Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar - Help me decide: BajaRon Regular or Ultimate Sway Bar?

I'm trying to set up an appointment with SpyderPops when in Hot Springs to have some work done.

I'm getting the headlights and foglights replaced with BajaRon's LEDs, and I think I'd like to upgrade the sway bar, but am not sure if I want the regular or ultimate sway bar. (Will do new linkages with either.)

We are usually two up, but both normal to small sized people. I've only noticed any issues a few times on curves where I have to adjust the steering, and I also do like a little lean. I don't want the bike to feel too hard or unresponsive.

Can someone help me decide which to get?
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Spyder Garage

How many miles have you ridden your Spyder?

How much do you and your passenger weigh together?

How much weight do you plan to carry in the storage compartments?

The Ultra-Bar is designed so that it will not be too stiff for lighter applications. But if you don't need the additional efficiency provided by the Ultra-Bar, you don't need to spend the additional $45.00 or so. Answer these questions for me and I will be able to give you better advice.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-02-2024 at 08:36 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    How many miles have you ridden your Spyder?

How much do you and your passenger weigh together?

How much weight do you plan to carry in the storage compartments?

The Ultra-Bar is designed so that it will not be too stiff for lighter applications. But if you don't need the additional efficiency provided by the Ultra-Bar, you don't need to spend the additional $45.00 or so. Answer these questions for me and I will be able to give you better advice.
    Thanks Ron!

We have about 3-4k miles on the bike since purchasing it. Bike is about 8k miles total.
    We weigh about 300lbs together.
    Regularly, we'd have maybe 10 lbs in the comparments. (Tire patch inflate stuff, rain gear, and windshield cleaner/rags) For overnight trips, maybe make it 30-40.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    Thanks Ron!

We have about 3-4k miles on the bike since purchasing it. Bike is about 8k miles total.
    We weigh about 300lbs together.
    Regularly, we'd have maybe 10 lbs in the comparments. (Tire patch inflate stuff, rain gear, and windshield cleaner/rags) For overnight trips, maybe make it 30-40.
    The weight of the passenger is more significant (pound for pound) than the driver because they sit higher and farther back on the bike and thus create more centrifugal force. It is too bad that getting a chance to ride with both sway bar systems isn't practical. It is good that you've put that many miles on your Spyder. With 8k in the saddle, you probably have settled into a (what's normal for you) riding style.

Yours is a hard one to call. Normally, I like to recommend the Ultra-Bar for anyone riding 2-up. 2-up riders is exactly what I designed that bar kit for. But at your weight, if you are a leisurely rider, especially on curvy roads. I'd say the Original bar will do you just fine. Thought you don't have to ride like Evil Knievel to appreciate the Ultra-Bar. Nor will it give you a stiffer ride. You may not be able to appreciate the added control with your lighter than average, 2-up riding.

However, if you ever plan on loading up for a trip, (it's easy to put 100 lbs. or more in the RT storage compartments). And especially weight in a top box. Then the Ultra-Bar would be more in your ball park.

Great question. Thank you for letting me pontificate on it!

Spyder Garage

Thanks again! I'm somewhat more than a "leisuraly rider", and seem to be getting more aggressive as my comfort level goes up, lol. If it's a matter of both will work fine, and the ultimate won't seem too stiff, the extra few bucks isn't really the deciding factor, so I think I'm "leaning" that way. (See what I did there?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    Thanks again! I'm somewhat more than a "leisuraly rider", and seem to be getting more aggressive as my comfort level goes up, lol. If it's a matter of both will work fine, and the ultimate won't seem too stiff, the extra few bucks isn't really the deciding factor, so I think I'm "leaning" that way. (See what I did there?)
    If you're converting your increasing riding skills into having more fun in the curves. If you just enjoy the feeling going through the twisties gives you. Then definitely, the Ulta-Bar is your better choice. It will grow with your skills where you may exceed what the original bar can deliver. Please call the shop to order. It's the least expensive way to go.