Spyder Garage

Cool Chrome or Blacked-out - am I the only one who likes Chrome??

Just curious if I am the only one that likes chrome? I have an older RT, so on some days I daydream about getting a newer model. I have to look at 2014 and up RT's, because of my budget. It appears that about 70-80% are the Dark Edition and if I would bite the bullet even on a used unit, I would look 'til I find what I want; and for me personally, I don't want the Dark Edition. I think it is because I grew up in an era when we had to make do with black because we couldn't afford the chrome. And so there won't be any misunderstanding, I love you guys who like the blacked-out units. Whatever rings your bell.
    Leon
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2024 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question; Cap's & ' 's ... ;-)
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

I don't particularly like chrome. I live in the desert and the sun shining off chrome is terrible. Therefore, I like blacked out. Each to his own and there ain't nothing wrong with whatever way you want. It's your machine.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2024 at 07:18 PM.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Chrome for me................. the more the better.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I like my chrome edition; they don't offer it any more, the platine version is the "other than black" option, ICK! IMHO, it looks like a cheesey champagne metallic paint and I'll pass. It's a cheap alternative to chrome and makes an RTL less exspensive to produce; "less for more" seems to be the mantra for manufacturers nowadays!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2024 at 07:19 PM.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

I'm a chrome guy, too. I have the "Dark" 2020 RTL and added a little. When I bought mine, I didn't like the chrome wheels, so I just improvised.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Copperman; 03-16-2024 at 08:24 PM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I'm a chrome guy, too. I have the "Dark" 2020 RTL and added a little. When I bought mine, I didn't like the chrome wheels, so I just improvised.
    I will match you and rise you a couple chrome pieces.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Love my 2019 rtl chrome
    Last edited by sandylolee; 03-16-2024 at 09:16 PM.
    2019 Rt limited chrome , Phoenix orange

Spyder Garage

Here in the UK, from later this year, chrome plating is being banned. Even imported items or whole bikes or anything else must comply (except aviation). Guess we will be going back to the dark ages.
    Alan.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2024 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    Here in the UK, from later this year, chrome plating is being banned. Even imported items or whole bikes or anything else must comply (except aviation). Guess we will be going back to the dark ages.
    Alan.
    Next thing we know, we can get any color we want, so long as it's black........ CBS Peacock will be devoid of color (all black); Dupont will save millions on a one-color paint chart........
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2024 at 01:24 AM.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    BTW, I think those are the best looking chrome wheels that Can Am ever put on a Spyder. If they were not so expensive I would have gone with those vs the PPA wheels I now have on the Asphalt Grey one.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    Alan.
    The British have always been a bit dull!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2024 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    The British have always been a bit dull!
    A low blow, but it's funny.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2024 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

I like chrome. The guys at the shop tell me Chrome is Old School. I tell them that everything runs in cycles and comes back around (though I hope purple hair isn't in that loop). Chrome will be back at some point in the future. So, rather than being 'Old School'. Chrome lovers are simply ahead of their times!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I like chrome, also. I went to local dealer yesterday and the new chrome is brushed aluminum. Cheap looking. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

in 2020 and 2021 we both got good deals on Limited Edition F3's. I went for the chrome and she went for the black. Usually, the LTD package is a couple $K extra. I good a good deal, so the chrome came for free for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I like chrome. I have added some chrome additions to my '17 RTL Chrome Edition
    If I decide to upgrade, I guess I will just have to adapt to the new chrome... ��
    I do like the new white '24 Sea to Sky with the mocha wheels and accents.
    I could live with that. ��
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2024 at 01:28 AM.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I never have liked chrome, can't give a reason why. Just doesn't appeal to me.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I never have liked chrome, can't give a reason why. Just doesn't appeal to me.
    Nothing wrong with that. Afterall, the manufactures need someone to sell all this black stuff to!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I hate black wheels!

SO, my dark 2018 is getting chrome stuff, and got the shinny muffler heat shield also.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 03-18-2024 at 12:26 PM.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have been thinking about getting my wheels dipped with a Metallic blue color.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I think the Platine (strange name, they should have gone with Platinum or Chrome) version looks great, but I'm not willing to cough up the extra $1500 for it. I did, however, order mirror covers that are silver rather than black because that part of the look and some degree of enhanced visibility is worth it to me. They should be at the dealer this week. Still no date on when the bike will show up.

Spyder Garage

I prefer the blacked-out look, but there is nothing wrong with the chrome look.
    It can be very attractive but requires more effort to keep it clean and shiny.
    It's just a matter of personal preference.
    You say potato, I say potato................
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I’m old school…..still love my chrome. That’ s not to say I haven’t seen quite a few blacked out bikes that catch my eye.

2014 Can Am Spyder RTL Chrome Edition

Led Headlights & Fog Lights
    Frunk Organizer
    Rear Trunk Organizer
    Painted Windshield Bracket Black with Chrome Spyder
    Leather Like Foam Hand Grips
    Handlebar Weights
    Plug N' Play Brake Light Flasher / Modulator Kit
    Trunk Mounted Run, Brake & Turn Signal LED Light Kit
    USB/Volt Meter
    2 - Airhawk - R-REVB Cruiser Motorcycle Seat Cushions
    Led Undercarriage Lights
    Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal
    Show Chrome - Chrome Handlebar Cover
    UltraGard Essential Half Cover
    Polished Stainless Steel License Plate Frame
    KEMIMOTO Motorcycle Bottle Holder
    Bluetooth 5.0 FM Transmitter
    Hopnel Trunk and Saddlebag Cargo Net System
    TackForm Center Mount Phone Holder
    Trunk Mount Dual Flag Holder
    High Way Pegs
    Baldwin Ironworks Cat By-pass
    K & N Air Filter
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts

Kenda Kanine Tires

Originally from Medina, Ohio
    Currently living in The Villages, Florida

Spyder Garage

Ours is a 2014 chrome edition. The only thing I don't like about is the stupid design of the trunk.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
    Just curious if I am the only one that likes chrome? I have an older RT, so on some days I daydream about getting a newer model. I have to look at 2014 and up RT's, because of my budget. It appears that about 70-80% are the Dark Edition and if I would bite the bullet even on a used unit, I would look 'til I find what I want; and for me personally, I don't want the Dark Edition. I think it is because I grew up in an era when we had to make do with black because we couldn't afford the chrome. And so there won't be any misunderstanding, I love you guys who like the blacked-out units. Whatever rings your bell.
    Leon
    I ordered the Chrome just for the wheels alone ! I think the little bit of Chrome that comes in the package looks great. I have the red and black and all three goes nice together.