Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    0So what happens if you DON'T hold the shifter forward for long at all, but instead only flick it forward for less than 1/3rd of a second, as mentioned in that linked thread?
    My post only applies to a very specific case, not shifting in general. By holding the paddle a bit longer when attempting to shift from 1st to N, I was unintentionally invoking a double shift. But, since I hadn't pressed the R button, nothing happened.
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Spyder RSS

Spyder Garage

Mystery solved!

As soon as I took off the front of the HCM, I saw it. When I manually shifted the bike into reverse from neutral when it wouldn't start the first time, I removed the shift lever. I should have removed the shaft. When I reconnected it, the hydraulic cylinder was all the way back. It should have been in the middle. I don't think I messed with the shifter when I had the shift lever off, but I might have. Since I took the HCM off the bike, I'm going go ahead and disassemble the hydraulic cylinder and inspect it. It doesn't slide from side to side as easy as I think it should. If I hadn't replaced the shifter and purchased the oil tester gauge, this whole ordeal would have only cost me about $60 to fix, but the paddle shifters are known to wear out and the oil pressure tester only cost me $40. I would have spent a lot more money if I had taken it to a Can Am mechanic.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2024 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Well, Dog..I’m just going to have to give it to you straight. I’m sorry if I sound mean, but except for the legacy issue of your center display not working, everything else has been self inflicted. It all started when you grabbed a wrench. It’s fundamental. You have to know how to start your bike.

I sort of owe you an apology. The damage might have been self-inflicted. I failed to mark the shift lever or the transmission when I removed the shift lever from the transmission. When I reconnected it, I trusted the gear shift shaft to be in the correct position, but it wasn't. It was stuck all the way back, as if the bike was trying to up-shift. I must have tried to put it into first gear with the shift lever disconnected. In my defense, I got the advice to manually shift the bike using a 13 mm wrench from a different Spyder forum. The user manual has it in there too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2024 at 07:31 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cadaverdog View Post
    I sort of owe you an apology. The damage might have been self-inflicted. I failed to mark the shift lever or the transmission when I removed the shift lever from the transmission. When I reconnected it, I trusted the gear shift shaft to be in the correct position, but it wasn't. It was stuck all the way back, as if the bike was trying to up-shift. I must have tried to put it into first gear with the shift lever disconnected. In my defense, I got the advice to manually shift the bike using a 13 mm wrench from a different Spyder forum. The user manual has it in there too.
    I commend you on your "sort of apology" it takes a big man to do this publicly ..... Put this in your memory log "Snowbelt Spyder is one of the smartest members we have" ..... JMHO ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2024 at 09:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I commend you on your "sort of apology" it takes a big man to do this publicly ..... Put this in your memory log "Snowbelt Spyder is one of the smartest members we have" ..... JMHO ....Mike
    I know damn near everything about there is to know about the HCM now. I know you can test to see if the TCM is sending the signal to activate the solenoids using a test light. I know which pins on the 8-pin connector go to the individual solenoids. I know how to swap the up-shift and downshift solenoids and change the wiring to the 8-pin connector. I did that to see if the up-shift solenoid was bad. It wasn't.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2024 at 03:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

I know damn near everything about there is to know about the HCM now. I know you can test to see if the TCM is sending the signal to activate the solenoids using a test light. I know which pins on the 8-pin connector go to the individual solenoids. I know how to swap the up-shift and downshift solenoids and change the wiring to the 8-pin connector. I did that to see if the up-shift solenoid was bad. It wasn't.
    I have a friend that use to tell his kids, never deprive yourself from learning things the hard way!! And from your mistakes we learn also, thanks for sharing!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

It sounds like you found the cause of a problem that you introduced. Have you found the cause of the problem that you had in the first place?
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Spyder RSS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    It sounds like you found the cause of a problem that you introduced. Have you found the cause of the problem that you had in the first place?
    Most likely the bike didn't start because I shut it off in gear. When it wouldn't start I removed the gear shift lever from the transmission without marking it. If the HCM relies on the transmission to push or pull the piston inside the hydraulic cylinder into it's neutral position and I hit the shifter while the gear shift lever was off the transmission, which is most likely what happened I inadvertently caused the problem when I reinstalled the gear shift lever in the wrong position. I didn't try stepping on the brake while I started it. I was not aware of that procedure or I would have tried that first. I'll find out when I finish messing with the HCM and put the bike back together. I'll be able to see the position of the piston until I reinstall the cover. If it still doesn't up-shift I'll keep on messing with it until it does.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Most likely the bike didn't start because I shut it off in gear. When it wouldn't start I removed the gear shift lever from the transmission without marking it. If the HCM relies on the transmission to push or pull the piston inside the hydraulic cylinder into it's neutral position and I hit the shifter while the gear shift lever was off the transmission, which is most likely what happened I inadvertently caused the problem when I reinstalled the gear shift lever in the wrong position. I didn't try stepping on the brake while I started it. I was not aware of that procedure or I would have tried that first. I'll find out when I finish messing with the HCM and put the bike back together. I'll be able to see the position of the piston until I reinstall the cover. If it still doesn't up-shift I'll keep on messing with it until it does.
    Glad you got this fixed ..... many, many folks here will say it doesn't matter if you put it in neutral when you shut the engine off, However I'm not in that camp ..... I ALWAYS leave it in Neutral before I shut it off .....JMHO ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Glad you got this fixed ..... many, many folks here will say it doesn't matter if you put it in neutral when you shut the engine off, However I'm not in that camp ..... I ALWAYS leave it in Neutral before I shut it off .....JMHO ...Mike
    It doesn't if you know to step on the brake when you start it. Unfortunately I found that out too late. When I found out I didn't have to put my foot on the brake to start it if it's in neutral I got into the habit of starting it up without getting on it and letting it run long enough to warm up the engine so I could check the oil before I rode it. I'll try to remember to check the oil after I ride it from now on if I manage to fix it so I can ride it again. I took the hydraulic cylinder on the HCM apart today. When I removed the bellows there was fresh oil inside them. The piston linings looked OK but since I have it apart and had to order new gaskets I went ahead and ordered new piston linings.