info and reading if you search for it.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't help with your fault codes...But I do remember that a guy named Ken that ran a different Spyder Forum offered a kit that seperated the front and rear brakes...That was way back in the 08 & 09 GS only days...larryd

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Coolvirgo54 View Post
    Just acquired a 2009 RS with 30K miles for very little money. It's permanently in limp home due to ABS/VSS/EBD fault. Dealer claims ABS unit needs replacing. It has had front and rear brakes separated for over 15k miles with front brake lever and master cylinder on handlebars. This was supposedly a kit but i have no information on it.
    Any help or information would be really appreciated. I don't believe the ABS unit has suddenly failed.
    I assume you know that on a Spyder, the ABS unit isn’t just an ABS unit. It is the Vehicle Control Module. One of the black box computers in the system. Occasionally they do go belly up suddenly. Besides battery and battery connections, check fuses, and wheel speed sensors. Both sensor gap and sensor wire harness for damage. The brakes have been split for 15k with no issues? Probably not that.

And while you have it all apart, change the vacuum hoses while you’re in there. Two to the MAP sensor and one to the fuel pressure regulator.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 04-06-2024 at 03:00 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238