Spyder Garage

Default Not a bad job - installed a new Park Brake Motor!

My buddy rides a 2016 RTL and his park brake motor bit the dust last fall. He got a new motor over the winter and I installed it this morning. Two hour job from the minute I opened my tool box until the last wrench was wiped and put away. That includes several minutes of riding stories. It was tougher getting the motor than it was replacing it. His bike doesn't run any better, but it sure does stay put after parking a lot better
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    My buddy rides a 2016 RTL and his park brake motor bit the dust last fall. He got a new motor over the winter and I installed it this morning. Two hour job from the minute I opened my tool box until the last wrench was wiped and put away. That includes several minutes of riding stories. It was tougher getting the motor than it was replacing it. His bike doesn't run any better, but it sure does stay put after parking a lot better
    Nothing wrong with being able to fix things on your own, especially simple things the dealer would charge a fortune for.

Spyder Garage

My dealer charges $168 per hour. Ridiculous! I work on mine to save money.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    My dealer charges $168 per hour. Ridiculous! I work on mine to save money.
    Don't be too hard on the dealer. His overhead on that job was likely more expensive than just his cost of the parking brake motor.

Spyder Garage

I am right in the middle of doing the plugs and wires and doing away with the air box on my 2012 rtl! I can't imagine what that would have cost a the dealers!!! A big shout out the Bajaron for the parts, and moral subport, and little push to get me to dive into this project. It was not as bad as I thought it to be.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Don't be too hard on the dealer. His overhead on that job was likely more expensive than just his cost of the parking brake motor.
    I never really had a problem with what dealerships charge since I have a close relationship to a couple of locals and understand what they are going through to keep the doors open. I try to purchase my parts from them if possible. I have been a wrench turner for one reason or the other my whole life. I am 68, but I have the tools, the capability to decipher instructions, the health, and I have always enjoyed doing my own work on my bikes. Getting up and down isn't as much fun and I may spend a bit more time in the recliner the next day, but by golly, I'll get it fixed.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I never really had a problem with what dealerships charge since I have a close relationship to a couple of locals and understand what they are going through to keep the doors open. I try to purchase my parts from them if possible. I have been a wrench turner for one reason or the other my whole life. I am 68, but I have the tools, the capability to decipher instructions, the health, and I have always enjoyed doing my own work on my bikes. Getting up and down isn't as much fun and I may spend a bit more time in the recliner the next day, but by golly, I'll get it fixed.
    I'm a couple or more years ahead of you but we must be in the same boat. Luckily for many of us in my area, the local BRP dealership lost their Can Am tech who quit and started his own business. His shop rate is $100/hr and if you watch and ask questions, it's $150/hr. LOL! Very nice and knowledgeable man who is not the ripoff type. Drop your machine off, come back a few days later and it's ready to go and doesn't need to be returned because it needs more work. I have a small business and my rate is $100/hr and several other guys I know who have small one-man businesses also charge $100/hr. It seems to be the average going rate these days. However, if you have employees, the hourly rate seems to double. Employees are expensive and are becoming more expensive as time goes on. Also, inventory is expensive and that's why repair times are longer. Parts have to be ordered. So for me, I make about $50/hr and the other $50 is for business expenses. And what most customers don't see or realize is the time I spend preparing for the next job. On top of all that, there's is the bookkeeper and tax preparer, who's my wife, and if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be in business. She seems to make things work out so we can keep most of that $50.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2024 at 02:54 PM.