Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I buy my lids from the Netherlands because they are cheaper and I can get a ratchet strap instead of D-rings. I suppose IF I get pulled over by LEO for speeding, they can tack on the non-DOT lid if they're A$$holes.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Every helmet I know of that is sold in the US that has the ECE sticker, is also DOT approved. I'm told there may be some that are ECE and not DOT. But I have not been able to confirm this. Where you might (slim to none) get into trouble will be with a helmet purchased outside the US. Since there is no need or purpose to get DOT approval outside the US. And it costs money to do so, why bother? At that point, it's just a worthless sticker.

To pass ECE the helmet has to be built to a standard that will also meet DOT. So, it makes sense.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I buy my lids from the Netherlands because they are cheaper and I can get a ratchet strap instead of D-rings. I suppose IF I get pulled over by LEO for speeding, they can tack on the non-DOT lid if they're A$$holes.
    Generally, it's the speeding A$$hole that causes the LEO to become an A$$hole. That's what I've been told anyway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Every helmet I know of that is sold in the US that has the ECE sticker, is also DOT approved. I'm told there may be some that are ECE and not DOT. But I have not been able to confirm this. Where you might (slim to none) get into trouble will be with a helmet purchased outside the US. Since there is no need or purpose to get DOT approval outside the US. And it costs money to do so, why bother? At that point, it's just a worthless sticker.

To pass ECE the helmet has to be built to a standard that will also meet DOT. So, it makes sense.
    I can't find it to post it now but sometime back I saw an illustration and breakdown of recorded head injuries from M/C accidents. The number one contact point and injury to the head was the chin. The chin by far outnumbered all other contact points, IE; back of the head top of the head, and so on. After knowing this I'm astounded to see how many people still use open-face helmets thinking they are fully protected. My wife and I wear full face helmets with a retractable chin guard. When I bought our helmets the only ones available at the time were in Europe. Now that same helmet is being sold here in the USA. They were only ECE so now they are DOT also.

Spyder Garage

My Shoei Neotec II I just bought has the Ratchet strap, much nicer than the D-Ring set-up that's for sure
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

I am all for getting a deal. But I would rather support my local dealers.
    If you got a good local guy. Buy from him even if it costs more.
    If not he might not be there anymore.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I am all for getting a deal. But I would rather support my local dealers.
    If you got a good local guy. Buy from him even if it costs more.
    If not he might not be there anymore.
    I agree - in general. But when a D-ring lid costs $650 in the US and the same lid with ratchet strap is $400 delivered from off-shore dealers, I'm willing to wait an extra week!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree - in general. But when a D-ring lid costs $650 in the US and the same lid with ratchet strap is $400 delivered from off-shore dealers, I'm willing to wait an extra week!
    I agree also. It's just MHO that certain businesses are taking advantage of inflation to increase their profits under the guise of inflation. I have a small business and I've kept my prices fairly close to prepandemic levels and I can still make decent money.