Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Transporting a 12V Battery by air - will TSA allow me to carry a battery?

I have to fly to Carson City to get my Spyder from storage in Carson City, NV. Will ryde back to Lynden, WA.

My concern is that the battery will be dead as the byke has been undisturbed in an unheated UHaul storage locker for 2 months.
    No electricity in the locker. I have a jump pack that is with the byke but not hooked up. It probably needs to be charged too.
    I did unhook the byke battery completely so no parasitic discharge has been draining the battery.

I could carry my 2A battery charger with me or even take a new battery with me.

My concern is with carrying a 12V battery on the flight to Carson.
    Will TSA allow me to carry a battery?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2024 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not 1330 engine specific & expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Know some will not allow lithium batteries. Sorry, I don’t know 'bout the rest, but weight alone means it's probably better buying one after you've landed. Maybe just jumper cables can get you going? After that & at your first fresh fuel gas stop...

There is a super capacitor that can work as jump pack with whatever battery voltage the vehicle may have.

https://www.amazon.com/autowit-Super...rb_top?ie=UTF8
    (I have not tried this - just interested)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2024 at 02:33 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If the battery's not old and was in good shape when you put it away, chances are you will be in good shape. If it is old and been in use for a while you may want to have the jump pack ready to go! at best go to the bike and grab the jump pack, hook the battery up and give it a spin, if it doesn't work try the pack if that don't work go somewhere and charge it up! Trying to travel with a battery would be a PITA in my book, and you sound like you have a good backup already there!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The TSA has some information.

"Non-Spillable Wet Batteries
    Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
    Checked Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
    The information in this entry is limited to non-spillable batteries with absorbed electrolyte (gel cell, absorbed glass mat, etc.) used in portable electronic devices. It does not cover large vehicle batteries. For battery-powered wheelchairs and mobility devices, see separate entry.

The battery voltage must not exceed 12 volts and the battery watt hour rating must not exceed 100 watt hours.

Battery-powered equipment must be protected against accidental activation and the evolution of heat, and damage to the terminal posts. See FAA regulations for full packaging requirements.

No more than two spare (not installed in device/equipment) batteries may be carried."

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...rminal%20posts.

Spyder Garage

I believe most jump packs are lithium battery powered. They will not let you fly a lithium battery. On the other hand. Nearly every cell phone made is lithium battery powered. I don't know any that aren't. And they let you fly those. Maybe size has something to do with it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TSA regs

Here's a Novel suggestion ..... go to the " TSA " Flying regs that are on-line .... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Our Spyders and one motorcycle were in movers' "warehouses" for about three months in summer of 2019. From mid May until the end of July. When they arrived in the moving van, all three started on the first try.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you are sure you need/want a new battery, why not call the storage facility office and see if you can have a new battery shipped to their office, so it will be there when you get there?
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I believe most jump packs are lithium battery powered. They will not let you fly a lithium battery. On the other hand. Nearly every cell phone made is lithium battery powered. I don't know any that aren't. And they let you fly those. Maybe size has something to do with it.

Sorry couldn't resist the opportunity!

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black