Spyder Garage

Default Any non-dealers in Atlanta area who do oil changes?

Any non dealers in the Atlanta area do oil changes? Just got a ridiculous quote from local dealer.

2021 Spyder RT Limited
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2024 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

How much did you get quoted?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

It is easy to do it yourself and save some money if you are physically able. Also, BajaRon’s shop in Greeneville, TN can do it.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    How much did you get quoted?
    $432. I assume 2 hrs labor plus oil kit.

Does it take 2 hrs?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2024 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

It is a little high in my book, but not bad if he's doing the whole system, Trans and all. I would do it myself! Or I would try Ron's shop!!!! Top notch people!!
    Last edited by Mikey; 03-11-2024 at 07:31 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ramblin5 View Post

Does it take 2 hrs?
    Not in Atlanta Area - so I'm not help to you but for comparison: I'm a hobby mechanic - work on Spyders and Rykers in my spare time - totally different than my Salary Job. I charge $100 for the "labor." That includes a review of the Spyder and the oil change, eyes on brakes, tires, pulley, coolant level, etc.

The oil change kit is pushing $140 these days. MANY of us don't use the Canam Oil Change Kit. (I will use whatever the customer brings me that I know works well). The setup I use/recommend is closer to $50-60 for the "parts."

I can do the oil change in less than 45 minutes though I often take my time, do other things while the oil is draining to ensure it gets good and out, etc.

I can tell you that I'm cheaper than local dealers - which is why I keep a hefty wait list.

My 2 cents.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Not in Atlanta Area - so I'm not help to you but for comparison: I'm a hobby mechanic - work on Spyders and Rykers in my spare time - totally different than my Salary Job. I charge $100 for the "labor." That includes a review of the Spyder and the oil change, eyes on brakes, tires, pulley, coolant level, etc.

The oil change kit is pushing $140 these days. MANY of us don't use the Canam Oil Change Kit. (I will use whatever the customer brings me that I know works well). The setup I use/recommend is closer to $50-60 for the "parts."

I can do the oil change in less than 45 minutes though I often take my time, do other things while the oil is draining to ensure it gets good and out, etc.

I can tell you that I'm cheaper than local dealers - which is why I keep a hefty wait list.

My 2 cents.
    You are the kind of guy I'm looking for!

Thanks for the reply.

Spyder Garage

Ask around to other riders that you may know or even ask a stranger you see on a bike. Someone will surely tell you about an independent mechanic or two in that area. I have a good pal that I often help out in his independent shop and he is always booked up. No advertising, just word of mouth.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

If you have the place and the desire, then for less than the $432 you could get 2 ramps and an oil drain pan from Harbor Freight or Walmart, several filter and 'o' ring kits from Baja Ron, oil, and the needed wrenches.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-31-2024 at 05:04 PM.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post

My 2 cents.
    Hey I was thinking about doing this around the DMV previously and still have an interest in it due to the wait times at dealerships.

And even going so far as fabbing up a trailer to do mobile work for oil changes and alignments on request locally and maybe taking it to some events to do work.

I was just wondering if you have enough work to keep you busy throughout the year?

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Hey I was thinking about doing this around the DMV previously and still have an interest in it due to the wait times at dealerships.

And even going so far as fabbing up a trailer to do mobile work for oil changes and alignments on request locally and maybe taking it to some events to do work.

I was just wondering if you have enough work to keep you busy throughout the year?
    As I mentioned - it's a hobby gig for me. Between my Day/Salary job, my trips, and my other obligations - I don't get to work on bikes as often as I'd like. I have a FB page for my "business" which was started more as a joke and exploded into this "hobby business" I have now. Wife and I have chatted numerous times about what it would look like as my primary gig but just a pipe dream for now. That said, I don't do much if any advertising (none paid). My waitlist remains around 15-20 almost year round and I say no to a lot of things. People are willing to wait - because to be honest - they are waiting for the more expensive dealers anyway. My challenge is my constantly changing schedule of when I can work - so actually scheduling bikes in has been my achilles heel.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ramblin5 View Post

Does it take 2 hrs?
    $432.00..... OMG ..... If you were closer, WE could do it together; your oil & filter - my lift and knowledge. Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2024 at 12:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry,
    Have you found a shop yet?
    If you found 1, let me know. I may give them some of my business.
    Otherwise, I may ride up to Tenn and see BajaRon.
    If you went to MMS, they're expensive for all maintenance.
    I like the folks in Cartersville, but they are expensive for some things as well.
    Maybe check out a non Can-Am dealer like WOW or 1 of the Harley spots.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Sorry,
    Have you found a shop yet?
    If you found 1, let me know. I may give them some of my business.
    Otherwise, I may ride up to Tenn and see BajaRon.
    If you went to MMS, they're expensive for all maintenance.
    I like the folks in Cartersville, but they are expensive for some things as well.
    Maybe check out a non Can-Am dealer like WOW or 1 of the Harley spots.
    Haven't found anyone yet. I don't trust Harley to work on my Harley let alone the Spyder. I'll checkbout WOW. Thanks for the response.

Spyder Garage

I would not use MMS in Marietta based on past experience with their service dept and service advisors.... plus, they are way too high in price. Extreme Propulsion in Cartersville has good service techs, AJ is the Spyder man, and they do alignments too. But it is a bit of a drive to get there from Marietta. I don't think WOW will service the Spyder. However, they are a used dealer and handle all sorts of bikes; 80% Harley, Honda, Yamaha, etc. I have a local friend who was gonna see if they would service his 2014 RT... Answer was a flat - No! .....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-31-2024 at 05:09 PM.
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post

Most everything bike related (including the Spyder/Ryker) are seasonal. The farther north, typically, the shorter the season. Around here everything starts to break loose in March (depending on weather). Then runs through August and starts to taper off to very little from November to the end of February. I know of some who do maintenance, installs of our sway bar kits, etc., for very reasonable prices and seem to do very well. But for the OP, nothing that I know of in the Atlanta area though.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    I would not use MMS in Marietta based on past experience with their service dept and service advisors.... plus, they are way too high in price. Extreme Propulsion in Cartersville has good service techs, AJ is the Spyder man, and they do alignments too. But it is a bit of a drive to get there from Marietta. I don't think WOW will service the Spyder. However, they are a used dealer and handle all sorts of bikes; 80% Harley, Honda, Yamaha, etc. I have a local friend who was gonna see if they would service his 2014 RT... Answer was a flat - No! .....
    That sucks. I try not to bad mouth folks/businesses, but I understand your sentiment on MMS. I had unfavorable interactions with sales at 1 location and service at another. I did ride to Cartersville for several services; the laser alignment, installation of floorboard lights, & a few warranty issues too. Maintenance from them is expensive though. There is another place in Gainesville (GMS). I don't have any service experience with them, but a friend bought a Spyder RTL from them a few years ago and didn't have any complaints. Good luck on your search.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2024 at 03:18 AM.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Nothing wrong with getting intimate with your spyder & doing some DIY. Ron’s kit, fast delivery to your door. Even if you don’t DIY, it is cheaper than others & worth having on hand.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2024 at 03:16 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Update?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks for everyone's responses. I had one of the forum members contact me who does all his own work and offer to do the oil change for me at a nominal fee so I could see how it's done. As we talked and I looked at youtube videos again I was convinced I can do this myself. I have purchased the oil and filter kit and will be doing it soon. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again.