Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drgw222 View Post
    Here is an update. I loosened the bolt with a T27 torx key. It came in at an angle but got the screw started. The screw is a 6 mm with an 8mm hex head and a T30. The connector had oil in it. I ordered a replacement which had too small a hole for the 6mm screw. But while I had the new one, I weighed it and the unit I removed from the Spyder. One I took out was 30.3 grams, and the incorrect replacement was 26.3 g. I doubt there was 4 g of oil in the sensor?? Anyway, I cleaned the contacts on the one I removed and put it back in. The Spyder runs fine so far. Screen showed the P0340 and P0000. After a ride, both fault codes disappeared. I just received another replacement from China and it looks to be all one-piece plastic, while the one I took out looked to have a metal body for part of it. Perhaps the all-plastic will not leak?

It is difficult to find magnetic susceptibility for motor oil because it depends on additives among other things. However, oil has virtually no effect on magnetic fields, which is probably how the sensor works. But oil is not conductive either, so I am surprised that oil on the contacts would be a problem either.
    What were the first indications of a CPS problem and did it stop normal operation of the bike? Where is the sensor located on your bike and what panels need to be removed to clearly see the part? Did you check for a BRP replacement part? What is the info on the China part you found that fits and where did you order it? Thanks

Spyder Garage

When my CPS failed I got the dreaded Limp Home message. in checking for codes it was the same P0340. In checking with Can-Am Partshouse it stated that the part number was changed to a new part number. I called the dealer and after they read back the part number and it was the new number I had them order it and in came in about 2 weeks. It was the new one piece plastic. The one that failed was made in Mexico and don't remember the nationality of the new one. This happened in August 2023 when the RTL had 34,000 miles on it. I was able to ride it about 50 miles to get it back home. The bike seemed a little sluggish and I did not push it.
    Last edited by jjc54; 04-26-2024 at 01:04 PM. Reason: mistake on the year
    2016 Spyder RTL SE6