Spyder Garage

Default Comparison between new LS2 Advent X and 509 Delta Ignite Helmets

I just received my new LS2 Advent X modular helmet and decided to compare it to my 2 year old 509 Delta Ignite full face helmet which is more suited to cold weather(winter) riding.

LS2 257 Modular 901-1035 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 509 Ignite full face helmet F01003301
    Wt: 3.9 lbs - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- - - - - - - - - - 3.9 lbs, includes breath deflector and chin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - curtain; it would be slightly lighter if those were removed
    Certification: ECE 2206, DOT FMVSS 218 manufactured date 12/23 China - - - - - - - ECE 2205 manufactured date 8/21 China
    Lens: Clear, pinlock FF901 incl as well as light smoke tint outer lens - - - - - - - - - - - Heated clear lens with cord for connection (less
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - peripheral view because of heated element)
    Inner shield: light smoke tint (good for bright sunny days) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Yellow/orange tint (better for low visibilty conditions)
    1/2" wider (due to the lower module being able to move over and back) - - - - - - - - - 3/4" longer
    Fastener: ratchet type (two handed operation with trial and error, no gloves) - - - - - - Magnetic type (two handed
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - operation with trial and error,
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - no gloves)

General:
    Both lenses snap down to seal the front facial area, the upper lens tab for the LS2 is on top not on the side and will take some getting used to.
    Both of the internal visors are operated by a similar slide assembly on the side of the helmet.
    Although both helmets are an XL, the full face (509) fits looser on the head and moves just a bit with side to side or head movement. I can wear the 509 with a balaclava if I need to, the LS2 would be too tight. The LS2 is easier to put on or take off with the front jaw protector up out of the way.
    The LS2 has a snug fit with no movement. It has a thicker inner pad that I can feel all over much like a liner that could be aired up. I hope the padding relaxes a bit as the firm fit could be uncomfortable over a long ride, so I am wearing it around the house to see if it relaxes a bit.
    The 509 has forehead vents (2) that provide decent air flow but no chin vent. The LS2 has a large forehead vent, chin vent and a vent closure at the back to reduce air flow. I hope that the venting is sufficient when riding in hot weather, considering that the LS2 fits more snugly.
    The 509 prevents lens fogging if you open the front shield just a bit and I have never used the heated element even in winter, the LS2 should be the same.
    The 509 is quieter than open face helmets but I expect the LS2 to be quieter yet, as the fit around the lower part of the head is much tighter but not restricted in the ear area.

I do not expect to use the extra tinted outer lens or the pinlock antifog lens that were included in the package. Both helmets came with a soft helmet bag for protection but the LS2 also included an outer helmet bag with zippers and back straps to allow you to carry the helmet on your back or perhaps carry a second helmet on a 2-up machine. Neither helmet will fit in the Shad bags.

I do not use a communicator so neither has one installed.

The weight that I found for the LS2 in the large shell is 1600 grams +/- 50 grams and the actual weight on a new digital food scale is 1776 grams/3.9 lbs. The Carbon X is supposed to be about 130 grams/5 oz. lighter but I did not buy it because of the extra $100 CDN; and because I ordered online from a supplier in Quebec, I was unable to try either; no local shops seemed to carry the LS2. Given hindsight and the fact that my neck doesn't like a heavy helmet, I would probably have bought the Carbon X.

I will update the feel at highway speed as well as the wind noise in a couple of weeks once the snow disappears. Hopefully the pictures will show the similarity/difference between the two.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-25-2024 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Tried to fix the table display... It's better, but not much; not yet, anyway! :-/

Spyder Garage

I have the LS2 Advent-X with the LS2 Cardo unit installed. Have about 3k miles on it. I did install the pinlock liner (free with unit) and have zero fogging issues. Overall, I love the helmet. One thing I have noticed though, is that the top vent is basically blocked if you have the outer visor up. With the RT-L windshield keeping the wind off your face pretty well, you don't get much airflow inside the helmet. Mine is black, and I worry a bit about the Texas summer coming up. I also finding myself manually "re-tucking" the chin padding back away from my jawline every once in a while to ease some of the pressure there for me.

Chinese sizing. I got an XL, and am a small-to-normal guy. I sometimes wonder if 2XL would have been better. It's never "sore" but is a pretty snug fit.
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Spyder Garage

The weather was nice on Monday so I took the LS2 helmet for a 100 mile/160 km. highway trip, windy with temp ranging from 60-65 F (15-18C). The helmet was comfortable with better peripheral vision than the 509 and slightly quieter with almost no wind noise. The helmet was stable at speed (60-90 mph/100 -145 kph) with no additional side push when I turned my head sideways to shoulder check etc. For now its a keeper. I have about 8 hours of wearing the helmet around the house and it is feeling more comfortable and not quite as tight.

I have included a picture of my 509 Evolution (July 2013, now 11 years old) carbon fibre, open face helmet with 509 goggles. This helmet was used for mountain sledding and quadding. It weighs 2.9 lb./1.3 kg with the goggles and is noticeably lighter. It has ECE 22.05 and DOT FMVSS No. 218 certified. This helmet would work well without the visor.

I have a tall winsdhield on my 22 F3S and look over the top of it but the wind and rain are deflected just over top of the helmet, you can feel the air flow with a bare hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Nice looking helmets--both.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red