Spyder Garage

Default My 2021 Ryker was missing a weld on the frame

I was doing a belt change on my Ryker when I noticed a missing weld on the frame. I took it to the best welding shop in my area. I didn't have the time to let it sit at the dealership for 2 months to get a 20 min repair done. I've attached a photo of the missing weld and one of the new one. I have since hit it with some paint and finished the belt change. I contacted BRP but they wouldn't do anything for me unless I took it to the dealer which I get but I didn't have the time to wait for all that. It's unfortunate that they don't want to deal with their customers directly and have to use the dealer as a middle man. The dealership I bought from is too busy to do routine maintenance nevermind repairs to welds that were performed in Mexico or should I say not performed. They are parts changers not frame welders. Anyways check your BRP products for welds that may have been missed on the production line. It could kill you. BRP has offered me nothing at this point for my trouble. I love my machine but not too happy with their corporate policy. I sent BRP the photos and asked them to cover the welding costs but again got referred to let it rot at the dealership that would have had to either ship it out for welding, bring a welder onsite or demand a new frame and put all my parts onto a new frame. Instead I opted to save them thousands of dollars potentially by spending $54 to have it welded myself. Just disappointed that they treat me like garbage and didn't seem to care about my issue or safety. I get they want their pros to look at it. But their "pros" forgot to put a weld on the frame then missed the mistake all the way through the production line and the dealership never noticed it. Why not just send it out to Stevie Wonder to see what the problem is...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bradh; 03-05-2024 at 05:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

Glad you saw it and took matters in your own hands and got it fixed. Great job...
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

It looks to me from the pictures that they were grinding out a bad weld and forgot to re-weld it before it got down the line! Glad you found it before it gave you trouble! I would have done it the same way, except I would have done my own welding! Good Job!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2024 at 05:17 PM. Reason: exsept ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I don't see a missing weld. Just one that was ground down during the assembly process. I must be missing something.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I think you're right. It was like they welded it and ground into the weld. None of the other welds on the frame look like that. I couldn't tell if it was never welded or cut into with a thin zip cut blade.

Spyder Garage

Did the pipe move when bumped with a hammer, like just checking to see if WASN"T welded and would move? Too late now...

My guess would see more of a separation/seam if not welded a little bit and ground down. If you have any Ryker friends, might want to look at theirs too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2024 at 05:18 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    Did the pipe move when bumped with a hammer, like just checking to see if WASN"T welded and would move? Too late now...

My guess would see more of a separation/seam if not welded a little bit and ground down. If you have any Ryker friends, might want to look at theirs too.
    Probably a good idea to check for others. These frames are probably welded robotically on a line so it's possible more than one got passed the weld station. Should have been caught by an inspector though.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Just one more customer who didn't get what he paid for.

Do everyone else a favor and report it:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transpo...hild-car-seats
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.