Spyder Garage

Default Is Losing Radio Signal common? Any tips on avoiding loss/recovering signal?

I like to listen to Sirius Satellite Radio when on my Spyder. I lose signal sometimes, especially in rural areas. I'm assuming that is due to cell tower proximities? Is this common?

Also, after losing signal, it is difficult and cumbersome to get signal back; not sure what I scroll back and forth to/with the control knob to recover the signal. Any comments and/or tips on how better to avoid losing signal or how to recover signal any easier?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-25-2024 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2020 Spyder F3-T

Spyder Garage

To avoid losing the radio signal, play 60s and 70s Rock and Roll from a thumb drive. You can play the old 50s, 60s, and 70s country western from a thumb drive too.

No commercials, no startic, no fake news.

Where you lose the signal, is it usually in a valley, where the mountain you are riding along side of could be blocking the satellite signal? The satellites are not directly overhead. Being close to high terrain can block the signal.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 02-25-2024 at 10:43 AM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I have a micro SD card with music in my Garmin Zumo XT that I listen to while riding, via Cardo Spirit HD intercom, while riding solo.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    I like to listen to Sirius Satellite Radio when on my Spyder. I lose signal sometimes, especially in rural areas. I'm assuming that is due to cell tower proximities? Is this common?

Also, after losing signal, it is difficult and cumbersome to get signal back; not sure what I scroll back and forth to/with the control knob to recover the signal. Any comments and/or tips on how better to avoid losing signal or how to recover signal any easier?
    I've had Sirius radio for about 9 yrs. now, the signal comes from satellites. .... I've used it in different area's of the country .... What I've found and learned is .... it varies according to your Latitude ..... it varies according to the time of day ..... Trees don't affect the signal, Solid objects do. ... And what you called signal LOSS isn't necessarily what occurs, these I call Drop-Outs .... ie. the sound stops but you actually still have the signal .... the antennae's work better and are designed to be on the roof .... the metal roof seems to work as part of the antennae .... I put a small metal plate on my trunk lid and it seemed to help gather the signal ..... Lastly if you have an RT look at my albums on how my Receiver is mounted inside my Glove-box - also I have not paid more than $ 5.00 per month = $ 30.00 for a six month subscription .... good luck ....Mike ../.PS, look at my album for what I did ...
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-25-2024 at 04:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've had Sirius radio for about 9 yrs. now, the signal comes from satellites. .... I've used it in different area's of the country .... What I've found and learned is .... it varies according to your Latitude ..... it varies according to the time of day ..... Trees don't affect the signal, Solid objects do. ... And what you called signal LOSS isn't necessarily what occurs, these I call Drop-Outs .... ie. the sound stops but you actually still have the signal .... the antennae's work better and are designed to be on the roof .... the metal roof seems to work as part of the antennae .... I put a small metal plate on my trunk lid and it seemed to help gather the signal ..... Lastly if you have an RT look at my albums on how my Receiver is mounted inside my Glove-box - also I have not paid more than $ 5.00 per month = $ 30.00 for a six month subscription .... good luck ....Mike
    This link shows which channels for internet based.
    https://www.siriusxm.com/channels

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    This link shows which channels for internet based.
    https://www.siriusxm.com/channels
    Thanks .... If the switch to "Internet" based is recent, I'll have to wait till May to find out if it matters, since my current subscription is in suspension till then ..... I realize the "internet" can be accessed using Satellites (like HUGESNET), so I'm not sure how this will work for the vehicle receivers????? ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-25-2024 at 05:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks .... If the switch to "Internet" based is recent, I'll have to wait till May to find out if it matters, since my current subscription is in suspension till then ..... I realize the "internet" can be accessed using Satellites (like HUGESNET), so I'm not sure how this will work for the vehicle receivers????? ...... Mike
    In my 2021 F-150 I listen to a lot of SiriusXm channels and started wondering why some channels dropped out and others did not while driving in my summer RV park which is heavily forested, this led me to find out one of my favorite music channels was internet only and the truck's internet link was providing the music. Starting in early Sept this year, my free 3 year connection to the internet expires and I will have to pay to continue it and the Ford provided Nav feature.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-25-2024 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

BlueKnight911

As for helping your satellite signal with a metal plate, I have F3-T (no trunk) antenna for radio is mounted on top rear of bike. I am receiving Sirius signal via smart phone.

Any ideas how to enhance signal for Sirius reception?
    2020 Spyder F3-T

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’m up here on the west coast of Canada, and now live right along the Canada/Washington State border (mountainous area) and have given up on Sirius. Our area is just not conducive to good reception. I have a lifetime membership and Sirius/XM WILL NOT sell me the $5.00 a month subscription. I used to live in Northern British Columbia and had great reception there.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    BlueKnight911

As for helping your satellite signal with a metal plate, I have F3-T (no trunk) antenna for radio is mounted on top rear of bike. I am receiving Sirius signal via smart phone.

Any ideas how to enhance signal for Sirius reception?
    Sirius reception to a Smart phone sorry but I have no idea's about that ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

If you are streaming XM/Sirius from an app on phone. The signal you are using is cell, not satellite right?
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Yes re. cell signal. Understand cell tower proximities' but wondering if I can reduce drops? Also, not sure how to re-find signal easier on Spyder? Now I just toggle back in forth to Bluetooth until signal is found again? Any thoughts?
    Thanks, Guys.

Cell signal being cell phone but using Bluetooth app to access Sirius Radio....so not sure?

BTW, accessing Sirius on phone free because I have the service in auto.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-26-2024 at 07:05 PM.
    2020 Spyder F3-T

Spyder Garage

BlueKnight 911

Stupid question. I have a 2011 RT-S would it not be easier for me to install XM receiver in trunk? I know it would be a problem to get to and change channel etc. but I will set it to either 60s or 70s music and leave it there anyway. I was concerned about heat in my glove box and I am lazy and not very mechanically inclined for running wires etc. Thanks Leon
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

I have Sirus XM in my car, I have not lost the signal.

I don't have it on my

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
    BlueKnight 911

Stupid question. I have a 2011 RT-S would it not be easier for me to install XM receiver in trunk? I know it would be a problem to get to and change channel etc. but I will set it to either 60s or 70s music and leave it there anyway. I was concerned about heat in my glove box and I am lazy and not very mechanically inclined for running wires etc. Thanks Leon
    " HEAT " .... I've had my Sirius receiver in the glovebox for about 9 yrs. now - it hasn't been affected that I can tell ..... In the trunk is the easiest and simplest.... I like 50's, 60's & 70's .... I programmed my receiver for those and I can usually change channels on the fly ( but not in the twistie's ) .... Did you look at my album on how I did it ????? ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
    BlueKnight 911

" HEAT " .... I've had my Sirius receiver in the glovebox for about 9 yrs. now - it hasn't been affected that I can tell ..... In the trunk is the easiest and simplest.... I like 50's, 60's & 70's .... I programmed my receiver for those and I can usually change channels on the fly ( but not in the twistie's ) .... Did you look at my album on how I did it ????? ....Mike
    Leaping, your 2011 RT might get somewhat more heat in the glovebox area than Mike's 2014, altho there's probably not all that much in it - the 2012's to a lesser extent but certainly the 2013's before the Heat Remediation Recall warrant a definite NO to putting anything in there that you really don't want par-boiled or melted!

But like Mike says about the easiest & the simplest...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Leaping, your 2011 RT might get somewhat more heat in the glovebox area than Mike's 2014, altho there's probably not all that much in it - the 2012's to a lesser extent but certainly the 2013's before the Heat Remediation Recall warrant a definite NO to putting anything in there that you really don't want par-boiled or melted!

But like Mike says about the easiest & the simplest...
    Sorry I hadn't considered that He has the V-twin which did produce more heat..... you can test your heat level if you have an digital oven thermometer with a probe ..... I doubt there's enough heat to effect the receiver tho .... good luck ....Mike