Spyder Garage

Default Is it OK to adjust belt with rear wheel off the ground, in gear, & running?

Hi, read lots of threads on this subject, and would like to know if it's acceptable to adjust the belt tension and tracking on my 2013 RT Ltd SE5 whilst having the bike in gear and the rear wheel off the ground. I've read that this method might set off dashboard warning lights. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks, David.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2024 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Tracking is no problem. Tension can also be adjusted that way, but you’ll want to set it about 10 - 15 pounds looser than your goal, then lower bike to the ground and recheck. Adjust as necessary from there.
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey David. Yes, it may set off warning lights, but after you put all 3 wheels back on the ground and start riding, they will clear themselves.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I have set the tracking this way several times and it works fine. Tension I have left to the dealer as I had to get a new belt at the end of last season.
    Just remember to secure the Spyder while you work on it!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2024 at 09:34 AM.
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRT View Post
    I have set the tracking this way several times and it works fine. Tension I have left to the dealer as I had to get a new belt at the end of last season.
    Just remember to secure the Spyder while you work on it!
    I am a bit surprised. Tension and tracking are 2 sides of the same coin. One always affects the other. With the price of a Krikit II to check tension, I'm not sure why you would take this approach.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The reading you get will be different if the wheel is off the ground or ....on the ground ..... However the difference will remain the same...... I always do mine ON-THE-GROUND @ 160+/- .... ( which I believe is 150 lbs. OFF-THE-GROUND ). IMHO the less pressure on the BEARINGS the better..... Back in 08/09 BRP learned they were using way to much pressure on the belt and were having quite a few BEARING failures. .....So they lowered it and the issue stopped .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I am a bit surprised. Tension and tracking are 2 sides of the same coin. One always affects the other. With the price of a Krikit II to check tension, I'm not sure why you would take this approach.
    Well, I have never had a tension tool of any kind, but sitting behind the bike and adjust tracking is easy. When I replaced the drivebelt last season I took the RT to the dealer for service and had them do a proper belt tension for the new belt.
    All the other times I have fidddled with the tracking, I have just assumed it was ok, but never realy had it checked.
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Well, I have never had a tension tool of any kind, but sitting behind the bike and adjust tracking is easy. When I replaced the drivebelt last season I took the RT to the dealer for service and had them do a proper belt tension for the new belt.
    All the other times I have fidddled with the tracking, I have just assumed it was ok, but never realy had it checked.
    I would not run a belt very long after such an adjustment without getting the tension checked. The Krikit II tension gauge is very inexpensive and easy to use. A lot cheaper than a new belt or wheel bearings.

Spyder Garage

I would not run a belt very long after such an adjustment without getting the tension checked. The Krikit II tension gauge is very inexpensive and easy to use. A lot cheaper than a new belt or wheel bearings.
    I will make a stop by your webshop and order one, if not my local dealer has one in stock.
    As for my previous belt, it lasted allmost 12 years. I was probably just lucky
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

I will make a stop by your webshop and order one, if not my local dealer has one in stock.
    As for my previous belt, it lasted allmost 12 years. I was probably just lucky
    Make it easy on yourself. If you can get one for less locally, I would go that route. You don't have to get it from me. But I'm glad you're doing it. I think you will be much better off when able to take the tension reading yourself.

Spyder Garage

As already mentioned, you will trip fault light and code. This goes away on its own during a short ride.

My own experience, in the past I have tried to accomplish belt adjustments with the Spyder rear wheel raised and rotating under the engines power. I was never able to get an acceptable tracking tightening the axle with the wheel raised.

My technique is one where with the rear wheel raised I set the belt tension. I rough in the belt tracking.

The Spyder is lowered. Axle tightened, followed by checking belt tracking. Once set, I never alter the tension. If the belt requires additional tracking adjustments, that is accomplished with the weight on wheels.

Unfortunately, the Spyders less than stellar axle adjusters complicate the task, by shifting as torque is applied to the axle nut.

All the best with it, not difficult, just frustrating.

Also, if the rear driven pulley has any miles on it, sometimes the belt likes to just ride in the area it has been. Therefore a small adjustment may obtain no change, followed by a second small adjustment that moves the belt a lot.
    Last edited by PMK; 05-09-2024 at 12:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

We adjust with the wheel off the ground, rear tire raised with the axle tight but just loose enough so that the tension adjusters can still move the axle rearward. We only adjust rearward. If we need to go the other direction we loosen the axle, move it forward, retighten it and start over. That way when you tighten the axle, nothing changes. If the axle is loose at all, just tightening the axle nut will change both alignment and, to a lesser degree, tension.

Spyder Garage

We adjust with the wheel off the ground, rear tire raised with the axle tight but just loose enough so that the tension adjusters can still move the axle rearward. We only adjust rearward. If we need to go the other direction we loosen the axle, move it forward, retighten it and start over. That way when you tighten the axle, nothing changes. If the axle is loose at all, just tightening the axle nut will change both alignment and, to a lesser degree, tension.
    Exactly what I tried previously and the result I had hoped for. Unfortunately, results were never great. Glad it works for you folks in your shop.

On race bikes, actually all the two wheel toys, wheels and suspension pivots are tightened with weight on wheels.
    A machine raised in the air may not fully seat the two items under droop. Apply weight on wheels and all items are settled as they should be during use. No chance for a clearance or wheel to shift, and alter adjustments unintentionally.

But again, glad it works for you.

Spyder Garage

Many thanks for all the advice and suggestions, really appreciated, David