Spyder Garage

Default My '19 F3 needs 4.7L of oil - so why do kits come with 6 bottles?

Hi all,

I would just like to understand, if my 2019 F3 Ltd needs 4.7L of oil (4.9 if changing the tranny filter as I understand it), why do oil kits come with 6 bottles of oil? I understand they are 946ml in each but times 5 is 4.73L. I get it...a top up may be needed but if I have a little XPS left over from last year's change on my ryker, if I need to top up beyond 4.73, can I not just add a couple hundred ml of this if needed? Why spend another $20 (Can) if not neccessary?

How often do you need more than the BRP indicated 4.7L?

Thx
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2024 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Slightly confused so making a few assumptions. You have both a Ryker and an F3? Or you use to have a Ryker and now have an F3? Both take 5W40 which is what comes in the BRP branded oil change kits. The 1330 kit from BRP should be coming with 5 large bottles and 1 small bottle (in the US it's 5.5 Quarts). I don't do enough Ryker oil changes to recall what that kit contains bottle wise.

That said - the 1330 motor is incredibly reliable - I ride hard and fast - and on all my 1330 machines have never had to top off between 9300 mile oil changes. The older 998cc motors I had would go through an extra 1/2 to full quart in its 3500 mile oil changes.

That said - if you find you do need a slight top off for whatever reason - the same 5w40 from a Ryker kit would be just fine in a Spyder - HOWEVER, how is the "open" bottle being stored? Shelved "open" oil can collect moisture depending on storage conditions (condensation from heating/cooling/etc). So be mindful of how old and how "clean" the open left over is before you use it.

That's my 2 cents on the topic...
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
    Hi all,

I would just like to understand, if my 2019 F3 Ltd needs 4.7L of oil (4.9 if changing the tranny filter as I understand it), why do oil kits come with 6 bottles of oil? I understand they are 946ml in each but times 5 is 4.73L. I get it...a top up may be needed but if I have a little XPS left over from last year's change on my ryker, if I need to top up beyond 4.73, can I not just add a couple hundred ml of this if needed? Why spend another $20 (Can) if not neccessary?

How often do you need more than the BRP indicated 4.7L?

Thx
    Short answer. Yes, use what was left over.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also have the 1330 engine, which is the same 1330 used in all the Spyders (NOW).... I have changed my oil many, many times. After a complete draining I put in 5 Qts. - period ...... Then after a warm-up (after a ride) I will check the level, this leaves about 1/4 inch BELOW the max fill mark .... good luck ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2024 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thanks all.

Yes, I still have the Ryker and now the F3 Ltd. Will be selling the Ryker in the spring.