Spyder Garage

Default Limp mode and engine stalling, Codes P1172 & P1175 - any ideas?

Had a beautiful day to go riding, so off I went.

Stopped for gas about 30 miles away from home. The bike ran perfectly until about the last ten miles. Then, it felt like it was trying to shift between 4th and 5th because the engine started surging, Next, the Limp Mode light came on and the engine became more erratic.

The bike stalled on me about 5-6 times before arriving home, in between running ok for a few minutes at a time. The Limp Mode light kept randomly popping on and off.

Pulled two codes when I got home. P1172 and P1175. Looked them up but still puzzled about why all of this happened so suddenly.

Bad gas or something else? Vacuum hoses have previously been replaced with silicone ones and the crankshaft position sensor has also been replaced once.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-14-2024 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately Possibly bad gas & or weak pump, sadly no resolution found yet, however not suffering limp mode
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...k-engine-light maybe something additional?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If you can keep it running, I would try running a couple of tanks of injector cleaner thru it. You may have some water in there, or an injector getting plugged up. I had it happen to me one time, on a start of a ride, stop for gas and went down the road after, lucky going by the house at the time, and it was running like crap, swung in the house and put a little Heat in the tank, and grabbed and bottle of Seafoam, put a shot of that in also, then put the rest in at my next tank full and I was as good as new by the time I was back home. Good luck!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-15-2024 at 07:54 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If you can keep it running, I would try running a couple of tanks of injector cleaner thru it. You may have some water in there, or an injector getting plugged up. I had it happen to me one time, on a start of a ride, stop for gas and went down the road after, lucky going by the house at the time, and it was running like crap, swung in the house and put a little Heat in the tank, and grabbed and bottle of Seafoam, put a shot of that in also, then put the rest in at my next tank full and I was as good as new by the time I was back home. Good luck!!!
    .... mostly .... on the container it's spelled ...." HEET " and that's the original ....water remover & will be cheaper than any of the new-fangled stuff ..... I used it a lot in Snow-mobiles .....it works .... Mike

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So, System Too Rich on both the front and rear cylinders at the same time. Doesn't happen very often. Usually it's a lean issue, not a rich issue with this thing. Did you pull those codes while the motor was running? If not, do that so that you get a picture of the code situation in real time and that you get the same ones consistantly.

Look for the common thread for both cylinders if that is confirmed. Seafoam / HEET as Mikey mentioned, or you might have to get rid of that tank of gas. Appears that it ran good for the first 20 miles after you got the gas, then poof. Gas station operators don't always sump their tanks the way that they should.

Otherwise, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, filters, engine air intake system. I suppose if both channels of the MAP sensor went belly up, that could do it, too, but you should get a MAP sensor HI/LO code if that happened. Check your vacuum hoses to it though, to make sure they didn't slip off of the sensor. Start with the easy stuff.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Added some HEET and Seafoam to the tank this morning. Battery terminals checked for tightness and security.

Pulled the left side panels off later today. Found the silicone vacuum hose to the rear cylinder completely off the nipple fitting. The front hose was still in place. Re-attached the rear one and started it up but it kept stalling after running about a minute, however, the LIMP screen did not appear as it did yesterday. After about 10 more starting attempts, the erratic idle began to settle down (it had been surging between 1100-1700 rpm), and the bike ran at idle for about 30 minutes without issue.

I’ll recheck it again tomorrow. Hopefully, maybe the computer had to reset or “relearn” the idle parameters - haha, just wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks all for your comments so far.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Actually Yes, the fuel trim setting DID have to re-adjust once you reconnected the hose, and the additives can help, too. Go back and check on what size ID hose that you used when you replaced the hoses previously. Anything larger than 3mm ID is too large. That’s why it would come off even under vacuum. 3mm available from Summit Racing...or PM me and I'll send you two cut to length.

What about codes? Are they cleared now?
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 03-15-2024 at 06:13 PM.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I'll recheck for the codes tomorrow. Was getting late and the cats had to be fed and I needed a beer, etc.

The silicone tubing was supposedly the proper diameter sent to me by another member here some time ago. I also had ordered some myself from another source, so I have plenty. Thanks for the offer.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Might need a small zip tie on hose end no not supposed to come off easily especially self restrained by barb & vacuum, but crazy things do happen.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

yep zip ties for the win. Silicone is slippery than rubber.
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Ran the engine for about 40 minutes this morning. Idle stayed steady, no stalling and no codes were present. Hoping the disconnected vacuum hose was the issue. Yes, zip ties may be a good idea.

Thanks all for you input.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    Ran the engine for about 40 minutes this morning. Idle stayed steady, no stalling and no codes were present. Hoping the disconnected vacuum hose was the issue. Yes, zip ties may be a good idea.

Thanks all for you input.
    Thank YOU for following up. Get out there and RUN it. Watch out for deer.

Doug

Spyder Garage

Or a tighter hose!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Did a two hour ride this afternoon and everything ran well and no codes popped up.

Thanks again!
    2014 ST-S Cognac