Spyder Garage

Default Belt cover/guard: needed or not?

I've had my RT for over 2 years now, and have read on this website plus elsewhere that without a cover on the exposed drive belt there is a chance of having gravel or other debris from the road get caught in the belt. Is this a real worry or not?
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It’s s a cheap fit that Spyder vendors carry………Cheaper than a $350 belt.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    It’s s a cheap fit that Spyder vendors carry………Cheaper than a $350 belt.
    .... Plus installation if you can't do it ...... In Vermont I ride a lot of back-roads, mostly hard pack, but not always .... I made my own and it covers a bit more than what is being sold .....great peace-of-mind Mod .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes, it's cheaper than being stranded; needing a tow; & eventually an expensive BRP replacement belt. However, it's also avoidable if you simply don’t drive on gravel, chip rock, or similar. If that's unavoidable, keep under 15mph (preferably less) & hopefully only ride on that stuff for a short time. Then inspect the belt when you're clear & it's safe to do so. Extra peace of mind is helpful & recommended, if you travel in gravel prone areas.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-28-2024 at 11:43 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I've had my RT for over 2 years now, and have read on this website plus elsewhere that without a cover on the exposed drive belt there is a chance of having gravel or other debris from the road get caught in the belt. Is this a real worry or not?
    HI vito,1943,

Get a belt cover & a belt guard which will help to prevent gravel, stones and etc. getting int the belt.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I rode belt drive Harleys from 2002 to 2019 when I bought my first spyder. Been riding Spyders since then and I've never had a belt failure.
    2021 Spyder RTL chalk/black/chrome bought in March 21. Previous rides: 2019 Spyder RTL, Orange/chrome. 2015 Harley Heritage, 2002 Harley Heritage, 77 Harley Electra Glide, 75 Harley Electra Glide, 72 Harley Sportster (first bike bought new)
    My Spyder Mods
    Rider backrest, F&R cup holders; F3 handlebars; BRP LED driving light; LaMonster front fender and mirror turn signals, LaMonster Saddlebag lights, Auxito LED rear turn signal blubs w/ built in load resistor; Brake lite modulator/flasher; LaMonster flags on trunk; Garmin Zumo XT. LaMonster Bluetooth adapter for Phone & GPS through Spyder speakers. LaMonster floorboard risers; FOBO tire pressure monitors, Vredestein front and rear tires; BajaRon sway bar.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WDAVEY View Post
    I rode belt drive Harleys from 2002 to 2019 when I bought my first spyder. Been riding Spyders since then and I've never had a belt failure.
    Same experience with me. Notice you winter in Florida and summer in Central New York. Why don't you put down some roots in South Carolina. We ride year round.
    My wife is in real estate so if we can help call. Or if you decide to keep going back and forth-Enjoy life.
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Yes cheaper than being stranded,-tow & eventually a BRP expensive belt. However also avoidable if simply don’t drive on gravel, chip rock, or similar. If unavoidable keep under 15mph (preferably less) & hopefully short time. Inspect when clear& safe to do so. Extra peace of mind is helpful & recommended if Travel gravel prone areas.
    ! If I'm out on the far side of beyond and run into a stretch of loose gravel I can't avoid, in addition to slowly maneuvering through it, once I'm out of it I take the time and effort to check the belt and rear sprocket.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

It's cheap insurance in my book, but even with it covered, you should use your head and slow down when your running gravel roads that stuff can fly in weird ways. good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Rode a Harley Trike conversion for over 20 years with no belt guards at all. Never had a problem with anything getting in the belt. If there is a belt guard, it should be designed so that any gravel or rocks can get back out if they do get in the belt guard. I have not removed the belt guard from the Spyder. It has spaces where rocks can get back out if some do get inside. I don't plan to remove it and run without one, but don't think it would be much difference with or without.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-29-2024 at 07:44 AM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

No need for an inner belt guard until you need one.

Caused by a pebble from R wheel getting stuck in the pulley - 2 week old trike.

spyder-belt.jpg
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

From my home, I have 4/10ths mile of gravel before I get to a hard surface road. In 18K miles, I have run 2 chunks thru the belt-drive, just getting home and it felt like the swing-arm broke.

No damage was done, but I bought a guard for the inside of the belt. I think it's called the "Invisible Guard" or something similar, and cost about $40. It's cheaper than a "tow", or a visit to the dealer!

I've had no issues since.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Like some above stated, rode Harleys for years and no belt problems- sure not same design set up but close enough. Rode marble/gravel roads in Yukon and Northwest Territories for hundreds of miles-no issues- not say that it can and will happen....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    No need for an inner belt guard until you need one.

Caused by a pebble from R wheel getting stuck in the pulley - 2 week old trike.

spyder-belt.jpg
    I had to enlarge this one before I could see the damage. I've never seen such a thing.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

The belt guard was one of the first farkels I put on my .
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

It really does depend on YOUR OWN riding style. I've had them on both my Spyders and Not had any belt problems. I frequently ride on gravel roads, even two tracks. Some folks never leave well maintained paved roads.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I bought one 2 years ago and it's still sitting in the box. Been contemplating putting it on because of how tight the gap is between the belt and the tire. I'll have to look at it again. I don't drive on too many gravel roads but I have driven on them and if the guard works, I'd rather spend the time putting it on than spend the money fixing the damage.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

For a long time, Inspector Gadget had the template on his Spyder webpage. The intent from him was you could buy one from him, or, utilize his template, free of charge, and make your own.

A couple months ago, I wanted to fabricate a guard. Seems since Inspector Gadget is less into Spyders these days, when his website had issues, the template is no longer there. Actually, pretty much his entire website did not want to load.

Possibly I saved the file somewhere, just have not found it, or looked seriously for it.

The premade guards are available as an aftermarket item. Guy named Dan Kummer sells them.