Spyder Garage

Lightbulb 2013 STS - any help/ideas on how to clean corrosion from fuse box & wiring?

I’m looking for help or suggestions on how to clean the fuse box and wiring harness of corrosion. Please let me know if anyone else has had this same issue and how you corrected the problem.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2024 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question - we already know it's a Can Am Spyder! ... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Baking soda as well as WD40 will help clean up corrosion. Use baking soda first and WD40 to prevent it from coming back. Use just water and compressed air (if you have it) to clean up the baking soda.

Spyder Garage

First- Disconnect battery then you can carefully attempt to clean. There are a few spray solvents that claim to work; sorry, I have not tried them. When I was employed & cleaning small electronics contact & circuit boards, we used isopropyl alcohol; & on the deep hard stuff, simple pencil erasers with iso follow up. The cleaners were also wooden q-tips; a lil stronger & with thicker tips. I do suggest having a good number of q-tips on hand for the tight areas.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2024 at 11:25 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the suggestions..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Sims View Post
    I’m looking for help or suggestions on how to clean the fuse box and wiring harness of corrosion. Please let me know if anyone else has had this same issue and how you corrected the problem.
    1. you’ll need to determine the reason for the extensive corrosion and correct it. In my case I cracked the black outer fuse box cover that let rain and wash water directly into the fuse box. And because it is waterproof except for the crack I caused, the offending water stayed in there a long time!
    2. Definitely disconnect the battery. Pull all the fuses and relays out. Inspect for internal corrosion inside the j-case fuses & replace. Manually clean the terminals of blade fuses and relays with a bristle brush. Manually clean the interior of the fuse openings.
    3. Spray the fuse and relay blades with CorrisionX or DeoxIT D5 (see photo attached). Spray the interior parts of the fuse box with one of the corrosion treatments. Manually clean everything again while wet with cleaner.
    4. Fill a spray bottle with distilled water and thoroughly rinse everything off. Set a fan on the area and let it dry like that overnight.
    5. Repeat cleaning steps above. I repeated the process three times. Do not reassemble and try to start until completely dry.

I don’t think corrosion got into my wiring harness so I’m no help there.

IMG_4205.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2024 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally