Spyder Garage

Default There seems to be an abundance of 2019 RT's selling - what gives?

Hi all,

There seem to be a lot of low mileage 2019 RTs on the market.
    Are people giving them up because of the newer models, or was there some issue with this model year?

I've looked around here and elsewhere, and I don't see a lot of issues outside "the red dust of death", and possibly the casting issues with the blocks that some have said are behind oil leaks.
    So what gives?

Y
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2024 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

BRP just did the sprocket recall on my used 2018 I had just bought. The 2018 and 2019 both have the full digital dash, which I like, as I have two 2018's. The 2019 RTL Chrome have one of best looking OEM front wheels of all years and models of Spyders.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

What's different about the new sprocket?
    I'm considering a new Spyder and looking at a used 2019 RT Limited with ~13000 miles for $16k and a new 2024 plain old RT for ~$24k.

Spyder Garage

The 2014-2019's were a very good run. Personally, I like the styling on the 2020-2024 much better, and it has a slightly more aggressive ride, but they aren't all that different. 13K miles is't a big deal at all, although you can easily spend a few dollars getting new tires in the not too distant future. At 2/3 the cost for a Limited, the 2019 sounds to me like the better choice if you plan to ride at or under 10K per year, but if you plan on heavy riding and long trips, then I'm generally a fan of new.

It may help to see a service record, and to find out what you can about why it's for sale. If you can, have it checked out.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y-me View Post
    What's different about the new sprocket?
    I'm considering a new Spyder and looking at a used 2019 RT Limited with ~13000 miles for $16k and a new 2024 plain old RT for ~$24k.
    Not suppose to wear like the OEM one. That's a fair price for the 2019, especially if it is the chrome verses the dark model.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

2019 isn't bad, but being that we're in 2024, I'd personally go for the newer model if it's in my budget. 13K miles really is low. That's averaging less than 5K miles per year.
    I do believe there are major differences in storage if you go with the RT Limited. The top case is better(in my opinion) on the newer RTs. The seat is also a little better(to me) from just sitting on a 2019 vs 20+. The 20+ feels a little roomier for 2 riders.
    If warranty is a concern, newer is likely to have some warranty left or the extended B.E.S.T. warrant as an available add on.
    As for appearance, I like the 20+ especially with the LED headlights, signature lights, etc. It looks more modern with a front that resembles a small sports car.
    The 2019s look like they could've been a character in that Disney movie Cars .
    Also, I think the 2019s have a rider adjustable "air suspension". I might be mistaken on the year for that. The 20+(Limited) are auto inflating and the base RT can be adjusted using a pump.
    I believe the things that make them go and stop are practically the same.
    I got a really good deal on mine in 2020 though. So, I decided against a 2019.
    I'm not a wrench turner, but I believe I've read a few posts that mentions working on the pre 20+ models are simpler(less plastic to move and such).
    Overall, I think you'd enjoy riding either generation.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    2019 isn't bad, but being that we're in 2024, I'd personally go for the newer model if it's in my budget. 13K miles really is low. That's averaging less than 5K miles per year.
    I do believe there are major differences in storage if you go with the RT Limited. The top case is better(in my opinion) on the newer RTs. The seat is also a little better(to me) from just sitting on a 2019 vs 20+. The 20+ feels a little roomier for 2 riders.
    If warranty is a concern, newer is likely to have some warranty left or the extended B.E.S.T. warrant as an available add on.
    As for appearance, I like the 20+ especially with the LED headlights, signature lights, etc. It looks more modern with a front that resembles a small sports car.
    The 2019s look like they could've been a character in that Disney movie Cars .
    Also, I think the 2019s have a rider adjustable "air suspension".
    I might be mistaken on the year for that. The 20+(Limited) are auto inflating and the base RT can be adjusted using a pump.
    The top case on the 2019- spyders is part of the trike and does not look like an add on stuck there. The 2018 and 2019 RTL has the auto leveling rear suspension. Not sure which year that started however.

Brake pedal is in a better location on the 2019- models. I took my trike class on a 2020 and had been riding the 2018 a bit before. So yes I have ridened both.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 03-24-2024 at 09:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, the floorboards are different as well.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

As my signature line shows, we have a 2017 RT-S, a leftover bought new in the crate in July 2018. It has been a stellar performer with minimal problems, parking brake motor replaced under warranty early on, and a camshaft positioning sensor last year. Oh, and water in the gas recently, although certainly not the Spyder's fault. I consiously did not want the new for 2018 dash, if for no other reason that I don't typically don't buy anything with first year tecnology. And given the problems BRP had with it, and the ongoing issues even now, it was a good choice for me. So this will be last the bike for us, and I'm happy with that.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    The top case on the 2019- spyders is part of the trike and does not look like an add on stuck there. The 2018 and 2019 RTL has the auto leveling rear suspension. Not sure which year that started however.
    I find the design of the 2020+ much more elegant than the earlier models and the much larger top case looks just right to my eyes (and it can be changed out for other options). The 2020+ feels more like a motorcycle, and less like a snowmobile in design, again, to my eyes. The auto leveling suspension goes back to at least 2014.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I had a 2019 that I bought used. It was a nice bike but the 2023 that we now have is in my opinion a better machine. It rides better with less vibration at 80 mph. The oil changes are much easier since it has a smaller removable side pod to access the oil filter. It also seems more comfortable to ride and less stressful on my upper back.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I find the design of the 2020+ much more elegant than the earlier models and the much larger top case looks just right to my eyes (and it can be changed out for other options). The 2020+ feels more like a motorcycle, and less like a snowmobile in design, again, to my eyes. The auto leveling suspension goes back to at least 2014.
    My 2017 had an adjustment for how soft or firm you wanted the air suspension to be. It auto maintained it at that level. Seems like the 2024s are self-leveling but see no way to adjust how soft or firm it is anymore.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-25-2024 at 06:17 PM. Reason: now... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
    My 2017 had an adjustment for how soft or firm you wanted the air suspension to be. It auto maintained it at that level. Seems like the 2024s are self-leveling but see no way to adjust how soft or firm it is anymore.
    Starting in 2018 they are completely automagically leveled.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-25-2024 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

My wife rides a 2019 Spyder RT Limited Dark Edition. I work on all Spyders and Rykers as a hobby gig. Nothing wrong with the 2nd Gen RTs. I still like that style better than the 3rd Gen RTs (2020+). I like the ergonomics better in the 3rd Gen but the looks better in the 2nd. We've got 28k trouble free miles on the 2019 and are quite happy with it.

That said, many like the looks of the 3rd Gen -and the ergonomics are much better - so I think several are selling 2nd Gen and moving to 3rd because of it. The larger boards and slightly lower seat height is nice - addressing the comfort issues I personally have with the older RT.

Personally - I'm an F3 (Sport) guy through and through - but for the RT folks - you can't go wrong with the 2nd or 3rd gens.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    The auto leveling suspension goes back to at least 2014.
    I don't think auto leveling began until 2018. I do know that in 2014 you could set it for harder or softer. I wish that was the case for my 2021. It would be nice to firm it up a little when wanting to ride more agressively when going solo. I have had a 2014 RT and currently have a 2021 RTL. To me, I think the quality was better on the 2014, but the looks and ability to remove the trunk from the 2020+ was a decision maker for me. I hated the attached trunk on the 2019 and earlier models. That is the main reason I went with a 2016 F3T when they came out.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I don't think auto leveling began until 2018. I do know that in 2014 you could set it for harder or softer. I wish that was the case for my 2021.
    My 2013 plain ole RT had harder or softer options for the rear using a Schrader valve and your very own compressor. Though they offered an onboard compressor option so that you could change it up from the seat.

Spyder Garage

I dun did it and went with the 2019.
    Maybe some of you will see the Great Pumpkin if you frequent SpyderQuest or Rockland or Orange counties in NY.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Starting in 2018 they are completely automagically leveled.
    "Automagically"
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y-me View Post
    I dun did it and went with the 2019.
    Maybe some of you will see the Great Pumpkin if you frequent SpyderQuest or Rockland or Orange counties in NY.
    Congrats!
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

All RTS and Limited models from 2010 to current had self leveling systems. In 2018 BRP removed button to stiffen or soften the ride. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles