Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 ST Surging on Start-Up - Could it be a bad MAP Sensor?

OK..... Last two times I took my 2014 ST out. Both times aprox. 1 week apart. At start up, it surges..... I gave it a min & it settled down it ran fine on the ride. Today..... One week later, it surges bad and if I just let it idle it cuts off. If I give it a little throttle it kinda pops & surges right on. I did not feel comfortable takin it out! SO..... Someone PLEASE tell me what's goin on with my machine. TYIA
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-15-2024 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    OK.....Last two times I took my 2014 st out. Both times aprox. 1 week apart. At start up it surges.....I gave it a min. n it settled down it ran fine on the ride. Today.....One week later it surges bad and if I just let it idle it cuts off. If I give it a little throttle it kinda pops n surges right on. I did not feel comfortable takin it out! SO.....Someone PLEASE tell me whats goin on with my machine. TYIA
    As far as engine management or items related to the engine is your Spyder stock or have modified it ????? .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Well.... I did the canister thing & replaced the plugs & wires with Ron's stuff a couple of years back. And I have a slip-on muffler. Other than that, it's stock. AND... I will say that canister thing is the best thing I ever did for this machine. It's been running great. And it's got non-ethanol gas in it. I did not replace the vacuum hoses and am thinking that could be the issue. BUT I don't know! So.... I am hoping that you guys can help me out a bit before I open it up. TY SO MUCH!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-15-2024 at 05:12 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 14 RT surges a bit on start up but calms right right down. Remember we are fly by wire so I would suspect something in that area may be the issue. That's way over my pay grade to deal with that stuff so I'd have to take it to a dealer for a Can Am spyder service tech to figure it out. Good luck and let us know what solves your problem.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Did you put heavier oil in it?

I know when I went from the 5w-30 xps oil to the 10w-40 rotella T-6 if I don't let it warm up some before I head out it will surge and sometimes even stall coming off of a stop if I give it too much gas until the oil warms up during cold weather.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 02-15-2024 at 05:06 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never had the problem when I went to 10w40. It improved my ability to catch that sweet spot to shift into first/reverse without the KLUNK.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well.... I did the canister thing & replaced the plugs & wires with Ron's stuff a couple of years back. And I have a slip-on muffler. Other than that, it's stock. AND... I will say that canister thing is the best thing I ever did for this machine. It's been running great. And it's got non-ethanol gas in it. I did not replace the vacuum hoses and am thinking that could be the issue. BUT I don't know! So.... I am hoping that you guys can help me out a bit before I open it up. TY SO MUCH!
    Tonyo you may be on the right track with the vacuum lines (also keep in mind bad fuel can happen anytime). https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t=vacuum+lines
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Air leak. Change the vacuum lines. That is a known issue with that engine and they are ten years old.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Tonyo you may be on the right track with the vacuum lines (also keep in mind bad fuel can happen anytime). https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t=vacuum+lines
    very likely

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

THANK YOU Everybody! I run Castrol 5/40 oil. My plan is to replace the vacuum hoses. If that don't cure it.... I'll get fresh gas and a bottle of injector cleaner. LAST Resort will be the dreaded dealership!!!!!!!! WISH ME LUCK ALL. Thanks again for the input.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-15-2024 at 08:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Did you put heavier oil in it?

I know when I went from the 5w-30 xps oil to the 10w-40 rotella T-6 if I don't let it warm up some before I head out it will surge and sometimes even stall coming off of a stop if I give it too much gas until the oil warms up during cold weather.
    I use 10W40 Rotella in my 1330 engine and No issues ... and I live in a cooler climate zone than you ..... I don't think it's the oil .... JMHO ....Mike

Thanks for the info.... IMHO if the Vacuum hoses are original OEM, this is a common issue.... Get some Silicone hoses & see if it goes away..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-16-2024 at 01:10 AM.

Spyder Garage

I think your heading on the right track. I would give it a couple shots of a good injector cleaner and get it out on the highway and give it a few good rev's!! And yes, get rid of the bad lines, did it for a friend a few years ago, and he's still thinks it was the best thing I ever did for him!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I use 10W40 Rotella in my 1330 engine and No issues ... and I live in a cooler climate zone than you ..... I don't think it's the oil .... JMHO ....Mike
    Most likely it is not his oil, but do you go out riding when it is below 30 deg f like I do? It happens when I am in a rush and just take off from a cold start and don't let it warm up for about 10-15 minutes.

I take the long way around my block now if I do so I don't have to stop at a stop sign. Once the oil has warmed up there is no other issues. I didn't have this issue when running the 5w-30.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 02-16-2024 at 12:56 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Most likely it is not his oil, but do you go out riding when it is below 30 deg f like I do? It happens when I am in a rush and just take off from a cold start and don't let it warm up for about 10-15 minutes.

I take the long way around my block now if I do so I don't have to stop at a stop sign. Once the oil has warmed up there is no other issues. I didn't have this issue when running the 5w-30.
    My expertise is with Tires .... But I think if you are using Synthetic oil ( like Rotella ) the difference between viscosity of 5W vs. 10-W is not significant ..... ask Ron .... Mike

Spyder Garage

OK....I have opened it up. The front hose is no problem. BUT I can't even see the back one. I have taken that airbox out b/4 n said I'd never do that again! LOL... Is there a trick to getting that back one out and replaced? Educate me here guys. I really appreciate you folks knowledge. TYIA Tony
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 06:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

OK Update. I found a video and now know what must be done to get to the back hose. SO, I tried to get the map sensor off and it's very tight. I stripped it out! Imagine that I took off the front hose and looked it over and it has a crack! That made me feel much better. I'm going to the parts store to get a piece of that hose and replace the front one and fire it off with my fingers crossed that the back one is OK. I'm not messing with it anymore today. It's 31 mins. 'til beerthirty. THANKS EVERBODY. CHEERS
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 06:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

OK Update. I found a video and now know what must be done to get to the back hose. SO, I tried to get the map sensor off and it's very tight. I stripped it out! Imagine that I took off the front hose and looked it over and it has a crack! That made me feel much better. I'm going to the parts store to get a piece of that hose and replace the front one and fire it off with my fingers crossed that the back one is OK. I'm not messing with it anymore today. It's 31 mins. 'til beerthirty. THANKS EVERBODY. CHEERS
    OK .... be advised most of those vacuum hoses LOOKED fine ..... However, the cracks are generally MICRO-SCOPIC .... IMHO, if one was bad, they both are ..... Hope you got it fixed .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-29-2024 at 04:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

I had two vacuum hoses that looked fine, However, they literally fell off when I touched them because they were so loose on the nipple fittings.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

OK.... Went to the parts store and got a foot of their 1/8" inside diameter hose. Cut it and slid it on. It's not tight. Spyder won't even start with it. I put my glasses on and measured it and it is actually 5/32...... It was only a buck. So no biggie. The original is 1/8 inside diameter. SO, now my question is... Where do I get the correct diameter hose? I see it on ebay for approx. ten bucks per hose. Is that my only option? I just called Advance Auto and he has silicone that is 3/32 inside. Do ya think that would work? Thanks Everybody. Tony
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-29-2024 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We used to check for vacuum leaks by squirting starting fluid in the area and listening for an RPM change.

Spyder Garage

OK....Went to the parts store and got a foot of their 1/8" inside diameter hose. Cut it and slid it on. It's not tight. Spyder won't even start with it. I put my glasses on and measured it and it is actually 5/32...... It was only a buck. So no biggie. The original is 1/8 inside diameter. SO, Now my question is... Where do I get the correct diameter hose? I see it on ebay for approx. ten bucks per hose. Is that my only option? I just called Advance Auto and he has silicone that is 3/32 inside. Do ya think that would work? Thanks Everybody. Tony
    few report finding silicone replacement at NAPA.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

And change them both!!!! You'll be sorry if you don't.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

OK.... Finally got the hose. Had to order it thru ebay. I got the map sensor off and moved a couple things to help open a hole to get to the back one. I'm gonna post the video of how to do it. There are two small hoses attached to a metal plate in front. I need to remove one of them from that bracket, but I don't want to break it out. SO, how does it release/come off? ALSO.... He removed a plug.... Does that just slide off or is there a place to squeeze to get it off? I can't thank you guys enough. Tony

https://youtu.be/hHKrsjPzAYw?si=XYEqBegYnbi9U4CK
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-29-2024 at 04:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Check your Canister-Ectomy to be sure the blocked off PCV Valve port is not sucking any air.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I will check that if this hose replacement doesn't work. I'm thinking I screwed a bolt into that hose. Anyway, the issue right now that's holding me up is ignorance about how to move that rubber hose thing out of its bracket without breaking it. Take a look at the video I posted, and you will see what I'm talking about. Thanks again for that advice. Tony
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-29-2024 at 04:47 PM.