Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question What's the consensus on Kenda KR 20 rear tires? Better than stock?

What is the consensus of opinions for the Kenda KR 20 rear tire? Is there an improvement over the stock Kenda? My OEM Kenda wore the center of the tread down in 6000 miles, I do pull a 200 lbs trailer. Just wondering if Kenda aftermarket attempt is an improvement over OEM.
    Last edited by bikerchris1270; 02-16-2024 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

What type of “improvement”, Chris?…..performance? longevity?
    Out here in Oz, they work pretty well. The local service guy recommends the Kanine, and is seeing around 25-30,000km out of them. (15-20,000 miles)…..while the stocks get 15-20,000km. For some reason, our roads seem to be more forgiving than the US.

I have not noticed any difference in handling between the rear stock and the Kanine in wet or dry……both rear tyres work well(around 10,000km on each).

Bear in mind, we are only talking the rear here. I have Goodyears on the front (I probably would have gone with Kanine on the front, simply for consistently, but you couldn’t get them during Covid). The Goodyears work very well also.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I used the Kanine 20 all around and they work great for me. lots of grip, no issues at all, I will use another one on the back once this one is done (I have about 8k on it so far), if I can find them.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The KR 20 is not worth the money compared to most Auto tires, which will give 30,000 mi. to almost 50,000 mi. ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-15-2024 at 05:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The KR 20 is not worth the money compared to most Auto tires, which will give 30,000 mi. to almost 50,000 mi. ..... Mike
    I'm curious....what is your personal recommendation in an American tire for your RT? Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-15-2024 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2016 RTS SE6
    '64 Honda CA95 "Dream"

Spyder Garage

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/vredestein-quatrac

The QUATRAC is one of the favorite tires here for a few years.
    165/60R15 or 175/55R15 fronts, 205/60R15 rear 17/18 psi fronts and rear

There are other members who have there Favorite's also. MRS.T.P. and I both run Quatrac's
    T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 02-15-2024 at 06:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Prof View Post
    I'm curious....what is your personal recommendation in an American tire for your RT? Thanks.
    I have recommended "Vredestein's" (any model) for years (front &/or rear)..... I now personally use tires from RIKEN for the rear ($20.00 less) from TireRack ..... and 8,000 mi. in all kinds of weather I really like it ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-16-2024 at 01:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

On the front yes not on the back lol

Spyder Garage

I have recommended "Vredestein's" (any model) for years (front &/or rear)..... I now personally use tires from RIKEN for the rear ($20.00 less) from TireRack ..... and 8,000 mi. in all kinds of weather I really like it ..... Mike
    What size rear Riken?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I put Vredestein Quadtrac 175/55R15 on the front and Riken Raptor HR 215/60R15 on the rear. I had the Kanines all the way around and didn't think that they were much better than the originals. I listened to Mike (BlueKnight911) and went from Minnesota to Buffalo, NY and back home and I was very happy with the way they handled. I was caught in several frog strangling rains and never had any reason to be concerned.

Just my experience.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    What size rear Riken?
    215/60-15 ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    On the front yes not on the back lol
    ???????? - this relates to what post here ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

???????? - this relates to what post here ...... Mike
    I’d say it relates to the very first line of the original post, Mike…..an opinion of the KR20 on the rear.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I’d say it relates to the very first line of the original post, Mike…..an opinion of the KR20 on the rear.

Pete
    OK, I guess he's not aware of the "Reply with Quote feature" ..... which simplifies things a lot .....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-17-2024 at 05:14 AM.

Spyder Garage

I sure do like the General Altimax for the rear. Our 2021's both came with crappy Kendas and they were both shot under 10k miles.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'll run my new (820 mile) OEM Kenda this upcoming season, but a Altimax/Vredestein/Riken will be its replacement over winter storage.
    Last edited by troop; 02-17-2024 at 10:28 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

On my Champagne 2018 I first put Federal Formoza on the front and a General Altimax out back. I then bought PPA wheels and Vredestein's for the front. Vredestein Quatrac handle the twisties a little better than the Federals with a BajaRon sway bar.

Recently I bought second 2018 and moved the PPA wheels and Vredestein Quatrac to it, put the OEM wheels Federal back on the Champagne one. The new Asphalt Grey one came with Elka shocks on the front, I added a BajaRon sway bar, and it is a monster in the twisties. It has a Kenda (AKA bicycle/wheelbarrow tire company) out back and next fall when I get back to Arizona I will install a car tire on the rear. My plan is to Fly back to AZ in early June and ride the Champagne one to WA as my summer trike. Sig line has a picture of both of them. The KRX SxS will commute back and forth on a trailer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-17-2024 at 05:18 AM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    What is the consensus of opinions for the Kenda KR 20 rear tire? Is there an improvement over the stock Kenda? My OEM Kenda wore the center of the tread down in 6000 miles, I do pull a 200 lbs trailer. Just wondering if Kenda aftermarket attempt is an improvement over OEM.
    We have had Kanines on 2 F3s and will address your question directly: they are vastly better than the OEM Kenda tires. They wear flat across the face and we're still counting miles at 15K and they are in good shape (I don't have a tread depth measurement). They have better traction, wet and dry, than the OEM tires. The one tire we tried early on was a Kumho, which was worse for wear (out of round tread depth) and traction, especially in wet conditions, compared to the OEM Kenda. As far as mileage, most riders on this form will age out of a 40K mile tire well before they actually wear the tire out.

OEM Kenda tires will. indeed, wear the center out on the tire. Although once it reaches a point, the shoulders start wearing down vs the center. We have run the OEM Kenda tires well over 16K miles.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    We have had Kanines on 2 F3s and will address your question directly: they are vastly better than the OEM Kenda tires. They wear flat across the face and we're still counting miles at 15K and they are in good shape (I don't have a tread depth measurement). They have better traction, wet and dry, than the OEM tires. The one tire we tried early on was a Kumho, which was worse for wear (out of round tread depth) and traction, especially in wet conditions, compared to the OEM Kenda. As far as mileage, most riders on this form will age out of a 40K mile tire well before they actually wear the tire out.

OEM Kenda tires will. indeed, wear the center out on the tire. Although once it reaches a point, the shoulders start wearing down vs the center. We have run the OEM Kenda tires well over 16K miles.
    For your own benefit read BAJARON'S post from today about Kenda tires..... He has an excellent explanation ...... Mike

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...01#post1698101
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-18-2024 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added link. ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post

How one question can go 9 different directions……..thank you for answering the question. ��
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

On my second Spyder and have no issues with the oem tires. Been in 29 states from Oregon to New Hampshire to Florida and Mexican border with these two bikes. All kinds of weather and road conditions. Can't say anything negative about how the bikes handled or how the tires wear. I am not big on checking air pressure that much. Have 11K on back tire of the 2022 F3Limited and looks like little wear. We all have our likes and dislikes about almost everything. As long as you're happy with what you have, so be it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    How one question can go 9 different directions……..thank you for answering the question. ��
    Unfortunately, so many people want to “see their name up in lights”, Chris, and take threads (and FB questions), down ratholes for that reason. . Sometimes it is accidental, but most times…….not

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.