Spyder Garage

Spyder Is Purchasing a RT S 2015 with only 1,800 miles a good idea?

I found a deal around this model down here in Mexico, owner shared VIN Number and everything.
    Used to be the owner of an RS and then an ST, but when I moved back to Mexico, I had to leave them behind.
    What do you think are some of the risks associated with a Spyder that has been stationary that long? Battery and Oil come to mind, anything else?
    And do you know if I can get some dealer to run the number for me to check on recalls or services to it? Dealers in Mexico are way different and harder to come by to do this kind of check, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2024 at 01:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Tires and fuel system issues would concern me. Make sure it starts and runs well and replace the tires. If possible take it for a ride and make sure it gets up to speed and idles well when it reaches operating temperature. This will reveal any fueling issues and also let you know if there are any fault codes that pop up. I wouldn't be afraid to buy it, but I would do what I described above.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I'd be fine with it at a good price. Yes, fluids for sure, including coolant and oil. Oil should have already had the initial service done under a 1000 miles, then the next at 9300 miles. Call a dealer to check if a front sprocket recall has been done OR if it still needs to be done according to VIN#. Any dealer should be able to find out this information, so if you have to call around the country (either country), do so. In your case, the sprocket needs to be examined for telltale signs of abnormal wear by a dealer. If they find abnormal wear, they are obliged to keep it until the new part arrives... at 1800 miles it likely won't show so just call to see if it's been done, don't take it in. Tires age, so be prepared to think about replacing the 9y/o tires. Sure, ride the tires a bit but start shopping. I wouldn't bother with the tranny filter ($130) until 28,000 miles. The fuel filter ($5-$10) is located on the RH side and is not too bad DIY... plenty of YouTube videos. You will find the RT 1330 quite a bit different than your 2 previous models... but with a bit less maintenance and better mpg. I hope you snag it! Battery as well! Put a tender on it!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2024 at 01:44 PM.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You can also check by the VIN number for any & all recalls at NHTSA, and it will also tell you if that VIN# has had the specific repairs done.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/campaign/safercargov
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My concern wouldn't be so much about the condition of the Spyder, Mexico is probably quite a bit drier than most area's .... but the fact that's it in Mexico I think could be a major problem ..... JMHO ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2024 at 01:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

They seem to have a website dedicated to Mexico sales (https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/mx/es), and there is a FB group with 2,700 members for Spyder owners in Mexico.

Tourist areas have jet skis and ATVs, so Can-Am has at least some meaningful presence.

Mexico has varying climates, just like the US.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure the fuel in the tank has long since expired. Take a sniff.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Might want to check the vin in databases like this:
    https://www.stolenmotorcyclehelp.com/
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I guess it would depend on how much you like to turn wrenches! It's a 9-year-old machine that, that supposably hasn't been ridden much. My experience with buying old stuff that sat around is the seals and everything else take a beating when put back on the road. You maybe be lucky and come out of it in good shape. But is it worth the chance? Just be prepared for the worst and hope for the best! Good luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl