Spyder Garage

Default Rear brake pads frustration - any ideas on how to loosen all the Loctite??

Am I ever frustrated... the amount of Loctite and Florida salty air corrosion made the removal of the bolt that holds the pads impossible.
    I stopped before I rounded it off, what a pain. BRP seems to be obsessed with Loctite everywhere in large amounts, I'll try another day.
    Sorry about the rant... open to suggestions, right now I'm waiting to see if PB Blaster will help... arrgghhh!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-04-2024 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

A bit of heat on the bolt head should make that yellow Loctite loosen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jma57 View Post
    Am I ever frustrated...the amount of Loctite and Florida salty air corrosion made the removal of the bolt that holds the pads impossible.
    I stopped before I rounded it off, what a pain. BRP seems to be obsessed with Loctite everywhere in large amounts, I'll try another day.
    Sorry about the rant...open to suggestions, right now I'm waiting to see if PB Blaster will help..arrgghhh!
    Just asking, you did remember to remove the holding push clip from the bolt prior to tiring to remove it, correct???

Al in Kazoo
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-04-2024 at 05:22 PM.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Just asking, you did remember to remove the holding push clip from the bolt prior to tiring to remove it, correct???

Al in Kazoo
    Yes Sir, I did. The caliper's bolts were just as bad but I could get much better leverage and torque to get them out. Tomorrow I'm going to try removing that bolt with the caliper still on the trike, in hindsight that's what I should have done...live and learn.

Spyder Garage

Heat is your friend.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jma57 View Post
    Am I ever frustrated... the amount of Loctite and Florida salty air corrosion made the removal of the bolt that holds the pads impossible.
    Sorry about the rant... open to suggestions, right now I'm waiting to see if PB Blaster will help... arrgghhh!!
    I'd be very very careful about spraying anything EXCEPT Brake cleaner near the Pads or Rotors .... Try heating the bolts with a Soldering Iron .... also after getting the tool onto the bolt give it a few sharp raps with a hammer ... this works really well on OIL plugs .... good luck ....Mike

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep I have a little bernzomatic torch like lamonster has in this video, it was only about $20 at lowes and came with a solder tip so I don't have to plug in to solder anymore unless I have something delicate.

It has a nice small little flame and keeps the heat right where you need it on the bolt. Only takes about 15-20 seconds to loosen anything up.

Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 04-05-2024 at 03:01 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your help!
    I was away for a few days, so today I tried it again: A few sharp raps per Mike's suggestion, kind of hard because of limited space, then I tightened the bolt as far as I had loosened it before, a couple more raps and the little bugger finally came out.
    If that didn't work, I had the torch ready....
    The fronts were so much easier with much better access to those bolts.