Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by librarian View Post
    Such wonderful information. I signed up for a Can Am riding class on the 25th and 26th of April. I think it will give me some good experience in a positive learning environment. I already have a Motorcycle endorsement on my license. Still, I think it will be a good experience for me. I've also learned that it's not a good idea to buy a 2013 model due to the heat issues. If I were to get serious about an older bike, it will become imperative for me to make sure there's a shop around here that will work on it. I think I probably could get along with a 998 rig, but I just don't want to have to do all the work on it. There was a time when I never took anything to the shop, but not anymore.

Don Williams a.k.a. librarian
    There was a recall on the 2013 RT heat issues, and by now, most 2013's (and quite a few earlier and later models too ) have had that recall done - it involved removing the excessive sound deadening material from under the tupperware and adding two large air intakes, one on either side below the mirrors where other RT models usually have little clear 'mini-windscreen' style winglets to keep the rain off your knees!! Once you see a Spyder with those intakes fitted, it becomes an obvious and an easy way to tell if the Heat Recall has been done!

The reason that there was excessive heat collected under the tupperware so that the recall became essential was that the 2013 RT was meant to be released with the 1330 Triple engines, an engine that's wider rather than long, like the V-Twins are; but cos the 1330 motors weren't ready in time, BRP stuffed the V-Twin back into a hole and a bike with suspension & brakes that'd been upgraded to take the wider, heavier, torquier but lazier motors; all of which messed with the air flow around the engine & created a heat trap under the tupperware!!

BUT, that still means that apart from the (lazier but torquier motor) the 2013's got ALL the other upgrades, including frame improvements that made for better ride & handling; Brembo Brakes that massively improved the braking; and a heap more besides, effectively making the 2013 RT's with the Heat Recall work done, and in fact all the 2013+ V-Twin powered Spyders with the Heat Recall work done (the Heat Recall was a non-mandatory minor panel change on the other models, but you could still get RSS & ST V-Twins up until about 2016 ) arguably by far the pick of the V-Twins, and for many, especially those who appreciate the revvier, peppier, far more responsive and exciting when teamed with their better handling due to their lighter weight, the absolute best choice of Spyder's to own & ride!!

As for not getting parts, besides some obvious panel changes, not too much in the frame & driveline has changed since 2013, and there are a growing number of V-Twin powered Spyders out there with over 150,000 mainly trouble-free miles, some with well over 200,000 miles; many of them being those 2013+ models which have all the goodies intended for the 1330 release without the imposition of the lazier, less exciting to ride/operate 1330 motor!! Besides, given a little mechanical sympathy and some relatively easy to do basic maintenance, the V-Twin Rotax engine is pretty much indestructible!

So the 2013+ V-Twin powered Spyders are arguably the pick of the crop, and unless you're looking at buying a 'maintenance neglected' really high milage 2013+ V-Twin powered Spyder, or maybe one that's done too few miles (ie, anything less than an average of about 2-3000 miles per year, which means it's been spending a lot of time just sitting around & deteriorating! ) you will be fairly unlikely to have any engine issues, and many of other important parts are still in use or available elsewhere anyway!! AND there's a growing number of really competent Spyder Techs out there who are no longer working for & so fettered by BRP's slavish & pointless restrictions on what they can do &/or fit too, so with any luck, you won't even hafta do all the (relatively easy) general maintenance yourself either!!

Personally, I wouldn't discount ANY of the non-1330 models as a great, cost effective start for a newbie Spyder Ryder/owner; and by preference, I'd always go for one of the 2013 & on V-Twin Spyder models that's had the Heat Recall work done over any 1330 model anyway, simply cos the V-Twins have enough creature comforts without all the fragile & unnecessary digital crap & useless fripperies and they've got all the good mods & brakes etc; plus, BRP hasn't yet come up with a package that's sufficiently exciting or as much fun to ride that it stands any chance of enticing me away from my 2013 RT!! And to top it all off, you can get an ECU Upgrade that'll make any of the V-Twins more powerful and almost as economical as the 1330's too, all within the proven safety & reliability limits of the engine/trans as used in other platforms, with the exception that you will still be a little restricted in the ultimate potential range by the pre-1330's smaller gas tank, but then again, that smaller tank (20 useable litres vs 24 useable litres ) does help reduce the overall weight and adds even more to the V-Twin's 'get up and get outta here' fun & capability!

There's a lot going for any of the 2013 & on V-Twin Spyders, especially as a cost effective 'First Spyder'!

Just Sayin' And despite having done more miles than many owners on 1330 powered Spyders, I'm STILL enjoying the heck outta my 2013 RT so much that it'd take a helluva lot to drag me kicking and screaming off it and onto one of those lesser, lazier, & odd sounding 1330 powered models on a permanent basis!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2024 at 01:06 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I've learned much from this forum and have already watched quite a number YouTube videos on Spyders, Spyder buying tips, comparisons to other trikes and bikes etc. I have the feeling I'm just scratching the surface. It's fascinating. It also stimulates the research librarian in me to learn as much as I can. I had begun to think my riding days were over, but now I find that many of my generation are on Spyders. If they can do it, I can too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've learned much from this forum and have already watched quite a number YouTube videos on Spyders, Spyder buying tips, comparisons to other trikes and bikes etc. I have the feeling I'm just scratching the surface. It's fascinating. It also stimulates the research librarian in me to learn as much as I can. I had begun to think my riding days were over, but now I find that many of my generation are on Spyders. If they can do it, I can too.

You will not regret it! Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am grateful to all of you who have responded to my post with sage advice and tips for what to do. I've mostly been a touring bike guy. In the last 26 years, the smallest bike I've owned was a Honda cb900. I've also owned a Honda 1100 ACE, two Goldwing's as well as my Ultra Classic. So, I think you are all correct in advising me to go with a Spyder over a Ryker. Initially, I was thinking about getting a Polaris RZR, but I think a street ride would get more use overall. I love trail riding too. Had a RZR 900 but no longer. Wish I had it back. I don't wish for my Harley again, but I would surely love to have a nice street ride. No one advised me on the price of the F3-T I mentioned for 17K. It looks very nice. Is that about the best I could hope for price wise on a 2020 Spyder? I'll continue to look around. Renting one for a day is a good idea. I'll look into that. Thanks again to all of you.

There is a trusted spyder seller on this forum ....IMotorsports .... click on their AD on the home page ..... they ship Spyders for free in the US. .... It will give you a good idea on what's out there and at what price .... PS Driving a Spyder is way different than any two wheeler .... as I said earlier just drive it like a car - using gentle inputs ....& test the brakes .....good luck ...Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-02-2024 at 11:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

I inquired about my local dealership's policy on older Spyders. They do not work on anything older than 10 years. This information is important to me. I'm in a rural area in Ohio. I live in Clinton County and the nearest cities of any size are Dayton and Cincinnati. I'll have to see what I can learn about independent shops who work on and are knowledgeable about older Spyders. If any of you have information on that for my area, it would be very much appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Don for the price of an RT you can get 2 Ryker, one for each of you.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

The 2013 RT might have been the worst Spyder BRP produced out of the box. Though the 2010 RT would certainly give it a run. But the truth is, both are great machines with some easily fixed, relatively minor engineering flaws that totally decimated these 2 models. Because they have such a bad reputation, you can usually get these 2 models for less than the identical (other year model) machines.

Shocks were very bad on both of these year models. The Evap Canister on all of the 2008-2012's was a dangerous disaster in engineering malpractice. The crankcase ventilation system on all the 998's was poorly designed and then you have the exposed, plastic slave cylinder issue on all the 2013 models. But all of these issues are easily and cheaply corrected. And some were addressed by BRP in recalls. The 2010 and 2013 RT's are great machines once these shortcomings are addressed. And you can usually come out money ahead in the bargan.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I dis-agree with test riding with TWO persons .... if the opr. has never driven any Spyder ... starting out with a passenger especially one that weighs 260 lbs. is asking for trouble ..... JMHO ....Mike
    Agreed that he ought to be comfortable first, but there's no question in my mind that the ride two-up is where the advantages of the 1330 engine are most pronounced, and the only good way to evaluate that is to take a typical ride two-up. For me, there just wasn't enough power in the smaller engine, but that's a lot about the rider.

I inquired about my local dealership's policy on older Spyders. They do not work on anything older than 10 years. This information is important to me. I'm in a rural area in Ohio. I live in Clinton County and the nearest cities of any size are Dayton and Cincinnati. I'll have to see what I can learn about independent shops who work on and are knowledgeable about older Spyders. If any of you have information on that for my area, it would be very much appreciated.

If that's the case, and it that holds for nearly identical Spyders made in different years (so they will work on 2021 RT at some point, but not on the virtually identical 2020), then you may really want to invest in a newer model. Also, there are examples of dealerships that stop selling Spyders, and then stop working on them altogether, even if they sold it you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2024 at 12:34 PM.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

She will never want to drive one. I did think about though.

Don Williams a.k.a. Librarian

Spyder Garage

I agree with the Spyder comments. I bought a Ryker 900 when they first came out and loved it (after riding 2 wheels for a long time prior). But I view it as more a "run around town" type machine. I had the rear seat installed and it was comfortable for kids or small adults, but my wife didn't like sitting on the back and the machine struggled with two full sized adults. And I'm not gonna lie - I upgraded to the comfort seat, but I always hit my limit for the day around 80 miles because my backside couldn't take any more. I upgraded to a Spyder RT two years ago - no comparison. Now I can ride all day and my wife is perfectly comfortable on the back.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2024 at 11:27 PM.
    '22 Spyder RT in Hyper Silver
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Hello, I am 77 and ride a 1330 Spyder and my brother 68 rides a 998 (2012) Spyder. Before the 2023 I had a 2014 1330. I have had no maintenance issues on either 1330. On the other hand my brother has had constant maintenance repairs. Windshield linkage breakage, only replacement part is on ebay, constant parking brake malfunctions/warnings, constant breakage of front fender stays. If you do not catch the cracked broken fender stays in time, it results in a demolished fender, which are only available, in limited quanity, not color matched, and over priced, on ebay. BRP makes an upgraded (re-enforced & stronger) fender stay but they also are expensive ($40ish each and there are four for both fenders). On older models the shock springs start sagging, hence ground clearance is reduced, when this is combined with a heaver rider, bottoming out on driveway entryways becomes more frequent and produces stress cracks in the fiberglass front trunk. The 998 was notorious for acquiring oil leaks and overheating due to stuck or malfunctioning thermostat. The 998's all came with the outdated smaller diameter wheel, which makes replacement aftermarket tire choices limited. The 1330's have improved cooling, larger radiators etc. Heated grips no longer work, not the fuse, not the switch, not the relay. Looking expensive to regain heat. Mirrors vibrate and fall off, there are aftermarket stabilizer kits available Mileage sucks compared to the 1330 as does fuel range. BRP quit producing the 998 at the end of 2013 model year. Parts are starting to get scarce and many Can-Am dealers now refuse to work on them. If your handy mechanically and find a good unit, the price difference is compelling. I do most all the work for my brother for free. In the five years he has owned it I estimate shop repair would run between $3,000 - $5,000 if taken to a dealer. Thus if your mechanical, have the tools and facility, and check out the bike for all of the foregoing, go for it. In not I would be looking for a 2014 1330 or newer. The RTs have much better confort, reliability, and wind protection than the Ryker's. Ryker's have a snowmobile belt transmission (torque converter) that has a comparatively short life. RT's come with a 6-sp manual or semi-automatic transmission, and are much smoother riding. Hope this helps.