Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Let the work begin... 2015 F3 with a new (used) engine being installed.

Through some great advice received here on Spyder Lovers and a later diagnosis from the mechanic, it was determined that my 1330 engine needed to be replaced.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...s-a-new-engine!

The previous owner attempted to change the plugs (no clue why) with CHAMPION spark plugs on the 2015 Spyder, with 10,000 miles, and broke a plug off into the #2 cylinder, doing ALL kinds of damage.

IMG_1029.jpg

So, the engine needed either rebuilt (WAY too much money) or I needed to replace the engine.

I found a 2019 engine, from a wrecked RT with 1096 miles on it, that I purchased.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-a-1330-engine

I was able to swap the transmission cover and oil pump cover with my old engine so I would have the powder-coated finished. (yes, new gaskets were used).

IMG_1037.jpg

Today, I took it to my (not so) local dealer for the engine swap. When they saw the bike, they commented that it looked new and that the stickers will still on the bike. The technician told me that in ALL his years of working on this bike, he has seen ONE other engine go bad. It was similar situation, where user error caused the problems.

The swap will cost me about $2000. Because I was going to attempt the swap myself originally, I had purchased the oil kit, plugs, coolant, plastic plugs, etc. They agreed to use all of my supplies. Saves me a few bucks.

I will keep you posted and a HUGE thank you to the community for dealing with me during my frustrations and offering advice, even when I didn't want to face my issues.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-13-2024 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Added links to previous threads for continuity...