Spyder Garage

Default When did you replace your belt tensioner Roller?

Coming up on 15K shortly and thinking ahead about when to change the roller. What is general opinion when to do this?

Have to order some other stuff from Lamonster and thinking on ordering a roller while I'm at it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2024 at 01:42 PM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Coming up on 15K shortly and thinking ahead about when to change the roller. What is general opinion when to do this?

Have to order some other stuff from Lemonster and thinking on ordering a roller while I'm at it.
    Actually, you can't because the belt tensioners on the Spyder don't have rollers. You can, however, replace the rollers on a belt dampener! Sorry, just a pet peeve that I know I'll never win. Nothing personal...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have 50000 and wife has 30000 on our 21rtls no problems so far

Spyder Garage

I would order the replacement to have on hand and just keep check on the one on the Spyder. I just have made a habit of once a week reaching under and lifting the roller and spinning it to check for smoothness.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2024 at 01:43 PM. Reason: smootness ... ;-)
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Actually, you can't because the belt tensioners on the Spyder don't have rollers. You can, however, replace the rollers on a belt dampener! Sorry, just a pet peeve that I know I'll never win. Nothing personal...
    Hahahaha……onya Ron.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Have to order some other stuff from Lamonster and thinking on ordering a roller while I'm at it.
    I checked the dampener on my 2020 RTL, at about the same mileage, and found one of the two bearings to be bad. With a drive belt circumference of ~110" and Lamonster's roller at about 5.5", those little suckers are really spinning!

Once the roller is off, they come out of the housing easily, I used a socket & wooden mallet to tap them out after removing the snap ring. I replaced them (& the ones in my backup roller) with SKF 6202 2RS C3 Deep Groove bearings; they have the highest rpm rating I could find. I found them reasonably priced on Ebay. Good luck!

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

I somehow knew you would say that!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Reach up there every now and then and see if the bearings are starting to feel rough when you spin them, you'll know when it's time. If it's right after a ride they feel warm, but they should never feel hot! They should spin smooth, not rough! Shaken, not stirred!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdave View Post
    I checked the dampener on my 2020 RTL, at about the same mileage, and found one of the two bearings to be bad. With a drive belt circumference of ~110" and Lamonster's roller at about 5.5", those little suckers are really spinning!

Once the roller is off, they come out of the housing easily, I used a socket & wooden mallet to tap them out after removing the snap ring. I replaced them (& the ones in my backup roller) with SKF 6202 2RS C3 Deep Groove bearings; they have the highest rpm rating I could find. I found them reasonably priced on Ebay. Good luck!
    Bless you my son!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdave View Post

Bless you my son!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I somehow knew you would say that!!!
    Guilty as charged! A creature of habit, (and lost causes) I suppose... I think "A Rose By Any Other Name" may apply here.

Spyder Garage

....Guilty as charged! A creature of habit, (and lost causes) I suppose... I think "A Rose By Any Other Name" may apply here.
    Whadda you mean with this bit, Ron?? And TWICE! Are you piking out on me??

C'mon, suck it up! None of that 'defeatist attitude'!

We WILL WIN & get thru to everyone eventually!! Just keep the goal in sight, you know we'll make it! Hang in there, keep on slugging; we've come so far, it'd be a shame to give up now when we're sooo close! You only 'lose' when you stop trying! There may come a day when we can no longer, but TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY!

Be Positive - it's a Belt DAMPENER, not a belt tensioner - the tensioners/aligners on the far ends of the swing arms! The Belt DAMPENERS have rollers! You got this! I'm with you, and there are more! Together, we WILL prevail!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2024 at 05:44 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Whadda you mean with this bit, Ron?? And TWICE! Are you piking out on me??

C'mon, suck it up! None of that 'defeatist attitude'!

We WILL WIN & get thru to everyone eventually!! Just keep the goal in sight, you know we'll make it! Hang in there, keep on slugging; we've come so far, it'd be a shame to give up now when we're sooo close! You only 'lose' when you stop trying! There may come a day when we can no longer, but TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY!

Be Positive - it's a Belt DAMPENER, not a belt tensioner - the tensioners/aligners on the far ends of the swing arms! The Belt DAMPENERS have rollers! You got this! I'm with you, and there are more! Together, we WILL prevail!
    I suppose you're right. There are still a few of us left! Every one we can convert is a victory!

Spyder Garage

Looks like BRP calls it an "Idler Pulley" or am I reading this wrong? Whatever it is, we all know what we're writing about. LOL
    https://www.canampartshouse.com/oemp...1/idler-pulley

Thanks all for the feedback and Mikey, your suggestion about feeling of the roller every now and then makes a lot of sense to me.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Hey it is a tensioner when you are backing up. I wonder if CAN AM actually tried one on the bottom of the belt. I do know that when I installed at spring loaded roller on my first 2018 Spyder RTL it cured the harmonic belt sound at around 45 MPH. The recently purchase 2018 RTL had one already installed. BTW it is fun to challenge Honda and HD trike owner to a race in reverse gear.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

FWIW, Jacob at Lamonster recommended replacing their beefier roller every 15K miles.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

My OEM roller failed at around 10,000 miles, scored the drive belt. I replaced it with the Lamonster roller which is still going strong with 36,000 miles on the bike now. Maybe I'll order a replacement now just in case...

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Such a big PIA to replace on the 2020+ RT's

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I zip tied my dampener up to the frame and off of my belt and adjusted the belt to where I had the least amount of annoying vibration. Didn't and don't trust those little bearings at all!