Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TimKW View Post
    I've never heard of "ride-on" but maybe this would solve my vibration issue. I just had Vredestein's installed in front and Altimax 45 in the rear. The service tech swears he balanced and aligned the fronts, but I have a noticeable vibration starting at 55 and getting worse up to 70mph. Would this "ride-on" fix this if the tire(s) are out of round or ...???
    Are you sure this is not vibration coming from the belt?
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I did have some minor vibration prior to changing tires, but it's definitely worse with the new tires. The vibration is such that when I put the cruise control on and remove my hands from the handlebars, the bars shake like crazy. The bike still tracks OK and at lower speeds it's fine. I'm taking it back into the shop tomorrow or when they have an opening and have them look at it before I do anything else. I did look for weights and they are in place and look to be new. Also played with pressure a bit ... I have 18psi all around (as was suggested), that goes up to about 21 when hot. I'll mention the belt, but it sure feels like it's coming from the front tires. Thanks for the ideas!! I'll follow up when I know more.

2022 RTL HyperSilver
    2018 Honda Goldwing Tour White
    2022 RTL , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

I did have some minor vibration prior to changing tires, but it's definitely worse with the new tires. The vibration is such that when I put the cruise control on and remove my hands from the handlebars, the bars shake like crazy. The bike still tracks OK and at lower speeds it's fine. I'm taking it back into the shop tomorrow or when they have an opening and have them look at it before I do anything else. I did look for weights and they are in place and look to be new. Also played with pressure a bit ... I have 18psi all around (as was suggested), that goes up to about 21 when hot. I'll mention the belt, but it sure feels like it's coming from the front tires. Thanks for the ideas!! I'll follow up when I know more.
    Can you see a Red or Yellow dot on the tire sidewalls anywhere?? IF they're there, they're usually low down close to the bead, and if the tire's been mounted properly, should be near the valve stem or near a raised metal dot, a notch, or a marked spot on the edge of the rim where it's been marked indelibly to identify where to align those paint dots...

If you do have those dots on the tire sidewalls, and they are nowhere near the valve &/or a clear mark/dot/notch on the rim edge, then it's likely that the tire hasn't been mounted correctly and so may be more prone to balance &/or run-out issues... The bad news is that on many of the 'better made' tires out there, they don't have any noticeably heavier/lighter spots &/or run-out to mark, so not all of the better quality tires will necessarily have any paint dots; and on the other end of the scale, many of the cheaper/lesser quality tire manufacturers are now aware of this, so they've stopped marking their tires too, despite the fact that their tires clearly DO have heavier/lighter areas &/or run-out areas too!!

So unless you're tire/wheel assembly tech was switched on and did the job properly, the only sign you might ever see/feel that indicates you've got an issue may well be a bad vibration from the wheels...

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2024 at 12:26 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have handlebar shake it doesn't have anything to do with Belt Vibes or the air pressure ..... IMHO, I doubt Can Am dealers are going to spend money on a Spin Balancing machine (they are not cheap), because they won't have much use for it ..... They will take them to the nearest cheapest Auto tire place, pay them to do it instead, & just charge you triple what it cost them.

Back when BRP was still making the V-twin engine, they would tell the owners that a VALVE CHECK (for clearance adjustment) was necessary at 28,000 mi. +/- (at a cost of about $850.00).... Here, we figured out that those Valves weren't going Out of Adjustment until way over 100,000 mi. (if at all!) .... I have wondered how many owners paid to have it done and the Valves weren't ever checked at all???? ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2024 at 12:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Can you see a Red or Yellow dot on the tire sidewalls anywhere?? IF they're there, they're usually low down close to the bead, and if the tire's been mounted properly, should be near the valve stem or near a raised metal dot, a notch, or a marked spot on the edge of the rim where it's been marked indelibly to identify where to align those paint dots...

If you do have those dots on the tire sidewalls, and they are nowhere near the valve &/or a clear mark/dot/notch on the rim edge, then it's likely that the tire hasn't been mounted correctly and so may be more prone to balance &/or run-out issues... The bad news is that on many of the 'better made' tires out there, they don't have any noticeably heavier/lighter spots &/or run-out to mark, so not all of the better quality tires will necessarily have any paint dots; and on the other end of the scale, many of the cheaper/lesser quality tire manufacturers are now aware of this, so they've stopped marking their tires too, despite the fact that their tires clearly DO have heavier/lighter areas &/or run-out areas too!!

So unless you're tire/wheel assembly tech was switched on and did the job properly, the only sign you might ever see/feel that indicates you've got an issue may well be a bad vibration from the wheels...

Just Sayin'
    I took the bike into the dealer yesterday. The tech rode it and gave me the run around about not knowing much about my particular bike and how it rode but did not feel any appreciable vibration in the handlebars. Anyway, I disputed this conclusion and they will re-balance the tires as soon as their balancer is fixed in a couple weeks (waiting for a circuit board replacement). He also commented that there was no "dot" on the Vredestein tires for mounting at the valve stem. That kinda tells me that could be a potential problem. Does anyone out there with these tires know if there is some symbol or ?? indicating where the tire should be positioned on the wheel?? Also, before anyone bad mouths the dealer ... I've bought 4 motorcycles over the years from them and I've known the owner for 25 or so years and never have had an issue with their service. I'm confident that if these Vredestein tires will work on this bike without a balance/vibration issue, they will do everything possible to make it happen. If they can't, I'm having them save the old Kenda fronts and put them back on as a last resort. They were still in good shape; it was just the rear that needed replacement, and I don't think the Altimax would be the problem.

2022 RTL HyperSilver
    2022 RTL , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

I took the bike into the dealer yesterday. The tech rode it and gave me the run around about not knowing much about my particular bike and how it rode but did not feel any appreciable vibration in the handlebars. Anyway, I disputed this conclusion and they will re-balance the tires as soon as their balancer is fixed in a couple weeks (waiting for a circuit board replacement). He also commented that there was no "dot" on the Vredestein tires for mounting at the valve stem. That kinda tells me that could be a potential problem. Does anyone out there with these tires know if there is some symbol or ?? indicating where the tire should be positioned on the wheel?? Also, before anyone bad mouths the dealer ... I've bought 4 motorcycles over the years from them and I've known the owner for 25 or so years and never have had an issue with their service. I'm confident that if these Vredestein tires will work on this bike without a balance/vibration issue, they will do everything possible to make it happen. If they can't, I'm having them save the old Kenda fronts and put them back on as a last resort. They were still in good shape; it was just the rear that needed replacement, and I don't think the Altimax would be the problem.
    Vredesteins apparently DON'T have the DOTS because Vredesteins may not need them ( according to Vredestein ) ..... " as soon nas their balancer is fixed " !!!!! this should be a clue ..... .....In all my years of buying tires I've never had one that couldn't be balanced .... some have NOT even needed weights .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, "The bad news is that on many of the 'better made' tires out there, they don't have any noticeably heavier/lighter spots &/or run-out to mark, so not all of the better quality tires will necessarily have any paint dots..." and the Vredesteins are widely recognised in the industry as falling into this category... somewhat more so than the Altimax!!

And that's ^ what the paint dots are for, but on tires made by Vredestein & other similar quality brands, they're generally only there IF IT'S NECESSARY to identify any specific positioning. So any 'potential problem' most likely isn't going to be the tires themselves - if 'they' can't balance a set of Vredesteins, it's fairly unlikely to be the tires, they are generally made so well that they don't need any special positioning on a well-made & round rim to achieve a good balance... However, there are also rims out there that aren't necessarily all that well balanced too... But a good tech knows how to and generally compensates for anything like that which can/should be corrected for while doing the balance job anyway, and if it can't/shouldn't be compensated for, they'd tell you. Altho that story about the balancer not working is a bit worrying - if it's not working now, how did they actually balance your tires earlier??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, "The bad news is that on many of the 'better made' tires out there, they don't have any noticeably heavier/lighter spots &/or run-out to mark, so not all of the better quality tires will necessarily have any paint dots..." and the Vredesteins are widely recognised in the industry as falling into this category... somewhat more so than the Altimax!!

And that's ^ what the paint dots are for, but on tires made by Vredestein & other similar quality brands, they're generally only there IF IT'S NECESSARY to identify any specific positioning. So any 'potential problem' most likely isn't going to be the tires themselves - if 'they' can't balance a set of Vredesteins, it's fairly unlikely to be the tires, they are generally made so well that they don't need any special positioning on a well-made & round rim to achieve a good balance... However, there are also rims out there that aren't necessarily all that well balanced too... But a good tech knows how to and generally compensates for anything like that which can/should be corrected for while doing the balance job anyway, and if it can't/shouldn't be compensated for, they'd tell you. Altho that story about the balancer not working is a bit worrying - if it's not working now, how did they actually balance your tires earlier??
    They said the balancer was working when the tires were mounted.

2022 RTL HyperSilver
    2022 RTL , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Ahhh... coincidental timing! Or was it already on the way out when they were balancing your tires??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

"was working..." That could mean that it turned on when they moved the switch to ON .... These "spin balancers" need to be re-calibrated periodically .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-14-2024 at 01:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Vredesteins apparently DON'T have the DOTS because Vredesteins may not need them ( according to Vredestein ) ..... " as soon nas their balancer is fixed " !!!!! this should be a clue ..... .....In all my years of buying tires I've never had one that couldn't be balanced .... some have NOT even needed weights .....Mike
    Both my Federal and Vredestein tires I have were not balanced at installation and run pretty smooth on the road. I did buy front centramatic wheel balancers just to assure they we running to best they could. They are on the Asphalt Grey trike right now with the PPA wheels and Vredesteins. May move them to the Champagne trike for the ride from Az to Wa with the OEM chrome wheels and Federal Formoza tires. The H&R springs are on the way for that trike, and I will put the Asphalt Grey one in storage and start riding and servicing the Champagne one for the next month and a half to assure it is ready for the 2000 mile trip.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.