Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Considering 2023 RT base vs 2023 RT Sea to Sky - is the S2S worth it?

I've gotten good end-of-model-year offers for both a 2023 silver RT base model and a 2023 green RT Sea to Sky, both brand new.

The main differences I can see are that the S2S has fancier seats, passenger heated grips, rider and passenger heated seats, self-leveling shocks, and a color matched top box.

Since I don't do a lot of touring, I'm trying to determine whether the S2S is worth the extra ~$4k.

My thoughts are:
    • I love the S2S green, but would be fine with the sparkly silver as well.
    • I can fit my full-face helmet in the frunk on the base RT, but previously had an F3 Limited Special Series and it was great to be able to fit two helmets in the top box.
    • I think the RT base looks a smidge sportier without the top box, but I could remove it from the S2S if I wanted to.
    • I enjoyed the self-leveling shocks on my F3LSS but it's prob more a want than a need.
    • I am not a big cold weather rider, but I live in CO so the heated seats would be a nice to have.

My questions are:
    • Are there things to know about the 2023 model year, plus or minus? The dealer also has a blue 2024 RT LTD but that's more expensive than the S2S (no promos), and with all the display issues on the 2024's, I'm not sure that is worth it.
    • I noticed that the S2S is a bit heavier; does the engine pull the extra weight well at highway speeds?
    • Am I missing anything else?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2024 at 01:18 PM. Reason: 2013 - 2023 ;-)

Spyder Garage

I have a 2024 RT Limited, so closer to the S2S. Heated seats are nice, my 2017 only had heated grips. I've had no display issues, other than the obvious lack of Apple CarPlay. My heated seats were wired backwards but that was an easy 30 second fix by swapping the cables. Other than the seat cable issue, mine's been flawless so far and I've got 600 miles on it.

2024 loses the external FM antenna, gets rid of the big "R" button on top of the left handgrip for going into reverse and moves the starter function, and the orange kill switch. I think the cruise control switch setup is new on the 2024s too; but couldn't swear to that. It's definitely nicer than what my 2017 had. Lots of little changes on the 2024, but obviously the bigger digital dash and Apple CarPlay are the biggies, I think. Whether that's worth the extra coin is up to you. I spent the money on the 2024 because of Apple CarPlay, so hopefully that gets enabled soon.

I don't find mine lacking in power on the highway, or anywhere else. I doubt the S2S weighs much more than the Limited.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2024 at 01:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

I was in your same situation last fall, when I was looking for a more touring oriented spyder versus my then current 2019 F3S. I'm a 100% solo rider, but I do take long trips, so a top case was a requirement. In my area (southern WI) there were great deals to be had on new, left over 2022 RT/RTL's. I strongly considered the RT, to which I could add a top case mount (Spyder Extras) and a large top case. I also wanted heated seats, but you can find nice RTL used take-offs for a decent price, or else go aftermarket. I was about to pull the trigger on a new 2022 petrol blue RT until I saw a new leftover 2022 RT S2S in mystery blue. I was hooked. I tracked a new leftover down locally and got a great price. No regrets. That said, if the cost is right, consider the RT. A top case is an easy add, heated seats are available, and the air shock can be manually adjusted quite easily.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2024 at 01:22 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I went with a 2024 RT Sea To Sky.

One of the things that surprised me when it was delivered was a flat box with a color matching cover for over the rear wheel.
    The top case is fairly easily removed if you don't need it, and then you install the cover so it would then look like an RT.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 Can-Am Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

FWIW, I have a '23 S2S and have no complaints.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2024 at 04:22 PM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I went with a 2021 RTL mainly because I came across the deal on it, and too late on the deal for a 2020 RT base (the base was priced below $15k). If you ride solo, the RT base should be fine. For me, the heated grips were almost a must, but the heated seat was definitely not a deal breaker. Manually adjusting the suspension is not a big deal. As for the added storage of the top case, you can easily get a givi box and add to the rear and possibly have more space. I added one to my 2016 F3L and have more space than in my case on the 2021 RTL (54L vs 47L). Good luck
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

It basically boils down to - if you can afford the extra $4k, get the S2S. If you can’t, get the base RT.

As you said, you then have the option to remove the top box in a couple of minutes if you prefer the sportier look (as I do), or put it back on for longer trips.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If I were doing it I would get the sea to sky. I have several times bought something because it was cheaper then had some accessories I later wanted so regretted not paying more and getting what I really wanted. I bought my 2024 RTL and glad I didn't go the cheaper route.

Spyder Garage

Well, you only live once, you might as well get what you want to start with.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

It's been said above, if you can afford it, get the Sea to Sky. The extras are nice.

I had an RTL on order and switched to a S2S, granted it was more than just wanting the upgrade, my delivery was delayed, but thats my story.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Thank you, everyone who’s responded. I appreciate all of your insights.

You’ve reminded me that the first day I ever looked at Can-Ams, I met a kind Spyder owner in the dealer parking lot who advised me to get the best one I could afford. I wasn’t knowledgeable enough at the time to know which model she had, but it was a beautiful green bagger with top box/backrest and custom pinstripes. The fact that the S2S I’m considering now is Green Shadow… kinda feels like kismet.

If I hadn’t needed more convincing, last night my husband rode for almost 4 hours on a Royal Enfield 411 in 40 degree weather. He enjoyed the first hour or so, but once the sun went down and the temp dropped, he started to regret his choice. He was an absolute popsicle when he got home, and I couldn’t help thinking he’d have been in much better shape with heated grips and a heated seat.

I’ve decided on the Sea to Sky for now. I say “for now” because I have to wait a few weeks to finish my deal and pick it up. I did put a good deposit down so they should still have it, but ya never know.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-28-2024 at 08:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikesister View Post

You’ve reminded me that the first day I ever looked at Can-Ams, I met a kind Spyder owner in the dealer parking lot who advised me to get the best one I could afford. I wasn’t knowledgeable enough at the time to know which model she had, but it was a beautiful green bagger with top box/backrest and custom pinstripes. The fact that the S2S I’m considering now is Green Shadow… kinda feels like kismet.

If I hadn’t needed more convincing, last night my husband rode for almost 4 hours on a Royal Enfield 411 in 40 degree weather. He enjoyed the first hour or so, but once the sun went down and the temp dropped, he started to regret his choice. He was an absolute popsicle when he got home, and I couldn’t help thinking he’d have been in much better shape with heated grips and a heated seat.

I’ve decided on the Sea to Sky for now. I say “for now” because I have to wait a few weeks to finish my deal and pick it up. I did put a good deposit down so they should still have it, but ya never know.
    Good for you, like I said get what now or you will regret it later.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-28-2024 at 08:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

I went with an RT Base over the Limited/S2S. For $4000, there wasn't enough pluses for me. The Base model came with heated grips, so I added a Shad top case and bought a new set of heated seats from a Limited rider who upgraded their seats to aftermarket seats. All for less than $1000. The saving went for more farkles and gas for long trips.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-28-2024 at 08:13 PM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikesister View Post

If the S2S is not available when you are ready to go, don’t discount the RT-L, Trikesister. Sure you don’t get the colour matched trunk and a couple of other very minor things, but you get all the bells and whistles of the S2S.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-28-2024 at 08:12 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    If the S2S is not available when you are ready to go, don’t discount the RT-L, Trikesister. Sure you don’t get the colour matched trunk and a couple of other very minor things, but you get all the bells and whistles of the S2S.

Pete
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

Pete
    For sure. The dealership did have a few lovely 2024 RTLs. They were priced slightly higher than the STS due to the lack of 2023 discount, but still worth considering.
    Last edited by trikesister; 03-30-2024 at 08:52 AM. Reason: I can’t spell today

Spyder Garage

As stated, if you can get what you want, just do it. $4K can be spent quickly or slowly as add-ons to get what you can get out of the box with the S2S. If you're particular to OEM, you'll probably spend more trying to get the same add-ons put on the base RT unless you get them from a private seller.
    The seat, the signature and aux lights(I think they come standard on the S2S), heated passenger grips, top case, luggage, frunk liner, extra speakers that come with the top case will definitely add up quickly.

You'll enjoy the ride of either though. Good luck on your potential S2S. Hopefully, they honor your deposit.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

This may be a little off the subject but. I know on the 2024 RT, the rear case can be removed, and a cover installed. Can the same be done to an F3 Limited?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-30-2024 at 10:48 AM.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    At that price if I were looking, I'd be all over that Sea-To-Sky
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Do yourself a favor and find out what their freight/prep-set up/document fees are.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    At that price if I were looking, I'd be all over that Sea-To-Sky
    No kidding. Hell of a deal!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Holy @#$*&, that price!

Spyder Garage

Get the 2024 S2S. It will have all the items you will need and wish you had gotten, esp with BRP and dealer techs not installing items correctly these days. Make sure everything works before signing off.

BTW Apple Car play is now out. Make the dealer install with BUDS2 and check it out.... several people have tried to do the OTA update only to have it fail and create issues whilst doing so.

YMMV
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-06-2024 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    Get the 2024 S2S. It will have all the items you will need and wish you had gotten, esp with BRP and dealer techs not installing items correctly these days. Make sure everything works before signing off.

BTW Apple Car play is now out. Make the dealer install with BUDS2 and check it out.... several people have tried to do the OTA update only to have it fail and create issues whilst doing so.

YMMV
    Thanks for the suggestion. CarPlay would indeed be nice to have. The 2024 S2S isn’t a great fit for me, partly because of the color. I love 2023’s Shadow Green (I think people either love it or hate it), and I’m not crazy about Vegas White Satin - although the brown trim on the seats is great. The biggest reason, though, is that the 2024 is ~$5,000 more than the lovely deal I’m getting on the 2023.

From your sig, looks like you have a green S2S. Is there anything about it you don’t love?