Hello, I am 77 and ride a 1330 Spyder and my brother 68 rides a 998 (2012) Spyder. Before the 2023 I had a 2014 1330. I have had no maintenance issues on either 1330. On the other hand my brother has had constant maintenance repairs. Windshield linkage breakage, only replacement part is on ebay, constant parking brake malfunctions/warnings, constant breakage of front fender stays. If you do not catch the cracked broken fender stays in time, it results in a demolished fender, which are only available, in limited quanity, not color matched, and over priced, on ebay. BRP makes an upgraded (re-enforced & stronger) fender stay but they also are expensive ($40ish each and there are four for both fenders). On older models the shock springs start sagging, hence ground clearance is reduced, when this is combined with a heaver rider, bottoming out on driveway entryways becomes more frequent and produces stress cracks in the fiberglass front trunk. The 998 was notorious for acquiring oil leaks and overheating due to stuck or malfunctioning thermostat. The 998's all came with the outdated smaller diameter wheel, which makes replacement aftermarket tire choices limited. The 1330's have improved cooling, larger radiators etc. Heated grips no longer work, not the fuse, not the switch, not the relay. Looking expensive to regain heat. Mirrors vibrate and fall off, there are aftermarket stabilizer kits available Mileage sucks compared to the 1330 as does fuel range. BRP quit producing the 998 at the end of 2013 model year. Parts are starting to get scarce and many Can-Am dealers now refuse to work on them. If your handy mechanically and find a good unit, the price difference is compelling. I do most all the work for my brother for free. In the five years he has owned it I estimate shop repair would run between $3,000 - $5,000 if taken to a dealer. Thus if your mechanical, have the tools and facility, and check out the bike for all of the foregoing, go for it. In not I would be looking for a 2014 1330 or newer. The RTs have much better confort, reliability, and wind protection than the Ryker's. Ryker's have a snowmobile belt transmission (torque converter) that has a comparatively short life. RT's come with a 6-sp manual or semi-automatic transmission, and are much smoother riding. Hope this helps.