Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else had this 'Key Failed to Read' Problem?

Hello There Guys, while I was out and about today after filling the bike up with gas then when I went to start it, I had an error message Key Failed to read so I turned it off took the key out back in and started no problems has anyone else had this happen? No, I do not leave the key in my bike the dog or the chickens will try to steal it.
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    ICSI Ride Hand Brake Kit as my right leg and foot does not work that well due to MS
    The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    SHAD 58X in Carbon finish - Expandable TOP Case
    Pedal Box
    IPS Belt Tensioner and Handlebar Riser from Lamonster
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    Floating Rotors with EBC Brakes for the front
    I am now broke

I Should mention the Boss has a 900 Ryker Ralli next to my bike
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black

Spyder Garage

You may be in the beginning stages of having a communication problem between the key chip and the bikes antitheft system. It has been a problem in the past for a few people here. Go to the top of the page and in the search bar, put in DESS, & you will have a world of reading!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 07:52 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
    Hello There Guys, while I was out and about today after filling the bike up with gas then when I went to start it, I had an error message Key Failed to read so I turned it off took the key out back in and started no problems has anyone else had this happen? No, I do not leave the key in my bike the dog or the chickens will try to steal it.
    "Key Failed", "Bad Key", "DESS Error" - all the same thing. There's a crazy long thread on here about it - it's like 15+ pages long now. LOL!

Short story - there is an electronic ring around where the key goes in - it triggers the key to report its RFID tag - and that's sent to the DESS Module which interprets it and sends it to the ECU to determine if the key is valid. Anything that can put out RF noise (READ CELL PHONE - PHONE CHARGING HEAD - GPS) near the ignition area can cause signal issues. My personal experience - this is a bigger issue on more humid and/or cold days - not sure of the science there - but that's my personal findings.

Some have experienced the issue once and never again - some have it start off every now and then until eventually they are left stranded.

If the DESS module goes bad, you have 2 choices - replace it; or disable it! To disable it, you need BUDS with a Megatech license. A few of us have this and offer to disable it for folks for a small fee.

Well - I guess that story wasn't so short - but it wasn't 15 pages either. LOL! Moral of the story - if your phone is nearby - move it until you start the bike - if you get worried about it - decide if disabling the DESS is right for you - meaning and key cut correctly could then start your Spyder. If yes - find someone who can do it for you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 06:14 PM.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    "Key Failed", "Bad Key", "DESS Error" - all the same thing. There's a crazy long thread on here about it - it's like 15+ pages long now. LOL!

Short story - there is an electronic ring around where the key goes in - it triggers the key to report its RFID tag - and that's sent to the DESS Module which interprets it and sends it to the ECU to determine if the key is valid. Anything that can put out RF noise (READ CELL PHONE - PHONE CHARGING HEAD - GPS) near the ignition area can cause signal issues. My personal experience - this is a bigger issue on more humid and/or cold days - not sure of the science there - but that's my personal findings.

Some have experienced the issue once and never again - some have it start off every now and then until eventually they are left stranded.

If the DESS module goes bad, you have 2 choices - replace it; or disable it! To disable it, you need BUDS with a Megatech license. A few of us have this and offer to disable it for folks for a small fee.

Well - I guess that story wasn't so short - but it wasn't 15 pages either. LOL! Moral of the story - if your phone is nearby - move it until you start the bike - if you get worried about it - decide if disabling the DESS is right for you - meaning and key cut correctly could then start your Spyder. If yes - find someone who can do it for you.
    Hello and thank you for the feedback after reading one page with 14 left it is quite obvious there is a problem that needs to be addressed there. Like mentioned it could happen to me once then it may never occur again, but that does not fill me with confidence as it is my only way out as I am in the country, as I am unable to drive a car safely due to MS.
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    ICSI Ride Hand Brake Kit as my right leg and foot does not work that well due to MS
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    Pedal Box
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    I am now broke

Spyder Garage

Right on Latrappe, second time it happened to me I was stranded so I had it disabled. Very disappointed in BRP not addressing this. Same technology in millions of cars with no issue.
    Vince F in Niagara Falls
    2022 Spyder F3 Special Edition
    2020 Ryker Rally, sold
    2022 F3S , Stock Lamonster black diamond Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Like JD said above, if it was me, I would have it disarmed and be done with that gremlin! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello and thank you for the feedback after reading one page with 14 left it is quite obvious there is a problem that needs to be addressed there. Like mentioned it could happen to me once then it may never occur again, but that does not fill me with confidence as it is my only way out as I am in the country, as I am unable to drive a car safely due to MS.
    Dis-abling is the Best option ..... How ever achieving that may not be possible .... Do what I did to my DESS connections to make it a 10 minute procedure to do it in the field with socket wrench & socket .... Go to my Albums ( with explanations ) and see how I did it .... Of course you will have to get a DESS module as a spare ( $ 145.00 ) .... good luck ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Had the Bad Key show up again, placed in the spare and it worked, but for how long, I Have also been watching this, which I found today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqXa1_nU8g&t=42s They made two videos about it...

I also spoke to the dealer, who was saying it could be the battery (which it is not, as I just replaced that!) He then proceeded to tell me to put a multi meter on the battery and crank the motor to see how low the voltage drops to test it; after taking three deep breaths and a big chug of my beer so I would not call him an idiot, I then proceeded to tell him it is reading a bad key and it does nothing other than tell me it's a bad key (as much I was tempted to say you must be fed peanuts, and then call him a monkey!) I remained calm and drank some more beer.
    So, I am now in the search for a new Can Am shop who has the required BUDS so I can disable it. Last thing I want is to be stranded and have someone tell me the key is worn out
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-24-2024 at 05:41 AM.
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    Pedal Box
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    I am now broke

Spyder Garage

Had the Bad Key show up again, placed in the spare and it worked, but for how long, I Have also been watching this, which I found today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqXa1_nU8g&t=42s They made two videos about it...

I also spoke to the dealer, who was saying it could be the battery (which it is not, as I just replaced that!) He then proceeded to tell me to put a multi meter on the battery and crank the motor to see how low the voltage drops to test it; after taking three deep breaths and a big chug of my beer so I would not call him an idiot, I then proceeded to tell him it is reading a bad key and it does nothing other than tell me it's a bad key (as much I was tempted to say you must be fed peanuts, and then call him a monkey!) I remained calm and drank some more beer.
    So, I am now in the search for a new Can Am shop who has the required BUDS so I can disable it. Last thing I want is to be stranded and have someone tell me the key is worn out
    Very ironic that you refuse to accomplish the battery test he suggested. Granted, your bad key indication is not during engine cranking, but the guy did recommend one of the first viable steps in helping you determine a cause while saving the hassle of removing the battery and testing it. Fully understand you have a new battery, and yes it should be acceptable, however, a failing new battery can and does happen sometimes.

The tech suggesting troubleshoot and verify, rather than simply replacing parts as a best guess is not normally a bad thing.

Good battery or not, certainly disable DESS.

Spyder Garage

Never never never own a Spyder with only one key. If you buy an used one that only has one key, go to your dealer and have a second key made ASP. They can not make a key unless you have one to copy.

And the third key!!! Go to a lock shop and have them cut an ilco X270 TMC1(Triumph Motorcycle) key to your key. This will open the rear lock for the top and side cases. Now stow your second key in one of the three compartments. Keep this third key separate from how you carry the Spyder key. Two things, your second key is available if the first one gets a key error and if you lose your key while out, you can get to the second one even if the trike is locked.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Never never never own a Spyder with only one key. If you buy an used one that only has one key, go to your dealer and have a second key made ASP. They can not make a key unless you have one to copy.

And the third key!!! Go to a lock shop and have them cut an ilco X270 TMC1(Triumph Motorcycle) key to your key. This will open the rear lock for the top and side cases. Now stow your second key in one of the three compartments. Keep this third key separate from how you carry the Spyder key. Two things, your second key is available if the first one gets a key error and if you lose your key while out, you can get to the second one even if the trike is locked.
    Exactly! I did the very same thing years ago in hopes of defeating the DESS gremlin. So far so good.

Spyder Garage

Latrappe,

I sent you a PM.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the response guys the battery is OK good voltage and amps, will be going to the shop and get some more keys cut and programmed.
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    Pedal Box
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    I am now broke

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the response guys the battery is OK good voltage and amps, will be going to the shop and get some more keys cut and programmed.
    Having an extra key isn't such a bad idea, but it won't matter HOW MANY keys you have when the DESS fails... and while knowing for sure that your battery is up to the task is a good start, cos these Spyders are EXTREMELY power hungry, so it's probably a good idea to get it load tested anyway (even a brand new battery can fail, especially if it wasn't properly charged before installation; only when you load test or even if you use the rudimentary multi-meter check, look for a minimum of 12 volts while cranking the starter - these Spyders REALLY ARE EXTREMELY power hungry & anything less than that juuuust might not be enough to get all the computers going properly while everything else is going on at the same time!! ) from what you've described, it sounds more like it's a DESS issue... which means either replace whichever bit has failed/is causing your particular problem, or get it turned off, and that means finding someone with BUDS Megatech which may not be easy on the Sunshine Coast of Qld?!

So check out the DESS Again thread that Deanna started - it's a long read, closed now, but it should help make it fairly clear as to what you're likely facing, and how to resolve it using the replace it method (note Blueknight911's earlier post on that ) or find someone with a Megatech License to turn it off entirely. There are more threads about this on the Forum, but you can begin by checking out that thread started by Deanna here:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ght=DESS+AGAIN

Good Luck!

Ps: this does serve to remind me of yet another reason that I'm glad that I'm still riding a 2013 RT with the revvier motor and the DESS that just works without any risk of stranding me a long way from home!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-25-2024 at 08:33 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

100%
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Peter - isn't there a place in Oz that flashes the ECU that can also disable DESS?
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post

HI Jdr00ejr,

My previous Spyder was a 2014 RTS-SE6 (Sold it last year) and when I had that Spyder, I got the following Problem Intermittently - the ignition key was not recognized, causing the unit not to start. The D.E.S.S ERROR message was displayed in the Cluster.

Solution: Replace the D.E.S.S. Module. Program the keys using B.U.D.S module the problem reoccurs, update the previously opened BOSSWEB Case or Open a BOSSWEB Case and report this situation.

Technical Explanation: When the D.E.S.S. module sends its signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna is too strong and the key chip is SATURATED. The saturation changes the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S. module causing a bad lecture of the key chip.

They (BRP) had cases where a cell phone or magnetic card placed near the ignition switch caused this. This included any devices that may emit some type of frequency. However, when I had my previous Spyder I did not carry my cell phone or any other electronic devices or credit cards in/or near the glove box, which was near the ignition switch. I carried my cell phone etc. in the trunk all the time. *****

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-25-2024 at 08:27 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Peter - isn't there a place in Oz that flashes the ECU that can also disable DESS?
    There is such a place Freddy, and I sent that info to Latrappe by PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    HI Jdr00ejr,

My previous Spyder was a 2014 RTS-SE6 (Sold it last year) and when I had that Spyder, I got the following Problem Intermittently - the ignition key was not recognized, causing the unit not to start. The D.E.S.S ERROR message was displayed in the Cluster.

Solution: Replace the D.E.S.S. Module. Program the keys using B.U.D.S module the problem reoccurs, update the previously opened BOSSWEB Case or Open a BOSSWEB Case and report this situation.

Technical Explanation: When the D.E.S.S. module sends its signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna is too strong and the key chip is SATURATED. The saturation changes the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S. module causing a bad lecture of the key chip.

They (BRP) had cases where a cell phone or magnetic card placed near the ignition switch caused this. This included any devices that may emit some type of frequency. However, when I had my previous Spyder I did not carry my cell phone or any other electronic devices or credit cards in/or near the glove box, which was near the ignition switch. I carried my cell phone etc. in the trunk all the time. *****

Deanna
    I had my DESS module re-placed on my 14 RT ..... The BRP Techs that did the work .... DID NOT DO ANYTHING TO MY KEYS ..... Also the CELL PHONE and /or MAGNETIC CARD thing was a S.W.AG. Theory pushed by BRP because they had no idea what was causing this ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Guys, Quick update the spare key is now showing bad key as well I have checked the battery voltages and it's all good, 12.58 volts with the ignition on as well as off, could not start the engine to test that one.

When I got the bike running, I found turn the bike on push the key down like you are going to remove the rear seat (F3S) let it up and start the bike, well that worked, I will be bringing it to one of the local places up here, the mechanic there has dealt with it numerous times. Will keep you all posted.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-08-2024 at 05:09 AM.
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    Pedal Box
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    I am now broke

Spyder Garage

Hi Guys, Quick update the spare key is now showing bad key as well I have checked the battery voltages and it's all good, 12.58 volts with the ignition on as well as off, could not start the engine to test that one.

When I got the bike running, I found turn the bike on push the key down like you are going to remove the rear seat (F3S) let it up and start the bike, well that worked, I will be bringing it to one of the local places up here, the mechanic there has dealt with it numerous times. will keep you all posted.
    After watching the guy that moved the sensor ring up a little, I was wondering if pushing the key in would not do the same thing? You have answered that question.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-08-2024 at 05:11 AM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the help and kind words, DESS has been fixed back to riding my. again.
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    Pedal Box
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    I am now broke

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the help and kind words, DESS has been fixed back to riding my. again.
    , and what did they do to fix it ????? ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Hello guys, they worked on a module that controls the DESS, on the
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    Pedal Box
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete