Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2024 RTL display and other items failed

I have a 2024 RTL less than 3 weeks and about 400 mi since new. After a 30-minute ride today, the display flickered twice then went dark, the audio also quit, the power steering quit, and the turn signals failed. All other functions seemed normal. The bike has the cheap battery installed. It did not go into limp mode. I checked all the fuses, and they looked good. I load tested the battery, and it tested good. I let bike sit for several hours then restarted it with no change.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what all these failed items may have in common, or have had a similar situation? If so, I would like your input. I'm taking it to the dealer shortly; but would like some idea as to what is happening, preferably before I visit.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2024 at 09:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're lucky to get back home. They have been installing cheap Chinese batteries for a while. Plus, maybe your dealership didn't properly charge battery on assembly. A 1 or 2 amp charge for 18 - 24 hrs is necessary. Anyhow, you're under warranty, so you should be able to get a new battery, but they will probably just put another cheap battery into it. Older Spyders had a Yusua.

Maybe you could also charge it overnight and see if that clears up the problem? All those items you mention = faulty battery

ARE THE TERMINALS TIGHT????
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2024 at 09:19 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're lucky to get back home. They have been installing cheap Chinese batteries for a while. Plus, maybe your dealership didn't properly charge battery on assembly. A 1 or 2 amp charge for 18 - 24 hrs is necessary. Anyhow, you're under warranty, so you should be able to get a new battery, but they will probably just put another cheap battery into it. Older Spyders had a Yusua.

Maybe you could also charge it overnight and see if that clears up the problem? All those items you mention = faulty battery

ARE THE TERMINALS TIGHT????
    3 weeks ..... make the Stealer give you a new Battery ..... Then after you get it home add Star washers to the Batt. terminals ....good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Had the same thing happen to my 2024 about 2 weeks ago. It is the cheap BRP battery, I paid to have them install a Yuasa battery. It is a known issue at dealer. After battery replacement all issues went away.
    Last edited by JB62; 03-06-2024 at 11:10 AM.

Spyder Garage

X4 Good place to start!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I guess its time to check my battery in my 2024 RT.
    I wonder if it could be causing the problems I am having with my spyder not connecting to my WiFi and BT?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeeredoo View Post
    I wonder if it could be causing the problems I am having with my spyder not connecting to my WiFi and BT?
    That is a big possibility.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeeredoo View Post
    Take it to the dealer and let them find what is wrong with it. It is brand new that’s what you have a warranty for. I could have trouble shot mine to find what was bad but why bother let them fix it, we paid for a warranty. I was very annoyed considering I had less than 100 miles on mine

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JB62 View Post
    Take it to the dealer and let them find what is wrong with it. It is brand new that’s what you have a warranty for. I could have trouble shot mine to find what was bad but why bother let them fix it, we paid for a warranty. I was very annoyed considering I had less than 100 miles on mine
    That's my plan after I get all my ducks in a row to what I have done and tried. They didn't have a clue when I told them about apple car play. they had to create a trouble ticket with BRP to find out apple car play was not installed.

I had a 2017 RT and had issues with the screen going blank, (I guess I should have made a video of it going blank), They did replace it under warranty, but they didn't believe me, until they seen it for them self.

Spyder Garage

Well the battery did not cause my problems so back to dealer, getting frustrated as it has been with the dealer more than at my house.
    Sometimes it will not go into reverse, and they are waiting on BRP tell them what to do next. It shows on BUDS that miss-communication with errors and thinks the parking brake is on when it is not. Also, there's low pressures to the transmission. I'm ready to scream.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 12:24 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well the battery did not cause my problems so back to dealer, getting frustrated as it has been with the dealer more than at my house.
    Sometimes it will not go into reverse, and they are waiting on BRP tell them what to do next. It shows on BUDS that miss-communication with errors and thinks the parking brake is on when it is not. Also, there's low pressures to the transmission. I'm ready to scream.

What were or are the ERROR codes ...... as shown by BUDS????? .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 12:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

Not much help for all who already have bought the '24’s, but for those who are still looking to purchase, ask your dealer about buying the lifetime battery warranty. I said no on my '23 F3T and they right away cut the price in half to $149.00, which made it a no brainer for me, figuring 3 batteries minimum if I keep the Spyder 10 years... Mine is through aftercare, Inc.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 12:27 AM.
    2022 RTL , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    What were or are the ERROR codes ...... as shown by BUDS????? .... Mike
    P195B - line pressure too low; U0155 - loss of communication with cluster; P194D - clutch pressure hydraulic gain too low.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 12:29 AM.

Spyder Garage

What happened to the original poster on this thread?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 12:37 AM.
    2012 Viper Red RT-S (Sold)
    2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
    What happened to the original poster on this thread?
    gkerrs has visited the Forum today, and according to the 'members who have read this thread' listing for the thread (see below) does appear to have visited it at least once since the putting up the original post; and their last visit was certainly within the last week or two?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

HaHa.. I installed a battery tender connection yesterday on my brand new 2024 Sea to Sky (29 miles). I noticed the battery was some cheap chinese brand too :-( but it did say 21aH.

And I got the U0155 code "lost communication with the instrument cluster" in the settings on the dashboard....

Is there any key/button combination to clear that? Or will it just go away? Or do I need to take that to the dealer?

Damn, I wish I had BUDS2....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 02:09 PM.
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    HaHa.. I installed a battery tender connection yesterday on my brand new 2024 Sea to Sky (29 miles). I noticed the battery was some cheap chinese brand too :-( but it did say 21aH.

And I got the U0155 code "lost communication with the instrument cluster" in the settings on the dashboard....

Is there any key/button combination to clear that? Or will it just go away? Or do I need to take that to the dealer?

Damn, I wish I had BUDS2....
    It sure seems like every 2024 has the same code, you would think they would have all the problems worked out with these Spyders. I took mine to dealer, replaced the battery, and still have the code after they told me it was a battery problem. I don't believe we have a way to clear it without BUDS.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 02:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Spyder

It sure seems like every 2024 has the same code, you would think they would have all the problems worked out with these Spyders. I took mine to dealer, replaced the battery, and still have the code after they told me it was a battery problem. I don't believe we have a way to clear it without BUDS.
    My dealer told me that BRP stated that this error would be fixed as part of the ACP Update
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)
    -------------------------------
    2024 RT Limited, Petrol Metalic
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    TricLED Front Fender Reflectors with Sequential LED Turn Signals & Running Lights
    Show Chrome LED Trunk Lights with Run, Brake & Sequential Turn Signals
    Mo-Door Garage Door Opener
    Fobo Electronic Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    Show Chrome Heavy-Duty Replacement Rear Trunk Lid Lift Support Strut / Shock
    Show Chrome Trunk Mounted Luggage Rack
    SpyderExtras Billet Aluminum Handlebar Riser Kit

Spyder Garage

Well... went for a ride today to get gas ~10 miles total. 1 & 1/2 miles into the ride the whole cluster went blank, only thing that lit up was the turn light indicators. @#$%@#%^ The engine did continue running, but with no info about rpm, speed, voltage, radio, etc.

When I got to the gas station (Tier 1, 93 octane) I turned it off and filled up. Then when I turned it back on... the screen came back. So, after debating with my wife (on her 2023 Sea to Sky) we decided to cut the run short and went a different way home thru the neighborhood.

As the screen was back on during the ride home, I checked the voltage reading on the screen - 14.3 - 14.4v when running..... When I turned bike off at home, it showed 12.6v. It cranked over well before and after the run too. I had put star washers on the battery tender cables to make sure of the connections.

Called the dealer... Was given the "we have never heard of that" reply, but they did research for TSB bulletins from BRP and told me that the pending update for Carplay (ACP) will also fix the issues people have had with loss of screens or the bike going completely dead with the screen issue... So they asked me to bring it back to them tomorrow. They are gonna hook it up to BUDS and see if there are any other codes not reported by the dash.

I let them know I have never had any issue with our 2023 Sea to Sky - period! I bought this to have a new reliable ride and it doesn't even have 40 miles on it yet. Not happy at all... $33000 and THIS!!!

We are supposed to go up to BajaRon's Spyder in the Smokies April 30th-May 5, for an appointment for sway bar and short reach handlebars as well as the Spyder Community Get Together, and I've already rented a house there. But it's 300 + miles and 4+ hours away.... If it ain't fixed, I'm out the appointment, the paid house rental, and the vacation time for my wife too.

I will keep you guys informed.... Sorry for the ^#%&#& bad language
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 05:37 PM. Reason: cantinue; Caps; & ' 's ;-)
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

I did some sleuthing on the U0155 code. It comes up for many manufacturers of cars too. Always related to the loss of communication with instrument cluster or module. I would think it could be a CANBUS error in the minor cases of just shutting off the screen. But in cases where the whole bike goes dead, IMHO it would be deeper.

In the case of the whole bike dead, if I was a betting man, I might place a bet on the cluster and related boards/chips/capacitors/harnesses being substandard...

I do think it is NOT funny that the BRP Can Am show in Atlanta, that displayed the 2024 RT Ltd bikes, actually had Carplay running and yet none of the production ones have it running... BUT wait for the update... some months later... still!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Caps & i's & ' 's... ;-)

Spyder Garage

P195B - line pressure too low; U0155 - loss of communication with cluster; P194D - clutch pressure hydraulic gain too low.
    At this point I am getting really angry with BRP, They have a display fault of parking brake on when it is off thru BUDS and my dealer doesn't know how to fix these problems and are waiting on BRP to tell them what to test.

They keep emailing BRP then have to wait for a reply. Have they never heard of a phone. Then the advertising Apple Car Play that they don't have. They really need to be on the phone with BRP and put a foot up their butts. When and if they figure it out they won't have the parts to fix it.

Tomorrow I am going to speak with the dealership general manager and vent my complains to him and see if he can get into BRP butt. I am really regretting buying the Spyder at the moment.
    Last edited by JB62; 03-21-2024 at 01:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

At this point I am getting really angry with BRP, They have a display fault of parking brake on when it is off thru BUDS and my dealer doesn't know how to fix these problems and are waiting on BRP to tell them what to test.

They keep emailing BRP then have to wait for a reply. Have they never heard of a phone. Then the advertising Apple Car Play that they don't have. They really need to be on the phone with BRP and put a foot up their butts. When and if they figure it out they won't have the parts to fix it.

Tomorrow I am going to speak with the dealership general manager and vent my complains to him and see if he can get into BRP butt. I am really regretting buying the Spyder at the moment.
    Once you get all the initial 'new bike/new model' crap sorted and work out exactly what you're prepared to let BRP &/or the dealers do, and what you can do for yourself instead &/or you find a good dealer/service bod who actually DOES know which end of a spanner to use & who deserves the other end forcibly inserted where the sun don't shine, it all becomes a whole lot better; and except for the few who truly have scored a lemon, Spyder Ryding really does start delivering the Miles of Smiles that many enjoy....

You've just gotta get thru this first stage...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

@peter Aawen...yes true. In my case the owner of the dealership contacted BRP and opened a case with them. He also came 40 miles and flat bedded my Spyder back to his shop. That is service..

Oooh btw he tested some of the controls as he was picking the bike up. The drivers heated grips immedately gave a " heated lever error " and code ( sorry I did not get a photo of it ) ..IIRC someone else posted about this too.

I have had great dealings with them and trust them..this is the second Sea to Sky i have bought from them ( 2023 previously). They have excellent mechanics and stand behind their work.

BRP eeehh not so much esp on the quality control on these 2024's.

I trust my dealer to get this fixed.. dont know how long but there isnt much I can do to help them. Except be patient and let them do their job.( hard to do for sure) The owner knows I have a trip planned to the BaJaRon's Spyders in the Smokies event at end of April.

In any case I will keep this thread updated as I get news.
    Last edited by WRCLVR; 03-21-2024 at 07:36 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Once you get all the initial 'new bike/new model' crap sorted and work out exactly what you're prepared to let BRP &/or the dealers do, and what you can do for yourself instead &/or you find a good dealer/service bod who actually DOES know which end of a spanner to use & who deserves the other end forcibly inserted where the sun don't shine, it all becomes a whole lot better; and except for the few who truly have scored a lemon, Spyder Ryding really does start delivering the Miles of Smiles that many enjoy....

You've just gotta get thru this first stage...
    Thank you for what you said I feel better now. I love riding it and Im sure I will enjoy the Spyder when its fixed. My dealership is not a bad one its just that mine is the first 2024 they have had to work on and they have to wait on BRP. I just needed to vent.

Spyder Garage

Honestly, it's not the dealership's fault.

Fussing/complaining at them will do you no good at all. It might even be detrimental to you in the future.

BRP is who everyone needs to be fussing at.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue