Spyder Garage

Default Well, It Appears that my 2 Polls on Tires have Run their Course.

The 2 Poll Questions

Have you had any issues with your Kenda tires? (84 Responses - 1,324 Views) No Issues - 58.33% - Yes. I've had Issues - 41.67%

Are you happy with your aftermarket CAR tires? (75 Responses) - 1,088 Views) Satisfied - 97.33% - Dissatisfied - 2.67%

I found these 2 polls to be quite interesting. I didn't end them so they are still out there if you want to add your experience.

I hope you enjoyed them. Thank you for participating.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The 2 Poll Questions

Have you had any issues with your Kenda tires? (84 Responses - 1,324 Views) No Issues - 58.33% - Yes. I've had Issues - 41.67%

Are you happy with your aftermarket CAR tires? (75 Responses) - 1,088 Views) Satisfied - 97.33% - Dissatisfied - 2.67%

I found these 2 polls to be quite interesting. I didn't end them so they are still out there if you want to add your experience.

I hope you enjoyed them. Thank you for participating.
    Out of the 2 responses of those who were not happy with their aftermarket tires, one of which I would call an outlayer, clearly used a tire that was never before brought forward by the forum members as a go to product. Not sure about the 2nd response. There is also with in the Kenda OEM tire support group people who are just happy with the product the way it was delivered, and do not you want to push it beyond it's limits created by the tires the manufacturer supplies. This also applies to suspension upgrades for many.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-07-2024 at 11:13 AM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My .02 .... I have been reporting/discussing tires on them since 2012 ..... I have stated many, many times that I have two major issues with Kenda tires:

#1- they are poorly constructed even considering the light weight of our Spyders .... and
    #2- they have the highest Defective rate of any tire I've ever heard of.....

That being said, My recommendation to replace has always been that if your Kenda's are round, balanced, etc, wait until they wear out, then replace them with an Auto tire if at all possible. ..... Thanks, Ron, for your survey ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-07-2024 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

I have used Netzley Tire in New York when we have gone to SpyderQuest for tires on our 2013 RT Limited. The rear one got replaced at around 15,000 miles(?). They put a General Altima I believe. The bike now has 23,000 miles and tire is nice. Two SpyderQuests ago in 2022, they put two new front tires on. Cannot remember the name. They are car tires. Wearing well, but the dealer shop mechanic while making some repairs over most of last summer wrote in the description that he does not approve because they are not designed to be used on motorcycles. Liability issues. I see no issues and wear is nice and handling is no different. When our new to us 2021 F3 Limited needs tires, I shall get what is available from whom I buy. If the dealer, who I like does it, then so be it. If Netzely Tire, so be it.
    Last edited by Myron Ah; 03-07-2024 at 11:50 AM.
    2021 F3 Limited. 2013 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Out of the 2 responses of those who were not happy with their aftermarket tires, one of which I would call an outlayer, clearly used a tire that was never before brought forward by the forum members as a go to product. Not sure about the 2nd response. There is also with in the Kenda OEM tire support group people who are just happy with the product the way it was delivered, and do not you want to push it beyond it's limits created by the tires the manufacturer supplies. This also applies to suspension upgrades for many.
    If you're referring to the Nankang tires there, you might not have seen them mentioned here all that much, but those tires are not only well know here, but they are also used by quite a few people here in Oz, simply because we don't get all the same tires you do over there. But most who run them here don't expect the absolute highest level of performance, altho most do feel they still get acceptably if not significantly better performance than they got from the OE Spec Kendas in all respects (when they run them at the right pressures! ) as they are more after reasonably good value for money and reasonable all-round wet/dry performance with significantly longer tire life across the wide range of conditions most riders experience here - remember that here, just riding into the next State for many means wearing out a new Kenda rear tire to get there, let alone get home! And the majority of users here are pretty happy with their Nankangs for what they are, as they suit their riding needs, the conditions they ride in, and they last long enough to get there & back again without having to find a new set of tires or two along the way!

But you are right in that very few Ozzie riders expect those tires to be 'high performance' tires in any respect; so yeah, that as you called 'outlayer' is probably well classified as one of those, albeit possibly just to try and stir the natives up a bit; but you're not right about the tires except maybe in your own 'field of view', cos here in Oz, Nankang tires are a well know, often used, largely middle of the road (with some high performance offerings/sizes! ), value for money, reasonably performing brand of tires; with many Spyder Owners/riders more than happy about their longevity and 'acceptably without necessarily being startlingly' better than OEM Spec Kenda in terms of outright performance! And Nankangs are readily and widely available in sizes that fit our Spyders/Rykers here, while Vredesteins & Generals are not if at all! It's a 'Horses for Courses' thing, and our courses are not only somewhat different to yours, they are a long way away from yours, with a lot of distance between each of them here too, plus a whole different/wider set of conditions and supply issues!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-07-2024 at 12:03 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you're referring to the Nankang tires there, you might not have seen them mentioned here all that much, but those tires are not only well know here, but they are also used by quite a few people here in Oz, simply because we don't get all the same tires you do over there. But most who run them here don't expect the absolute highest level of performance, altho most do feel they still get acceptably if not significantly better performance than they got from the OE Spec Kendas in all respects (when they run them at the right pressures! ) as they are more after reasonably good value for money and reasonable all-round wet/dry performance with significantly longer tire life across the wide range of conditions most riders experience here - remember that here, just riding into the next State for many means wearing out a new Kenda rear tire to get there, let alone get home! And the majority of users here are pretty happy with their Nankangs for what they are, as they suit their riding needs, the conditions they ride in, and they last long enough to get there & back again without having to find a new set of tires or two along the way!

But you are right in that very few Ozzie riders expect those tires to be 'high performance' tires in any respect; so yeah, that as you called 'outlayer' is probably well classified as one of those, albeit possibly just to try and stir the natives up a bit; but you're not right about the tires except maybe in your own 'field of view', cos here in Oz, Nankang tires are a well know, often used, largely middle of the road (with some high performance offerings/sizes! ), value for money, reasonably performing brand of tires; with many Spyder Owners/riders more than happy about their longevity and 'acceptably without necessarily being startlingly' better than OEM Spec Kenda in terms of outright performance! And Nankangs are readily and widely available in sizes that fit our Spyders/Rykers here, while Vredesteins & Generals are not if at all! It's a 'Horses for Courses' thing, and our courses are not only somewhat different to yours, they are a long way away from yours, with a lot of distance between each of them here too, plus a whole different/wider set of conditions and supply issues!

Just Sayin'
    Points taken. Here we tend to wrongly think we are the center of the universe!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Ron! Very interesting to see the poll results and read the comments. I am getting the spring service done and all 3 tires changed in a couple of weeks (this week and next travelling for work, and not on the bike). With everything I have read, I am really looking forward to the ride home on the new shoes.

More over, I appreciate the experience and knowledge here, and the willingness to share it. Without all of you, another OEM tire might have made it on my bike.
    2022 Sea to Sky